How's everyone going in the hot spring weather?

snifter

Hoping all those Willunga way down south are going ok. I know the smoke can travel (I remember last years fires and waking at 4am and being over 50km away and the smoke cloud was big and the smell very strong in the air). I'm following the updates as they come in.

We've done all the usual in preparation. We fall in the Mount Lofty district and are bordering on rural so I try to keep a close eye on things.

It looks like its cooling off over the weekend, somewhere in the 20's. Also hopefully the fires that are burning can hopefully be brought under control.

For anyone not familiar with the CFS (Country Fire Service) its worth checking out their website for info on fire risk ratings, fire ban days and districts etc and also you can download their app or get alerts via FB and Twitter. I've found it really useful not just for fire warnings etc but also for other emergecny events or where the fire service has been called out.

http://www.cfs.sa.gov.au/site/home.jsp

Edited by snifter
edited

It's so early this year.

Have been here for 8 years or so and can't remember it been so warm in spring. I can hear aircons humming...a sound normally heard from December into March.

When we arrived in 2007 gardens were scorched and brown. We were told that there had been a drought for 12 years or so...the whole place was brown. I went down to Cape Jervis last week and was shocked by just how brown everything is so early.

Looks like it going to be one hell of a bush fire season...

Hoping all those Willunga way down south are going ok. I know the smoke can travel (I remember last years fires and waking at 4am and being over 50km away and the smoke cloud was big and the smell very strong in the air). I'm following the updates as they come in.

We've done all the usual in preparation. We fall in the Mount Lofty district and are bordering on rural so I try to keep a close eye on things.

It looks like its cooling off over the weekend, somewhere in the 20's. Also hopefully the fires that are burning can hopefully be brought under control.

For anyone not familiar with the CFS (Country Fire Service) its worth checking out their website for info on fire risk ratings, fire ban days and districts etc and also you can download their app or get alerts via FB and Twitter. I've found it really useful not just for fire warnings etc but also for other emergecny events or where the fire service has been called out.

http://www.cfs.sa.gov.au/site/home.jsp

Saw our first brown snake yesterday - went slithering across the road in front of us, rather alarmingly just a few doors down from our house. That and the plumes of smoke from Kyeema forest put things into perspective - it can be a very dangerous country. On the plus side, the warm evenings down at the beach have been very lovely.

It's so early this year.

Have been here for 8 years or so and can't remember it been so warm in spring. I can hear aircons humming...a sound normally heard from December into March.

When we arrived in 2007 gardens were scorched and brown. We were told that there had been a drought for 12 years or so...the whole place was brown. I went down to Cape Jervis last week and was shocked by just how brown everything is so early.

Looks like it going to be one hell of a bush fire season...

I got here in 2008 and now use timehop on my phone (an app which looks at your Facebook status updates and photos and shows you all for that day over the years). Yesterday I had one from a few years ago saying it was 43c or there abouts. And there have been LOTS saying it's hot over the last few weeks.

It's amazing how quickly we forget lol.

I got sunburnt at the beach yesterday. And today working outside was not too bad as there was some wind, but still rather hot.