Keeping a tradition going

snifter

We bought our house back in the autumn and its been brilliant. Our street isn't big, we haven't met all the people in it but pretty much most of them :)

When we moved in, half the neighbours in the street either popped over or caught us when we were out the front and introduced themselves and made us welcome. One couple told us a while back that the previous owners of our house (a good 15 years here) had always held a Christmas BBQ for the residents of our street, usually on Christmas Eve and they were not sure if anyone would hold it this year.

Fast forward to now and we decided to not let the street tradition go with the previous house owners and so sent out invites to a BBQ at our house on Christmas Eve. So far a fair few houses have replied and are joining us. A couple are away but we hope to have at least half the residents here, hopefully a couple of houses more. Some are new neighbours who moved in after us and who we still haven't really met but looking forward to seeing them all.

Its been a really positive experience so far and I am really glad I wrote those invites and dropped them round. I handed some over in person, met 2 new neighbours and had some say they thought it was a lovely gesture and said yes there and then that they'd be there.

So yes, Christmas spirit is alive and well and I'm really looking forward to Christmas in our first Aussie home. Its my second Christmas here but last year we were living with family so bit different. This year I've gone to town with the tree, decorations around the house and have lights hanging outside along the house, in the tree and along the veranda :cute: Its fab and can't wait to fire up the Weber on Christmas Eve.

Our next door but one neighbour does the same thing every year it's lovely to meet neighbours that you usually just see driving off .Our get together is on Friday .Enjoy your get together

Thank you.

Good to know others do the same :) I think its a fab way to see people you may otherwise only see driving past in the car or collecting their post in the distance.

Enjoy your get together too.

Guest Claire-n-tel
One couple told us a while back that the previous owners of our house (a good 15 years here) had always held a Christmas BBQ for the residents of our street, usually on Christmas Eve and they were not sure if anyone would hold it this year.

Hmmmmm........I'd love a bbq on crimbo Eve but I don't want to mess up my nice clean huse before my family arrive on christmas morning.......what should I do?......I know I'll go visit the new neighbours and tell them that the previous owners............!:tongue:

Guest Guest75

We had a street party two weeks ago - with our neighbors help. Great to do here as we can block off the end of the road.

We dropped printed invites saying "Meet your neighbors" - bring a plate and drinks.

We put out tables / some music on and a Big Christmas tree.

40 turned up, had a ball.

I don't remember getting bed...........argle..........

We asked everyone to BYO meat and drinks. A neighbour and I are making a few salads and stuff. Sauces, bread etc we'll lay on. Also tables and chairs coming from neighbour, we have the BBQ, it's not any real work to do :)

Neighbours who are familiar with it said this is what everyone usually did so we just went with it.

Snifter I think that you and your neighbours will have a lovely time and it sounds like a very generous thing for you to do to keep that tradition going. You are obviously a good organiser and it sounds like you have picked a good neighbourhood to live in. That's difficult to pick when you are buying a home.

Snifter I think that you and your neighbours will have a lovely time and it sounds like a very generous thing for you to do to keep that tradition going. You are obviously a good organiser and it sounds like you have picked a good neighbourhood to live in. That's difficult to pick when you are buying a home.

Thanks Toni. We seem to have gotten really lucky in our choice of street. Its proving to be a lovely area to live in :smile: