Scrumping

flossybeth

What's the deal with scrumping here? I'm not talking about dashing into people's gardens or climbing over fences more about orange/lemon trees overhanging ginnels and pavements or back alleys - are we allowed to grab a bagful since the fruit is on the public side of the fence or does it still belong the homeowner? Or is it all about how quick you can be?

• 2 weeks later...

You have made me smile with this thread. Many years ago when I lodged in Toorak Gardens, a young man there with a lightweight motorbike decided to go scrumping in the Adelaide Hills, and asked if I would like to go on the pillion. It seemed a good idea at the time, but in the darkness of the countryside we couldn't find any apple orchards, so decided to go into a field lower than the road and pick some pears.

In a short while a big bright light shone on us, and a voice called out, "stay where you are or I'll shoot!!" My friend wanted to run through the trees and escape, but he was ungainly and didn't have the speed, so I warned him not to. We tipped out the pears and climbed back to the road where a farmer and another man told us they thought we were Italians who had been chugging around on Vespas raping the local apple orchards for selling in Adelaide markets. We were not of course, and we left safely after buying a bag of apples from the farmer!

I'd say go for it but be quick :cute:

I'd say it was ok given people were helping themselves to our pomegranates this year if they happened to wander past the tree. The birds gate heaps while on the tree but I know some were being taken off as I had my eye on them waiting for them to finish reddening up to pick and lo, someone got there before me!

Having said that, kumquats are in needing of picking to turn into marmalade. Second harvest this year :jiggy:

Our neighbour is welcome to the lemons growing from our tree over their side of the fence. I even didn't prune it right back so as to ensure they could keep on having them.

• 4 weeks later...

I'd say yes,because I have been scrumping before myself living in the hills ;) Not a bagful mind you,just the odd one or two!At our local supermarket,someone had a lovely peach tree,which overgrew the carpark!A few times temptation got the better of me,and yes I did pick the odd peach,massive they were too!Hmm hmmm!lol