Why do people hate cyclists?

Rammygirl

OK so I know some cyclists do spoil it a bit by riding too fast on shared paths and diving onto pavements to avoid lights etc BUT

there I was riding to my voluntary work in North Adelaide stopped at lights. Two guys pull up in Ute. All fine. Lights change and just before they drive off give me a right mouthful of abuse that I really can't repeat on here.

Cowardly attack really but why? I wasn't holing them up or anything I was just there, not even in Lycra.

Hubbie gets it all the time, he is a MAMIL though and it goes with the territory. He once shouted back and was chased by the car, daft really he just stopped and went the other way, guy turned round and caught him up though a bit scary he just got off his bike and went down a lane where car couldn't follow. Shook him up a bit. Now the policy is to smile sweetly and say 'good thanks how are you?'

I don't know, but there're is definitely a large number of car drviers that hate cyclists in Adelaide and seem to think any attempt to make the life of a cyclist easier is some kind of insult to car drivers. They forget that every cyclist means one less car on the road and a quicker journey to work for them. My OH cycles to work fairly often and I do worry about his safety sometimes. When he first start using the route he goes now I was mostly worried about the buses (there are a lot on one particular road) but I've noticed when I'm on the bus the drivers seem very aware of the cyclists around them and it's the car drivers you really have to watch out for.

I have to admit though some cyclists get on my nerves. Particularly the ones that go round in large groups on a weekend taking up just enough road and going just fast enough that it's almost impossible to get past them unless the road has two lanes in each direction. And as a pedestrian I can't be doing with people riding on footpaths that wiz past you without any warning. I don't mind so much if they ring their bell so I know they are there and can keep to one side until they go past.

I hadn't realised it was like that. I am always horrified by the near misses I keep seeing as drivers are so unobservant here.

It's sad, but I do believe there are a certain amount of 'bogans' around Adelaide who are just idiots and find abusing people funny. I'm guessing bikes are easy targets.

I cycle around and about and hubby is an avid cyclist and competes also.

Wherever you go you seem to get some people who get riled by cyclists, even if they are doing nothing wrong on the road at the time. I wish people in cars would remember though that its easy to be all tough and ride close to shake them up a little but should they do that and clip the cyclist or cause injury or accident, the chances are the cyclist could come off really badly or even die as a result of them seeing red for 5 seconds. Is it really worth it to lose it in that way? To cost someone their life and ruin countless others?

Are people really in such a hurry or so angry they will buzz a cyclist just to scare them and go off laughing about what they have done. So mean or thoughtless to possibly cause injury to another person. Its easy in a car to forget that that big metal object can kill or seriously injure anyone outside of it. Is it worth the risk. I think not and so drive with care but plenty don't.

I have a friend who had a heart transplant couple of years or so ago. He had the heart of a cyclist given to him. The donor died after being hit by a car while out on a bike ride. Left his wife and two young children. But his death helped save someone else (and a few other people also got new life saving organs) who now rides charity rides all over th UK to raise money and awarenes for the transplant team and also rides in memory of the man who lost his life but who helped save his.

I also have seen first hand a bike v car accident that ended in the cyclists death. And know of people who have lost loved ones after they were hit by trucks or cars when out on their bikes. Most, in fact I think all of these were down to driver inattention, error or simply not seeing the cyclist even with lights on the bike and them being seen by others.

I drove past an accident on Flagstaff Road the other week, going up the hill round the bend, somehow, somehow a truck had hit a cyclist going up there. There is a big bike lane all the way up there, the car lanes are wide and can easily fit a truck. How did it happen, I don't know. The truck driver looked beside himself standing there while the paramedics were helping the cyclist (who I think is ok, I asked hubby to check his cycling forums and apparently not a fatal accident so phew). I see people texting all the time and veering into the bikes lanes before correcting themselves. Those people deserve the book thrown at them, more so if they hit a cyclist because they were looking down at their phone at the time. Can people not wait till their journey is finished to make that call or send that text. I guess that a dead body under their car might be a wake up call but then its too late.

Most cyclists are also motorists but not vice versa unfortunately.

Just seen footage of a cyclist in Melbourne knocked into the path of a truck by someone opening a car door onto them. This happened to my son in UK but fortunately there was nothing coming as he was sprawled in the road. The woman in the car faces charges but really the bike lanes should be INSIDE the parked cars, I'm sure she will never forget the incident. A moments inatention that cost a man his life.................

They ride up Willunga Hill like they are on the tour down under, 5/6 abreast in the middle of the road, like they own the place, I have mates who ride and are very decent about it but the majority think they own the road....

own the road?

They dnt pay anything towards the road yet were supposed to give them right of way every time, dnt even get me started on the red light avoidance scheme.

