"Proximity to CBD" - what a ....

notpom

As I mentioned earlier, the usual dogma of living "close to CBD" does not work for Adelaide at all. Adelaide is not an cultural, scientific, educational, technology center. With the death of automotive industry it is no longer an industrial centre.

And in Adelaide living close to the city centre is especially pointless. You can get from the end of the Southern Expressway to the downtown in about half an hour.

Living close to the CBD you get nothing apart from hustle and bustle, pollution, drugs and crime.

Today has become a turning point for the trend of gravitating to the city centres (for all Australian capital cities, not just Adelaide).

I am not going to discuss immigration policies here, but it is clear that terrorism now has firm roots in the Australian soil.

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/lindt-chocolat-cafe-hostage-drama-in-martin-place-sydney-20141215-1278cx.html

Today's hostage situation will make people with brains to think twice before they go into the densely populated areas that are the easy target of the terrorists.

Likewise, businesses will be forced to review their risk management strategies. I would not be mistaken to much by estimating that 90% of office workers can work remotely, especially given rollout of NBN.

Writing is on the wall.

Guest Guest75
As I mentioned earlier, the usual dogma of living "close to CBD" does not work for Adelaide at all. Adelaide is not an cultural, scientific, educational, technology center. With the death of automotive industry it is no longer an industrial centre.

And in Adelaide living close to the city centre is especially pointless. You can get from the end of the Southern Expressway to the downtown in about half an hour.

Living close to the CBD you get nothing apart from hustle and bustle, pollution, drugs and crime.

Today has become a turning point for the trend of gravitating to the city centres (for all Australian capital cities, not just Adelaide).

I am not going to discuss immigration policies here, but it is clear that terrorism now has firm roots in the Australian soil.

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/lindt-chocolat-cafe-hostage-drama-in-martin-place-sydney-20141215-1278cx.html

Today's hostage situation will make people with brains to think twice before they go into the densely populated areas that are the easy target of the terrorists.

Likewise, businesses will be forced to review their risk management strategies. I would not be mistaken to much by estimating that 90% of office workers can work remotely, especially given rollout of NBN.

Writing is on the wall.

I disagree with virtually all of the above.

Even though I live in the outlying suburb of Hallett Cove I would not deter people from considering closer to the city.

As to your statement that Adelaide is not a cultural center??? - Rubbish, I am now involved with one aspect of the entertainment sector and I can tell you factually it is growing rapidly.

Please do your homework.

Let others make their own minds up rather than trying to ram your opinion down their throats.

Agreed. There are all sorts of reasons for deciding to live in one area over another. Personally I hate feeling isolated from a place, regardless of the actual travel time and for me travelling on the freeway makes me feel like I'm miles away from anywhere. There is no way I could commute up the freeway everyday because of this (worth saying that this is my personal opinion and I do not expect others to feel the same. I used to live just a couple of fields from the rest of town and felt isolated as well. It's nothing to do with distance and everything to do with how it makes me feel).

I love living on the East of the city. I'm so not bothered about the beach except for holidays and I love being in a quite suburb close to the hills and conservation parks. I love the local outdoor pools and would much rather go to an outdoor pool on a hot day than the beach. I love the fact the we are only 9kms from the CBD and have good public transport from the area we live in. I love the creek that runs down the centre of my suburb and I love all the trees lining the streets here. There are other areas I would like to live in but Rostrever gives me a good compromise between the kind of location I like and affordability.

Deciding where to live is a very personal decision. What is one person's idea of paradise is another person's idea of hell. What feels right to one will feel wrong to another. While I love Rostrevor I'm sensible enough to recognise that others would hate it. When choosing where to live we often have to make compromises between the ideal, the affordable and the commutable. And for those of us with kids the desirability (or otherwise) of the local schools also comes in to play.

I disagree with virtually all of the above.

Even though I live in the outlying suburb of Hallett Cove I would not deter people from considering closer to the city.

Second, neither myself nor you can deter or attract people to the particular area.

What I am doing, I am drawing your attention to the fact that if you were suicide bomber it would not be a big dilemma for you what to target - Hallett Cove or apartment complex in Glenelg.

What I am telling you - that as of today living in Glenelg has turned from "cool" to "silly". Not all people realised that yet, but they surely would after some time. When you driving on an expressway, and speed limit changes from 80 to 100, some people start going faster straight away, some people realise that after going slow for another 10 km.

Edited by snifter
Removed line of text

What I am doing, I am drawing your attention to the fact that if you were suicide bomber it would not be a big dilemma for you what to target - Hallett Cove or apartment complex in Glenelg.km.

Hallett Cove shopping centre I would have thought would have been better then a chocolate shop !!!!!

Second, neither myself nor you can deter or attract people to the particular area.

What I am doing, I am drawing your attention to the fact that if you were suicide bomber it would not be a big dilemma for you what to target - Hallett Cove or apartment complex in Glenelg.

What I am telling you - that as of today living in Glenelg has turned from "cool" to "silly". Not all people realised that yet, but they surely would after some time. When you driving on an expressway, and speed limit changes from 80 to 100, some people start going faster straight away, some people realise that after going slow for another 10 km.

Doom merchant! with silliness thrown in. Head for the hills guys, head for the hills!!! damn no NBN there yet, doomed again, everybody quick to tyke's boat he's got radar, sonar, gps and Epirb and a gaff for defending yourself.

Edited by snifter
removed quoted text

It's obviously been a long time since you visited Adelaide if you think you can get from one end of the southern express way to down town in half an hour!

In non-peak traffic I do it in 26 minutes. This is going 100 in a 100 zone and 60 in a 60 zone. Not like "mums" - 70 in a 100 zone and 40 in a 60 zone.

Doom merchant! with silliness thrown in. Head for the hills guys, head for the hills!!! damn no NBN there yet, doomed again, everybody quick to tyke's boat he's got radar, sonar, gps and Epirb and a gaff for defending yourself.

Hills are for those with the nostalgia for childhood and rolling green hills of England. In other words, for people who are not happy with their lives. Seek medical help.

Hills are for those with the nostalgia for childhood and rolling green hills of England. In other words, for people who are not happy with their lives. Seek medical help.

Umm I live in the hills (not Adelaide) but it's nothing like the rolling green hills of England, we didn't have rainforests in England, kangaroos, bandicoots, 15ft Pythons etc.

I think you are doing what these terrorists want and scaremongering. Over the last 20 months I have spent over half of it in hospital in Sydney having treatment, in fact I was in the Lindt cafe on day release with my mother a while back. It wouldn't stop me going in to the CBD again. You have more chance of being struck by lightening than this happening to you.

Geez what a load of scaremongering tosh, I currently live in vibrant, beautiful, awesome Glenelg, I lived in London at the time of the 7/7 bombings, wherever you live there are always the risk of accidents, terrorism, natural disasters...it's called life. If you let the fear of any of these things affect your judgement then you may as well go and live as a hermit in a cave.

And as for Adelaide not being a cultural centre, I'm slightly baffled as to how you could ever say that!? Hilarious. There is just as much accessible culture here as in many European cities, also a lot more inclusive events for people of all ages and backgrounds, I guess that's why SA is the festival state.

Given your need to insult just about everyone since you recently joined this site (although for some reason it seems longer), you really might want to try some of that medical help yourself.

Jim (never experienced rolling green hills in my childhood, but now enjoying their brown equivalent).

Edited by snifter
Removed now deleted quoted text and reply to it

Umm I live in the hills (not Adelaide) but it's nothing like the rolling green hills of England, we didn't have rainforests in England, kangaroos, bandicoots, 15ft Pythons etc.

You must missing something else in your life then Ktee? our resident psychologist will advise on what that is! any way must rush and get to my bunker now, stay safe.

1. Fear mongering or scaremongering is the use of fear to influence the opinions and actions of others towards some specific end.

Congratulations on finding Wikipedia on the net.

Now - please tell me - did you vote for the people who licked America's bum and started war in Iraq ?

I bet you did. Why has this war started? Because American, Uk's and Australian intelligence said that Saddam hides weapons of mass destruction.

Did you continue to vote for the scoundrels when it had become clear that WMD is a lie?

Explain to me why when it has become blatantly clear that WMD is bovine excrement (scaremongering) you hanged democratically elected president of independent country?

Why did you turn normal stable country into never ending bloodshed?

<Line of text removed>

The other side was that at the same time you voted for the scoundrels who flooded a country with "refugees" who are very determined to mount their revenge for their muslim "brothers" killed by anglo-saxons.

This is the reality. Yours is news.com hurray-patriotism.

Edited by snifter
removed line of text

Now - please tell me - did you vote for the people who licked America's bum and started war in Iraq ?

I bet you did. Why has this war started? Because American, Uk's and Australian intelligence said that Saddam hides weapons of mass destruction.

Did you continue to vote for the scoundrels when it had become clear that WMD is a lie?

Explain to me why when it has become blatantly clear that WMD is bovine excrement (scaremongering) you hanged democratically elected president of independent country?

The other side was that at the same time you voted for the scoundrels who flooded a country with "refugees" who are very determined to mount their revenge for their muslim "brothers" killed by anglo-saxons.

Are you sending this from inside a chocolate shop ?

Edited by snifter
removed quoted text

It's obviously been a long time since you visited Adelaide if you think you can get from one end of the southern express way to down town in half an hour!

Having travelled led up the southern expressway this morning on my way home from Port Elliott (although not via the CBD) I decided to see what my old friend Google Maps had to say about the travelling time. According to Maps, it's 35 minutes from Old Noarlunga to the CBD with no traffic or 43 minutes in current traffic. The actual expressway is really quick now it's finished. The hard bit is the bit inbetween the end of the expressway and the CBD. If it's anything like the rest of Adelaide there will be about 50 sets of lights that seem to be mostly on red when you get to them.

Yep. The express way is good. It takes me about half an hour to get from one end of Marion road to the other, let alone into the cbd. If there was no other traffic and no traffic lights you might just do it. Unfortunately Adelaide always seems to have bad traffic and/or road works.

Having had my baby at flinders not long ago I know it can take half an hour to get there from the Anzac highway on a bad traffic day.

:wacko:Oh please.......if it's not someone else espousing their religious and political beliefs on the wrong forum.

Do not assume to know me your assumptions are wrong and I do not need a lecture on your beliefs. This forum is not the appropriate place for them and you are fortunate your personal attacks have not been removed and your membership suspended if you continue to encite an argument.

Edited by snifter
removed quoted text

Guest Guest75

Oh come on on now Notpom, you are cracking me up.

As for your opinions - you are "telling us / ramming it down our throats" as though you are preaching.

I can guess you are enjoying the attention - perhaps not getting any elsewhere - if you were in a pub I reckon there would be a "dead Zone" around you!!

Edited by snifter
Removed quoted text and reply to it