Positive Adelaide Thread

Glencoe

I have had a look around, (forgive me if I've missed if a thread like this exists already).

Just wondered if we could have a thread about all the good things about Adelaide / SA. Perhaps a good experience you've had or something you've really enjoyed. Doesn't matter if it was yesterday or 20 years ago.

Yes, there are people who have unfortunately not had a great time here, not looking to take anything away from them. The threads are full of people giving their experiences good and negative where everyone can obtain a realistic view of life in Adelaide and further SA.

However, just purely for fun and kicks, wondered if we could have a positive sunshiney thread where the only rule is positive experiences only please!

I love the people I've met here. I love the way it's such a small community - totally three degrees of separation and all that! Mind you, that did not work well the time my son decided to wag :biglaugh:!

I love the wildlife, although that makes bushfire season a nightmare. I love the sounds, the beaches, the sights, and the moonlight cinema, the Fringe, the footy...there's so much I love, and more than a few things that concern me - but that's for another thread!

I'm off to the Show now - and I love that too!

:cool: LC

A few things quickly before I run out the door to work....

I love the wildlife. It never ceases to amaze me. So different, sometimes rather intimidating or nerve wracking to stumble upon but its still amazing. And beautiful.

Glenelg for a date with my then boyfriend (now husband) many years ago. We'd spent the day down at the Murray mouth and seen the pelicans come in to feed at dusk and headed back to Glenelg for the evening for dinner. Which ended up being a hot dog and ice cream that we ate down on the beach in the evening sun. Was lovely.

The tram. Wish there were more lines elsewhere in the city.

The night sky. When you see it in darkness properly it is stunning. So many more stars than you are used to seeing with the light pollution.

More later. Work calls :)

We'd spent the day down at the Murray mouth and seen the pelicans come in to feed at dusk and headed back to Glenelg for the evening for dinner. Which ended up being a hot dog and ice cream that we ate down on the beach in the evening sun. Was lovely.

This sounds amazing, love to see a pelican again (haven't seen them since I was about 6!)

I like this pure nature a short drive away from Adelaide no matter if it goes to the stunning beaches or the outback. Every European is so keen on Sydney and miss out on that typical outback experience which is so easy to get in South Australia.

I love that housing (=renting or purchasing a house) is still affordable in comparison to Sydney, Melbourne or Perth (those cities I love, too).

No real jam during peak traffic like I was used to before coming here. Easy city to commute.

Last but not least, a lovely bunch of people living here in Adelaide.

OK some more from me

*Tour Down Under. Love this and enjoy going out to numerous stages each year.

*Good sushi take out and dining pretty much all over.

*The parklands surrounding the CBD. Can always enjoy an afternoon wandering them when in the city for the day.

*Haighs chocolates. Especially their Christmas pudding ones!

*The beaches. We don't spend much time on them other than for walking in winter or a summers evening to cool off but when we do visit, its stunning

*Hanndorf. A lovely gem in the hills. Some gorgeous little shops, eateries and more.

*National Parks on your doorstep. And futher afield.

*Public use BBQ's and things like tennis courts in lots of play parks/reserves

*Adelaide Oval for sporting events. Wonderful stadium since the rebuild and enjoyed some great games of footy and cricket there.

* That we as a family have more time to spend together. Its been a big difference and a really good thing for us as a family. Our son does lots of sports and many of the things he does are the sort of thing parents chip in and help with which is great.

*Made some wonderful new friends

What a great idea for a thread. I think that even the "Doom and Gloomers" have some positive things to say about Adelaide :smile:

The people are friendly! Not as stressed and rushed as the other capitals.

My boys tell me that young ladies in Adelaide are stunning! :smile:

Areas in Adelaide are pristine...a walk along the Torrens on a glorious summers day makes you appreciate just how gorgeous the city is.

We have the world best stadium. A day night or a 20/ 20 game at Adelaide oval is a total joy!

Entertainment centre, clubs, music venues and concerts in the wine region...all on our doorstep.

So many things that make you thankful for being able to live here, to have your children and grandchildren here in a safe, stunningly scenic, friendly city.

