Even I Can Do This...

Lazy Cow

Is there anyone that has any old mens' fleeces that I could have, please?

Or even better...would you be able to sew along the arm hole, across the neck, across the other arm, then cut off the sleeves to make roo pouches? I can collect / you can drop off to various locations (city, southern 'burbs, Blackwood).

I know I keep asking, and I wouldn't be asking again, but someone posted this on Fauna Rescue and it's so easy I figured it was worth asking you all one more time.

:notworthy: LC

Totally curious. Can you let us know more about what these are being used for?

The recent bushfires have left joeys, (the name for a baby marsupial ie. roo, koala, possum, wombat etc), in need of care. Most of the carers doing the work do so largely (if not wholly) unassisted, and are in need of our help.

Roo joeys stay in their mother's pouch for up to 18 months; koala joeys for around 6 months. Adult females killed or injured by fires / cars / whatever leave joeys to be mothered by carers, and the cloth pouches act as a substitute for their mum's pouch.

Does that make it clearer? I'm sorry, I was so focused on asking for help, I might not have made the 'why' as clear as I should :sad:.

BTW, if anyone sees a dead koala, roo or wombat please check if they are carrying any young. Apparently the joeys can stay alive for up to three days after mum has died. Larger joeys might leave mum, but stay in the area so check mum's teats to see if she's still feeding. If you can transport the whole dead animal, that's great. If not : http://www.nativeanimalrescue.org.au/nativeanimals/joeys.aspx explains what to do - basically how to cut the teat, wrap joey and transport.

Then call the 24-hour hotline: :smile:

Koala hotline: (08) 7226 0017

Other wildlife : (08) 8289 0896

HTH, and thank you,

:wink: LC