Aldi Advice?

Tamara (Homes Down Under)

I was away when the local Hallet Cove and Seaford Aldi's opened but called yesterday with my daughter and bought a few things.

There's an Aldi opening in March...right next door to Woolworth's in the Noarlunga centre...

Anyway, was wondering whether anyone has any recommendations?

These biccies taste great, this washing powder does a great job, beans, rice pudding...better or worse than the brands that we are used to?

At the moment i'm in the testing phase! Anyone have any favourites or products to avoid???

I was an Aldi fan in the UK and have recently been to the one at Seaford.

I don't like the bread but the cereals are great and so much cheaper!

The deli stuff is usually great, fruit and veg can vary in freshness but always cheaper.

The " muddle in the middle " deffo worth a mooch as well, stuff is generally good quality and value for money.

Cant get everything though as it does lack variety and has limited lines. Go there first then top up elsewhere is my advice. It is why they open alongside existing supermarkets as that is the pattern most shoppers use.

Just try stuff, if you don't like it you haven't lost much .....if you do you can Definately save money.

They can offer cheaper products by keeping their overheads down not by compromising on quality..........

I was away when the local Hallet Cove and Seaford Aldi's opened but called yesterday with my daughter and bought a few things.

There's an Aldi opening in March...right next door to Woolworth's in the Noarlunga centre...

Anyway, was wondering whether anyone has any recommendations?

These biccies taste great, this washing powder does a great job, beans, rice pudding...better or worse than the brands that we are used to?

At the moment i'm in the testing phase! Anyone have any favourites or products to avoid???

I use their Norpack butter ,their rice pudding and their gravy all copies but you would never know ! We ar in the Uk at the minute and I rarely shop anywhere else We move back to Adelaide in April and looking forward to Aldi ( sad really ain't it lol )

• 4 weeks later...
I use their Norpack butter ,their rice pudding and their gravy all copies but you would never know ! We ar in the Uk at the minute and I rarely shop anywhere

+ How was Aldi ? Can't wait to get back and see if they have the same specials as they do in the UK give Coles and Woolies a run for their money lol

Well, since you asked,Philly - first impressions of Aldi :

When i asked the security chap where the trolleys were, he not only heard my question, (- and knew the answer), but he even had the presence of mind to ask if "I might need any change to unlock a trolley"

( -Well....... that was me in a state of shock before i'd even got in the door)

But nothing could have prepared me:

- no Musak .....bliss (- in fact, not a lot over the Tannoy at all, come to think of it)

- no Celebrity Chefs getting all matey over the meat packs ......... double plus good

- no swarms of underpaid minions stacking shelves: they present almost everything in their "outers" ( Supermarket Speak for cartons,

apparently)

- line- of- sight throughout the store: Mothers could actually see where their sprogs were - even when they went "off -lead"

- similarly hubby allowed to spoon tranquilly over the hardware while still under Mum's watchful gaze ..."sheep may safely graze"

- simple price tags that are legible and informative and reliable ..."information is the currency of democracy"

- no farnacling around trying to chose between thirty types of toothpaste (- I mean, really .....most people haven't got that many teeth

left, surely?)

- the checkout staff were even provided with chairs to sit on ...... now there's a radical step in treating staff like human beings

I was gong to say something tetchy about the bread being baked in NSW. But now realise the same is also true of the last loaf I bought at my local Woolies.

-Whatever, it's got to better than the "bake-them-yourself" frozen bread rolls that Coles used to import from ........wait for it :

-the Republic of Ireland !!!?!!

JB :swoon:

(I mean, really - I'm all for supporting developing nations ...... but fresh bread from Eire!?)

Edited by Blossom
Fixed quote

Actual shopping experience probably better than the uk then much as I like Aldis products here I find

staff with pallets blocking aisles in a hurry to get stock out ,the shop I is is always flat out busy

checkout staff million miles and hour job into trolley ,they don't pack at all the customer does

But their proud puce is fresh and cheap as chips so it's the proverbial swings and roundabouts some you win some you loose

We used to get all our food in Aldi in the UK without having to go elsewhere. I have shopped at the St Agnes store and the Parafield one in the last fortnight and found the selections limited compared to Aldi in the UK. I would say the stores here are like Aldi used to be 10 years ago in the UK. I hope they increase the lines as the quality of the products is great but not enough choice so will have to top up at Coles in the meantime.

- line- of- sight throughout the store: Mothers could actually see where their sprogs were - even when they went "off -lead"

- similarly hubby allowed to spoon tranquilly over the hardware while still under Mum's watchful gaze ..."sheep may safely graze"

Just me that lost my partner in the not very big Hallett cove store? I had to do a full lap to find him.

Their chocolate brownie mix is great. As was their frozen pizza. Much prefer their nappies Coles.