I love that housing (=renting or purchasing a house) is still affordable in comparison to Sydney, Melbourne or Perth (those cities I love, too).

Last but not least, a lovely bunch of people living here in Adelaide.

two things we're researched and heard of respectively, things that form part of our choice to come :-)

I think Snifter has said everything I would say really. Can't gush enough about the amazing skies here. The sunrises and sunsets are just beautiful and the wonderful wildlife all around. We have pelicans daily on the wetlands near my house. They are amazing.I love the open space and the quiet roads (out of the cbd of course), I love the wineries, the farmers markets, beaches and parklands - the way everything is set up towards leisure/family time and much of that is free. Very cheap fuel and transport makes it easy to get out and about exploring and means you don't have to spend a fortune just for a day out. Mostly free parking too. Excellent cycling trails/walks, love The Fringe and all the shows and festivals, cannot understand why someone would say Adelaide is boring. There is always something going on. We totally love it here, it suits us perfectly, we have all settled well and I'm really glad we chose SA as our place to live.

Edited by kelbert

Ooo yes, the big skies. Its so hard to explain because the sky is big obviously, but the sky here is, its just vast. Its stunning. Until you see it for yourself, its near on impossible to explain.

I thought of a few more

* Gum trees after rain. The eucalypt smell is amazing.

* Farmers markets. So many, so much choice. Some really talented people producing home grown/made goods.

* That roads don't stay wet all day after rain. You can bet that within an hour or two after rain the roads are dry. Of course, it might rain again but unless its a steady day long downpour, they'll dry pretty quick

* All the new native plants I'm discovering as I redo our garden

* That my roses flower in all 4 seasons

We haven't been here long but every day we see the ocean, and every day it takes our breath away for different reasons. We are surrounded by wildlife. Lots of people have been super nice and accommodating. The other day, my hubby was fortunate enough to win a free ticket to his first ever crows game (they lost but hey!) which meant he could get on the train for half an hour in to the city for free and back again at the end of the evening. This would never happen in England!! When we want to go shopping, to the beach, to anywhere really, parking is free. 37 years in the UK but feel more settled here in two months than most of those 37 years. Rose tinted glasses are a dangerous thing and there is plenty that is not good as well as England. The other good thing is we have found some real bargains on things, it pays to shop around herery much, plus thanks to a promo, we found ourselves the proud owner of 48 bottles of good wine for free cant be bad!!

I'm really enjoying everyone's positive stories about Adelaide. Wildlife, beach, markets and the sky seems to be a theme. ... so looking forward to seeing it for ourselves and the wonder that will be on our child's wee face

I still remember how happy my son was in that first summer when he was able to come home from school and most days we headed to the beach after tea and he could splash in the shallows for ages till it was nearly bedtime and we hopped the tram home. He used to love it and we'd walk the entire length of the local beach along the water line and he would splash and play for an hour or two. And then those early mornings in the summer hols when it was going to be a hot one, we'd hit the beach at 8am for an hour or two, the water was so warm and lovely and we'd be home by 11ish for a few hours to do indoors stuff and chill in the heat of the day.

Those visits did drop off the longer we were here but we still hit the beach of an evening in the week in the warmer months and then head down in the school holidays in the cooler parts of the day.

I still remember how happy my son was in that first summer when he was able to come home from school and most days we headed to the beach after tea and he could splash in the shallows for ages till it was nearly bedtime and we hopped the tram home. He used to love it and we'd walk the entire length of the local beach along the water line and he would splash and play for an hour or two. And then those early mornings in the summer hols when it was going to be a hot one, we'd hit the beach at 8am for an hour or two, the water was so warm and lovely and we'd be home by 11ish for a few hours to do indoors stuff and chill in the heat of the day.

Those visits did drop off the longer we were here but we still hit the beach of an evening in the week in the warmer months and then head down in the school holidays in the cooler parts of the day.

sounds lovely... the more time I've spent away from Oz the more I become fearful of those b i g fish with teeth.... ! will very much look forward to walking along the beach again. Of course we can do that here, and we do. There is nothing quite like the early morning walk before it gets too hot in Oz. Fond memories.