Know any good Australianisms?

etch123

Hi guys, flying over next month so trying to get a hang of the lingo! Saw that the Oxford dictionary has added 500 new uniquely Australian phrases

http://www.smh.com.au/national/no-more-putting-on-jam-as-orstralia-gets-respect-in-oxford-dictionaries-update-20150306-13vvnx.html

So as per this, I'm "off the grog" and a drinker of Lolly water!

Care to add any "Australianisms" you have come across?

:smile:

Guest Guest75
Hi guys, flying over next month so trying to get a hang of the lingo! Saw that the Oxford dictionary has added 500 new uniquely Australian phrases

http://www.smh.com.au/national/no-more-putting-on-jam-as-orstralia-gets-respect-in-oxford-dictionaries-update-20150306-13vvnx.html

So as per this, I'm "off the grog" and a drinker of Lolly water!

Care to add any "Australianisms" you have come across?

:smile:

:biglaugh:

There are loads.

Sometimes I come out with a few now.

I cannot for the life of me say G'Day, it sounds weird in my accent.

I hear some being used in day to day life but most Aussies I know don't use many, if any of the ones that news article quotes.

I think some of them are a generation thing more. The term 'sick' is used by teens and twenty somethings in a very different way to how I'd use it :cute: I hear quite a lot of younger Aussies using terms like that, perhaps Americanisms creeping in more?

I tend to not really use many myself on a day to day basis. I've used a few expressions for many years now though, in the UK and when I was living overseas elsewhere. They are more an Aussie thing and commonplace here.

Yeah, I've not heard most of that list. Lolly water I've heard lots.

It still makes me smile after seven years here to hear people say strewth (sp) as for so many years I assumed it was a polite way of them showing that someone wanted to swear on Neighbours lol.

And 'far out'. I always picture hippies lol.

You'll have to practice making words like grown, flown, shown etc into two syllables: grow-un, flow-un, show-un...

And just greet everyone with "how ya goin'?" to which the reply is "good, n you?" (not "fine")

Hear 'G'day' a fair bit in the park, and also 'No worries' but nothing else that's stereotypically aussie. Adelaide has a reputation of sounding more like English than the other states too - 'dance' with a long a for instance (so Charles Dance has the same vowel sound in both parts of his name)

You'll have to practice making words like grown, flown, shown etc into two syllables: grow-un, flow-un, show-un...

Omg, my partner does that and it drives me mad! Although I don't think I've ever noticed anyone else do it.

One woman I work with always says 'dunny' instead of toilet lol.

Omg, my partner does that and it drives me mad! Although I don't think I've ever noticed anyone else do it.

One woman I work with always says 'dunny' instead of toilet lol.

The one that got me every time was the (mis)pronunciation of 'enthusiast' - I maintain that the last syllable should be 'AST' as in 'massed' (the massed choirs of St Pauls Cathedral for example) - enthuse-ee-ast - but here in Australia it's apparently 'erst' with a very short vowel sound so it almost sounds like the word should be spelt 'enthuse-yust' - every time I heard the damn Shannons ad I was forced (yes really, forced) to shout at the radio!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

It confused me when we first arrived that every one says "hello, how are you" I've started to say it too now.

Sometimes I say "hi, ya" but because of my accent they think I'm saying "how are you" and reply "good thanks"

Everything gets shortend here. Heard radio presenters telling a story about Debenhams and they wondered if we called it "Debs" in England.