HG

They ride up Willunga Hill like they are on the tour down under, 5/6 abreast in the middle of the road, like they own the place, I have mates who ride and are very decent about it but the majority think they own the road....

own the road?

They dnt pay anything towards the road yet were supposed to give them right of way every time, dnt even get me started on the red light avoidance scheme.

HG

We use to get that in Melbourne especially on Beach Road, thankfully the cyclists up here are very considerate. We have some excellent cycle lanes though.

own the road?

HG

There are laws for all road users. You drive, you should respect the give way rules, the over taking rules, all of them. Just because some cyclists may not always abide by them is not reason to try to scare, intimidate or harm any of them. If a car cuts in front of you you don't try to run it off the road do you? Or buzz it within an inch of its paintwork while swearing loudly out the open window toward the driver? Do you not give way in your car to pedestrians crossing? Or cars merging? Lots of rules on the road, you can't say only some are fair or ignore those you don't like or blame just cyclists.

The argument about paying for the roads, sorry, I don't buy that. Many cyclists own a car. Many cyclists pay taxes. I think that road repairs and costs are from a more general budget not funded solely by rego fees. Cyclists have a right to be on the road because the law says they do. Showing some mutual respect and understanding goes a long way. And remembering that a few seconds stuck behind a cyclist isn't going to end your life or really cause you a major issue is it? We are all in such a hurry to be somewhere or do something but it's not worth ending someone's life over just because you think they are lesser than you, don't have the right to be there or are causing you to be held up for a few seconds.

Sure some cyclists are a bit crap on the roads. So are a lot of drivers. But none of it is worth someone dead under the wheels of a car. None of it.

Have many people down there been done with this 1 meter rule?

I dont think it's come in yet.

The thing I think is that we don't overtake another car or truck and only give it 10,15 cms of space so why do that to a cyclist on a bike who is far more vulnerable? I'm fine with the one metre rule for passing a cyclist.

I dont think it's come in yet.

The thing I think is that we don't overtake another car or truck and only give it 10,15 cms of space so why do that to a cyclist on a bike who is far more vulnerable? I'm fine with the one metre rule for passing a cyclist.

ive seen plent of cars only give other cars that amount of space! I had one once, on a 90km hour piece of road, so close behind me that I could see their car in my tow bar mirror!

Maybe I'm blinded to any bad cyclists as there are so many shocking car drivers.

And I speak as someone who won't even ride a bike at a gym. ;-)

Well in my mind I am doing drivers a favour by leaving my car at home. That is one more parking space for someone who needs it in North Adelaide. And yes there are plenty of bad cyclists out there. But many more bad drivers.

I have come close to being knocked off my bike by innattentive or poor drivers, but that is different to deliberately nasty or malicious acts. Bad drivers usually realise and look shocked or apologise.

You just feel so vulnerable on a bike, well you ARE vulnerable.

own the road?

HG

This is exactly the kind of attitude towards cyclists that is way too prevalent in Adelaide and I hate it. Cyclists pay taxes too and they cause far less wear and tear on the roads. Many motorists don't seem to realise that the rego costs don't pay for the roads - they barely pay for the costs of running the rego system. Road maintenance is paid for by the council from your rates, which cyclists pay as well as motorists, pedestrians and public transport users, and new roads are generally paid for by state and federal funds from general taxes which we all pay so we all have equal rights to be on the road.

Quite frankly if ALL road users were more considerate of ALL other road users we would all have much more pleasant journeys.

ive seen plent of cars only give other cars that amount of space! I had one once, on a 90km hour piece of road, so close behind me that I could see their car in my tow bar mirror!

Maybe I'm blinded to any bad cyclists as there are so many shocking car drivers.

And I speak as someone who won't even ride a bike at a gym. ;-)

That is scary. I think people think they are safe in a car and don't give a thought to whatever is out side of it might not be quite as well protected or some such. To do that to another car is insane, imagine clipping one and sending it into a pavement where people are wating at a bus stop or something.

So what excuse you gonna have for them avoiding red lights then or is it acceptable practice ??

Pretty sure they would be peed off if i mounted the curb at a red light went over the pedestrian crossing then joined the road on the other side.

5 a breast going up/down Willunga Hill acceptable too?

We nearly hit one the other day coming up Willunga Hill, he was in the middle of the road, we came round a blind bend on our side of the road and nearly added him to the radiator of the car.

I agree all road users need to respect each other but there is not much respect form cyclists to any other vehicle on the road.

I drive trucks, do yoy know how hard it is to stop one of those things?

HG

Not all cyclists avoid red lights, in fact I don't think I've ever seen a cyclist do this. Unless you are refering to them cycling over the pedestrian crossings? Personally I don't see the problem with this as long as they go with the green man the same as the pedestrians. I certainly don't think there are any laws against it. And I'm not sure cycling 5 abreast is illegal either, but I wouldn't know for sure.

If you're arguement against cyclists is based purely on the fact that a few don't always follow the rules then we should also ban cars on the road because some drivers don't always follow the rules as well.

So what excuse you gonna have for them avoiding red lights then or is it acceptable practice ??

Pretty sure they would be peed off if i mounted the curb at a red light went over the pedestrian crossing then joined the road on the other side.

We nearly hit one the other day coming up Willunga Hill, he was in the middle of the road, we came round a blind bend on our side of the road and nearly added him to the radiator of the car.

I agree all road users need to respect each other but there is not much respect form cyclists to any other vehicle on the road.

HG

I am not saying cyclists are perfect, but neither are car or truck drivers. What I am saying is to try to be more tolerant of all road users, but perhaps more so of cyclists in terms of not trying to harm or scare them or run them off the road.

I see plenty of cars and trucks jump red lights also. OK they don't go over the pavement but they do carry on when its a clear red or a green man is flashing for people to cross. I had a large truck clearly carry on through a red light and I and two other people were about to step out to cross Brighton road with the green man telling me to walk. The truck sped through at full pelt. Had any of us stepped out we'd have been flattened.

5 a breast isn't acceptable no, I am not sure its legal to ride that many across a road I'd have to check. But again, a minute or two behind them isn't the end of the world, overtaking and hitting one could be. It could be a tractor or a car towing a trailer going slow and hogging the road. Or a bus. Patience for all is what I am trying to say. Is 5 minutes really going to ruin your day?

If a cyclist is on their side of the road descending at speed (and often close or on the 60/80km limit) they have every right to ride the middle or further over on the road. So long as they don't cross the line they are legal as far as I understand it.

What I am trying to say is that for every argument you have against cyclists, I have one against cars or trucks. There are good and not so good of all road users be they bikes, skateboards, cars, trucks, motorbikes and more. You cannot tar all cyclists with the same brush just as you can't for car drivers or truck drivers.

I see far more cyclists being abused or having people skim past them or cut them off than I see cyclists doing to cars. I drive every day and that is a noticeable thing to me. Car drivers are far less aware of cyclists than cyclists are of them.

HG

i was not excusing poor behaviour on behalf of cyclists any more than drivers. If you read my original post I acknowledge some cyclists are a pain. I was simply abused for just being there. I wasn't even moving.

the consequences though are quite different for a cyclist. And yes I do have sympathy for truck drivers but I bet there are more drivers that pull out too close and cause you to break hard than cyclists who cause you problems.

oh and a motorist mounted the curb to go round a car turning right near me last week. Couldn't wait the few seconds in the diverted CLIPSAL traffic. Not just cyclists who do this.

Edited by Rammygirl

HG

Truck drivers are the worse, pmsl. One of my former members on PIO has been a truck driver all his life and he admits it as well. I also see things from his point of view, ie you have longer stopping distances, or someone goes too slow in front and you lose your revs. However, I often tell him I don't appreciate his truck driver buddies up my arse especially when I was teaching my son to drive.

I think it's like everything you can't blame all cyclists and I can't blame all truckies.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been abused many times by motorists, and no lycra either. I've had a gun pointed at me, cans thrown and verbal abuse. I had a shopping basket on the front and a lockable box on the back, so I couldn't remotely be perceived as a racer.

I've even had the same bus driver trying to run me off the road three times near the Central District Hospital! I reported it to the Transport Police and the bus company.

And travelling on an almost empty bus, I heard the driver say to another passenger that he would like to kill all cyclists!!

However one thing I've noticed in metro Adelaide, is that vehicle drivers generally give a wider berth for cyclists if there is no cycle lane. A painted line indicates they can drive right up to it which isn't necessarily safe.

So why are cyclists hated? Male drivers showing they are macho perhaps.

I don't care what your mode of transport is provided you show consideration to other road users - including pedestrians - and abide by the road rules.

Cyclists are allowed to ride two abreast, unless there's a cycle lane. Then they are expected to use the cycle lane, and if there isn't room for two cyclists riding abreast, then they are expected to ride single file. (https://www.sa.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0020/23438/DPTI-Cycling-the-Law-Booklet.pdf)

My husband drives has had a few cyclists lean against the side of his wagon at lights. Don't, just don't, ok. It's annoying, particularly because when he pulls away he has to consider whether the person lolling against his door is good to go too, and that shouldn't be his responsibility.

I acknowledge (a cheery 'thank you' wave lol) the few cyclists that show consideration. I show consideration to all of them , purely because I would never take risks with anyone's life.

Do I hate them? I don't know them, but I suspect I might strongly dislike the seemingly arrogant ones.

LC