Actual shopping experience probably better than the uk then much as I like Aldis products here I find

staff with pallets blocking aisles in a hurry to get stock out ,the shop I is is always flat out busy

checkout staff million miles and hour job into trolley ,they don't pack at all the customer does

But their proud puce is fresh and cheap as chips so it's the proverbial swings and roundabouts some you win some you loose

You're quite right Philly, Puce is much under rated ( ....I always wear mine with pride, -and not a little abandon)

Moving on from the ambiance of the new TTP Aldi store:

Still trying out the comestibles themselves :

- the Turkish Bread was a little on the world weary side , (-but who isn't after a trip across the Hay Plains )

- can't imagine there's much you can do to muck up a can of chickpeas, so will simply pop them into the Cheap- as -Cheaps basket

- the tinned tuna declares itself "Dolphin Safe" and "from a wild fishery", - so two gold stars and a Koala stamp there

- the Free Range Eggs were fresher than the Woolies equivalent and considerably cheaper. They have also gone to the trouble of telling us which version of "Free Range" they mean - namely 1m2 per chook,

Am interested to hear the Aldi stores in UK have a bigger range of produce. Presumably, if Aldi they have set up a distribution centre here (-?in Regency Park?) then we'll be playing catch up as soon as the initial SA stores are firing on all cylinders

....so the question is

do the Aldi Stores Interstate carry a bigger range?

JB :swoon:

PS Personally I like the way you do your own packing..... it means I get to check the eggs don't get put underneath the Washing Detergent ( -and that there is a respectable distance between the Sausages and the Muffins)

Additionally, it will open up the way to Auto (- "RFID" - ) scanning of whole trolley- loads of shopping, ( as well as the do-it- yourself scanning that Coles has started to introduce)

-Which might well mean we can one day look forward to Free Range Supermarket Staff scratching and sniffing down the aisles

Edited by John Browning

Shopped in the Warrnambool store a few times and I now live near the Seaford Heights store...the Vic store is much more akin to a UK store (having a liquor section helps!). Def a bigger range from memory with a few more known brands next to the Aldi stuff. Maybe future SA Aldi's will be larger and therefore carry a wider range.

"Just opened the pack of salmon I purchased from Aldi (still within date)...stinking and rotten....grrrr"

that's really dangerous Kelbert...you really need to report it. People have been known to get killed from tinned fish going off,

-The whole batch need to be withdrawn and checked (-seriously.....)

JB

• 1 month later...

Have tried a few things:

OH likes the corned beef and the rice pudding.(strange how you grow up eating certain foods and still like them as an older adult!)

I like the digestive biscuits.

My son lies the Eltora corn chips (cheese). Better than Dorritos.

The glass cleaner is great (and only $1.59!)

The water is rubbish...tastes like local tap water. I have to buy bottled water for a member of the family that has IBS...the Aldi water makes them poorly as does many of the cheaper brands in the other supermarkets.

Haven't decided on their knock off washing powder....mimics OMO Ultimate but don't think that it works as well. OK for general washing but stubborn stuff ...still use the OMO.

Anyone else have any feedback?

The premium dishwasher tabs are good, they actually do get the tea stains off the mugs which my expensive brand didn't. I do like a strong cuppa!

The frozen Barramundi fillets are also good and the raw frozen prawns. I like to keep a few in the freezer as son works shifts and likes the options for a quick meal.

All the fresh meat I have bought so far has been good quality too.

The tuna is a bargain!

Not too keen on the tomato sauce.

They recently had a South African food promo and the fruit juices, biltong, dried sausage etc were soon snapped up...a frenzy of buying at some of the Aldi's!

Trying a few of the frozen meals....son also works shifts (am also looking for an easy option at times!).

Love Aldi! I plan to do a big pantry and freezer stock up once a month ish, as the nearest store is 20 mins or so from me, then make it my regular shop when the Marion store opens.

- The nappies are good - the best of the cheapies IMO. We don't use them for overnight or situations eg a car journey (where an explosion would be particularly unpleasant!) but for at home / when a nappy needs changing an hour or so before bath/bed time.

- Frozen stuff is good - eg salmon fillets, prawns - a lot cheaper than Woollies / Coles

- Dip, cheese, salami - deli type stuff - is really good value compared to Woollies / Coles

- Laundry stain remover spray is nothing amazing - will stick to a 'proper' brand next time

- Most pantry items (tinned tomatoes, tuna, jars of olives etc) are a bargain and I've not been unhappy with anything like that so far

- The organic baby food sachets (fruit purees etc) are amazing value compared to the branded and home brand items at Woollies / Coles

- Our cats ate the cat food - they're not super fussy cats, but won't eat Coles homebrand

• 2 weeks later...
Aldi Belmont Jaffa Cakes! Tried them yesterday and had to finish the box..helped by family of course. Of all the knock off Jaffa cakes I have tried over the years...these are the best :smile:

My 14 year old came home earlier this week and told me we had to go to Aldi to buy their Jaffa cakes so there must be something in them.

I've only been in once a couple of months ago now, hadn't given the trolley needing a coin any thought at all but luckily I had one and then when I left the lady in the car next to me asked if she could have my trolley and I just handed it over without thinking about the $2.

My 14 year old came home earlier this week and told me we had to go to Aldi to buy their Jaffa cakes so there must be something in them.

I've only been in once a couple of months ago now, hadn't given the trolley needing a coin any thought at all but luckily I had one and then when I left the lady in the car next to me asked if she could have my trolley and I just handed it over without thinking about the $2.

Can I use your trolley next time? That's half the cost of a packet of jaffa cakes! :smile: