For evil to thrive...

Diane

Just heard this interview on the radio

http://www.abc.net.au/newsradio/content/s4218012.htm

If you ever wondered how normal Germans could allow the atrocities that were carried out in their name in concentration camps in WW2, then now you have the answer.

These are proposed changes that the Federal Government are trying to bring in, the Government that supposedly acts with our authority.

I feel quite sick.

I'm not sure I can make the link between what is described in the report - and is still a proposal - and Nazi Germany.

i do think the proposal is outrageous, and very worrying though.

As for any indication that 'our'government "supposedly acts with our authority", well :biglaugh: . Sadly.

:sad: LC

Interesting quote from a book by Milton Mayer called "They Thought They Were Free" (thanks to Kaye Lee for this)

“What happened here was the gradual habituation of the people, little by little, to being governed by surprise; to receiving decisions deliberated in secret; to believing that the situation was so complicated that the government had to act on information which the people could not understand, or so dangerous that, even if the people could understand it, it could not be released because of national security. And their sense of identification with Hitler, their trust in him, made it easier to widen this gap and reassured those who would otherwise have worried about it.

Each step was so small, so inconsequential, so well explained or, on occasion, ‘regretted,’ that, unless one were detached from the whole process from the beginning, unless one understood what the whole thing was in principle, what all these ‘little measures’ that no ‘patriotic German’ could resent must some day lead to, one no more saw it developing from day to day than a farmer in his field sees the corn growing. One day it is over his head.”