10 Things dogs teach us about what matters most

snifter

This showed up in one of my many feeds and I was smiling before I'd even read it

http://theunboundedspirit.com/10-things-dogs-teach-us-about-what-matters-most/

Pretty much spot on and had me smiling the whole way through reading it :wubclub: Looked at our little 4 legged friend and went 'Yup'. Adore the midget dog and his joy at life. He's a rescue and is doing alright, more than alright, since we brought him home a few months ago now.

Lol. The drink lots of water one is funny.

We took our dog to the beach one evening on a 40c day. She was loving it, paddling around in the sea etc. Some lady came and nicely told us off for bringing her out of the house on such a hot evening. Then she insisted on giving her some of her water. She sniffed it and walked off lol. She never was a thirsty dog. :-)

Love the article! Thank you :wubclub:

Our dogs bring an extra feel-good element to our home, and I adore them.

Like Blossom's dog, my dogs don't seem to drink much. Worryingly they don't seem to eat or drink at all if they are home alone. Particularly worrying during the hot days, but your article has made me feel heaps better :smile:.

Blossom, I can only think the person who felt the need to comment was doing so out of concern. The beach is a fabulous place to be on the evening of a hot day, although I do check how hot the sand is. Sometimes it's stored up so much heat from the day, I have had to wear my thongs. My dogs can't then go down at all, since my thongs are simply too big for them and they can't share lol!:wink:

LC

Yeah. I'm sure she was. I found many people were OTT with commenting though. Like me and the dog sitting in the car with the windows open and people telling me it's too hot for her. She was shaved to the skin. I had more layers to keep me warm than her. We were both fine, it wasn't even that hot a day. :-/

I did giggle to myself when she wouldn't drink the woman's water though lol.

What a great article, thank you.

I am so upset after reading this. We left our dogs behind when we moved here. I had a 13 year old Boxer and a rescued Bulldog who hated the heat and wouldn't have survived the heat

It took a year until we bought another dog...another Boxer called Dutchess, endless energy and endless love for the children. We took Dutchess down to O Sullivans Beach two days ago and she hardly left the children's side. She is 7 but has a large cancerous growth in her neck which can't be removed. In the next few weeks she will have to be put to sleep.:sad:

Oh Tamara, so sorry to hear this :(

It won't be an easy few weeks but I hope you can take some comfort in that you are doing the best you can by her and will love and care for her as you always have done. We have them in our lives, we love them like family and our hearts break when we have to say goodbye.

Ohhhh that's horrible. :-(

Our poor girl who we bought out from the UK had to be put down last year. She had been living with my ex, and he would not accept the time had come. Everyone had been telling him for months. I'd just think I had convinced him and he'd just avoid me for weeks. I ended up cracking it with him as although she wasn't in pain, she wasn't in control of herself.

In the end she collapsed. Even then, with the vet saying there was nothing they could do, with her howling and howling, he tried to stop them! It was one of the most horrific things I've been through, and it should NEVER have got to that. I know he didn't want to let go because he loved her so much, but you have to do what is best.

And then he had friends on facebook saying 'go get a puppy'. Idiots. Had they watched my poor girl go through that because he couldn't bare to let go they would think again.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Guest75
I had to say goodbye to Dutchess yesterday. She wasn't able to drink and was struggling to walk. We were with her when she slipped away from the anaesthetic, and then myself, hubbie and grandson cried our eyes out.:sad:..

I am so sorry to read this.

It hurts............really hurts.

They are a member of your family.

Look up to you and give unconditional love.

You when it is time.

We had the same last year with one of our boys and know it is coming again soon.

Give them love,give them dignity. That is everything you can do.

I had to say goodbye to Dutchess yesterday. She wasn't able to drink and was struggling to walk. We were with her when she slipped away from the anaesthetic, and then myself, hubbie and grandson cried our eyes out.:sad:..

That's so sad Tamara. So sorry for your loss.

• 3 weeks later...
What a great article, thank you.

I am so upset after reading this. We left our dogs behind when we moved here. I had a 13 year old Boxer and a rescued Bulldog who hated the heat and wouldn't have survived the heat

It took a year until we bought another dog...another Boxer called Dutchess, endless energy and endless love for the children. We took Dutchess down to O Sullivans Beach two days ago and she hardly left the children's side. She is 7 but has a large cancerous growth in her neck which can't be removed. In the next few weeks she will have to be put to sleep.:sad:

Sorry but just caught up with this thread when looking where to post something.

Sorry for your loss there Tamara :( will you be getting another dog? expect the children will.

Yesterday our little Jack Russell was diagnosed with Lung Cancer, 11 years old and generally fit as a Butchers dog. What we first though to be a chest infection was not clearing up, Xrays showed multiple growths in both lungs and fluid around the heart too. The last week has seen rapid deterioration in her moving around and the obvious discomfort shows in her eyes. Though we know her time is short we do feel selfish as we are going on our UK holiday soon and to plan her last days around that doesn't seem to sit right somehow!

However she is getting better food than me at the moment as that is all she wants to eat in quantity. Linda is spoiling her rotten but is taking it hard at present as it is really her dog. Also as we will be moving house in the not too distant future, Linda wants her cremated so we can bury the ash's at the new house.

Doubt we will replace her (we still have our daughters dog with us) as our longer term plan is to spend more time in UK each year once I retire, we may however foster a dog or look after guide dog puppies, which seems like fun.:sad:

Edited by Keith & Linda
deleted text

Sorry but just caught up with this thread when looking where to post something.

Sorry for your loss there Tamara :( will you be getting another dog? expect the children will.

Yesterday our little Jack Russell was diagnosed with Lung Cancer, 11 years old and generally fit as a Butchers dog. What we first though to be a chest infection was not clearing up, Xrays showed multiple growths in both lungs and fluid around the heart too. The last week has seen rapid deterioration in her moving around and the obvious discomfort shows in her eyes. Though we know her time is short we do feel selfish as we are going on our UK holiday soon and to plan her last days around that doesn't seem to sit right somehow!

However she is getting better food than me at the moment as that is all she wants to eat in quantity. Linda is spoiling her rotten but is taking it hard at present as it is really her dog. Also as we will be moving house in the not too distant future, Linda wants her cremated so we can bury the ash's at the new house.

Doubt we will replace her (we still have our daughters dog with us) as our longer term plan is to spend more time in UK each year once I retire, we may however foster a dog or look after guide dog puppies, which seems like fun.:sad:

So sorry to hear about this. It's so painful. Dutchess will be our last dog i'm afraid as ill health won't allow us to provide adequate exercise for energetic breeds like Boxers. I had 2 Boxers when at home and 6 since getting married.

Make the best of the remaining time.

:sad:

Sadly we said goodbye to little Bella today, it came quicker than we really expected, but she stopped eating, even best steak and chicken breast. she could not get comfortable in any position laid, sat or standing, breathing gave her great discomfort, and those big sad eyes rolled back and all cloudy showing the discomfort, She even stopped liking to be cuddled which made it hard for Linda to take. Thing is she was bright as a button at the vets seeing all the new faces and other animals, but that only lasted for 10 minutes though.

RIP Bella.