Voting in the UK elections

flossybeth

Turns out that if you've been out of the UK for less than 15 years you are still eligible to vote in the upcoming General Election - if you're at all interested.

https://www.gov.uk/register-to-vote?utm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_term=English&utm_content=0&utm_campaign=Australia_Link_Ad

Not sure if this is a good thing or not - it seems odd that you can still have a say in the running of a country that you've chosen to leave but it also feels quite comforting that I can still have a say somewhere.

Yes, I have registered and had the letter to my Australian address to confirm it is where the postal vote will arrive. I was pretty pleased to find out I could still vote in the UK as I can't vote here until I'm a citizen which is a few years off. Not being able to have a say anywhere would have annoyed me.

Wow! Looks like we could vote too :shocked:!

It seems a bit strange though as we've only been back twice, and have no idea (and no interest in) what's going on over there, so I guess we'd have to be responsible enough to research the candidates and issues, or vote for whichever party we last voted for.

Either way, it holds no interest for me. The thread does though, thanks @ flossybeth!

:notworthy: LC