Is it just me/us

Guest Chelseadownunder

Guest Chelseadownunder

Hi Guys

We are due to arrive in Adelaide on November 7th and right now we feel we are on some emotional rollacoaster. Up and down like a yoyo. Me and my wife are waking in the night wide awake. Even the kids have started getting up. I find myself happy as Larry and then something went wrong yesturday with the bank and I went mental:arghh:

Does it get better when you arrive?

Are we the only ones to experience this or have you guys had much the same?

Scott UK (Posted 4.46 AM UK)

Hi Guys

Up and down like a yoyo.

I can assure you at first the same thoughts go through your mind when you get here. So much to do and arrange, so many things to think about.

It does get easier although the emotional roller coaster continues on and off for a good while. Get through it the best you can and it does get easier

Guest Aussie pat

Hi Scott,

We have also been having the same problems with sleep etc. Have also developed a weird and neurotic habit of writing lots of sticky notes to ourselves so we don't forget things. So you aren't going mad. It's par for the course.

It'll probably get wrose before it gets better. But you'll find that each little step you take to settling in over here, the worries will ease and eventually you'll start to feel really settled.

I felt awful the last 2 days in England, hard to describe as I've never felt like it before. I thought it was just me but my parents felt them same a few weeks later when they got here.

You have to remember this is probably the biggest thing you and your family will ever do and the feelings you are having are quite normal.

Best of luck with your move, it will get better.

R :cute:

Guest graandjac

:biglaugh:I Promise you its all normal and i was up all night stewing over things weeks before we left. When you arrive you will be in shock for the first few days but then when things settle down you will be buzzing around with so much to do wont have time to f**t, we found a nice cold glass of ozzie white did the trick. cheers Graham

Hi Guys

We are due to arrive in Adelaide on November 7th and right now we feel we are on some emotional rollacoaster. Up and down like a yoyo. Me and my wife are waking in the night wide awake. Even the kids have started getting up. I find myself happy as Larry and then something went wrong yesturday with the bank and I went mental:arghh:

Are we the only ones to experience this or have you guys had much the same?

Scott UK (Posted 4.46 AM UK)

We fly out on 23rd Sept. until the last week we've been fine. Now the sleepless nights have hit us as we are running out of time to organise everything.

I went on a website for 'poms in oz' and someone was moving to Adelaide as they could only get a visa for SA. The feedback wasn't very positive and didn't make Adelaide seem like a nice place, which has put doubts in my head. :sad:

I've not been back on the website since and just keep thinking about all the good stuff I've read on this website. :)

It's a big step for everyone who does this, but I say jump in with both feet. I don't ever want to look back and think 'what if we had gone to Oz?'.....

Good luck for your move.

Yes we are in the same boat. Up all night worrying and thinking of things. I don't have post its (all gone in the shipping) so have taken to list writing!!

It is such a weird limbo feeling these last few weeks, but I am sure that's normal. Half of me want to just get on with it, the other half keeps thinking comletely the opposite.

It is very strange to think that you are going to places and doing things for the last time here in the UK and I am sure that as Gra says it is still weird when you get there. I love the idea of solving problems with a few glasses of the holy water, can't wait to join you.

Mall & Kev

Guest Martin and Val
Hi Scott,

We have also been having the same problems with sleep etc. Have also developed a weird and neurotic habit of writing lots of sticky notes to ourselves so we don't forget things. So you aren't going mad. It's par for the course.

Hi Scott,

As per Aussie pat's post. We have post it notes all over the house so we don't forget! God only got till 20th Oct! Must sign off now and get on with it........:arghh:

Good luck

Guest Chelseadownunder

Yeh !! apso-blood*-lu-ply Im up for it. If everyone else thats up for it joins this thread that would be great. Look forward to seeing you all over there, and this could be a great start to our lives in Adelaide so that at least we can all start to rebuild that friends network again.

Arrive Nov 7th

Scott UK

Hi All,

yep we know that feeling we go next week 19th sept we are having a leaving party on the 12th and although this is something we wanted to do we are feeling sick at the moment .

The other thing that scares me is although my oh has been very lucky and has got a job it is in the barossa so we will be staying in gawler and the north doesn't seem to get good reviews on here, hope this isn't our first mistake .

Anyway we would however be interested in a meet up when everyone else lands .

Debbie

Guest Martin and Val

Hi Mall & Kev,

As you know we are arriving 22nd Oct and as we don't have anywhere to live a meeting in a pub or bus shelter sounds a great idea.:biglaugh:

Please start that new thread and count us in.

Hope all is going well with your plans.

Martin and Val

Guest thebaddeleys

Hi everyone,

we are coming on the 12th of October and would love to get together with everyone? Sounds like the middle to end of November would be a good time for most people???

Kerry

The other thing that scares me is although my oh has been very lucky and has got a job it is in the barossa so we will be staying in gawler and the north doesn't seem to get good reviews on here, hope this isn't our first mistake .

Debbie

Debbie,

We are in the North at Andrews Farm about 12km south of Gawler. North is fine, Gawler is a nice place. Im sure you will like it there

Guest Alipally

I'm glad that nobody else is sleeping either! :goofy:I thought it was just us!

OH hasn't slept in weeks and weeks, I've made myself ill.... (tooth abscess!) I'm NEVER ill!

I got a job offer that day we got on the plane and have been trying to collect references ever since, via email and time differences 8 hours behind the UK and 15 hours behind Australia!

We've been in LA since monday and I've been to the dentist 3 times and had 2 lots of antibiotics. this last lot seem to be working... :unsure:but I'm not saying anything yet!

We actually arrive on 23rd September, and my job is due to start on 6th October, in those two weeks we've got to find somewhere to live more permanently, collect the dog from Sydney Quarantine and pray that the furniture turns up at the port!!

Just thinking about it makes me want to curl up into a ball and hide in a darkened room!!

I'll be glad when I have a 'home' and the dog back! I realised that we don't have any keys, because we don't have a car, house, motorbike, office.... nothing! We are officially HOBO's!!!

Ali x:wubclub:

Ian is right there are many places in the North and the Barossa that are fine places to live. There is only a small section that gets lambasted. When I came back here to have my first child we rented a really grotty place - painted in that shade of green favoured by councils for public toilets and a fridge from the 50s that resembled a rocket, cos it was so cheap. We were talking about this the other night and decided it was the worst place we ever lived, but it wasn't the last AND it has gone down in our life story as something to be laughed about.

There are established areas and new estates, good schools and plenty of shops etc. Just remember that where you begin your life here will probably not be where you live for ever and at least Adelaide has been narrowed down for you by your husband's job. Whatever you live in first, even if it's not what you left or would choose first up, remember it is only a stepping stone and the only way is up.

There's nothing wrong with north of the city.

Its each to his own.

I prefer the south but its just a personal choice at the end of the day. Don't be put off by others opinions. I think you'll be quite pleasantly surprised.

Rachiegarlo,

That was funny we have just secured a rental (sight unseen), which may turn out to be the same sort of thing. Hope we can laugh about it once the shock wears off!!!

Massive, Gawler is really nice, a proper old fashioned little town with a high street. They serve a cracking bacon sandwich in the cafe on the high street and I heard a rumour that there is going to be a new shopping complext built there soon. We are going to be based 'north' with my OH work.

Everyone else! Looks like there is the need for a meet up once we all arrive, I will start a new thread and suggest date/place etc. Ideas welcome.

Good luck everyone with your moves. See you all when the sun shines!

Mall & Kev (arriving 11th October)

Thanks everyone for the info on the north I think we will be fine its just the not knowing and after all we are more than pleased that ste has got a perminant job . We are treating the whole move like a new adnenture and apart from all the fears we all seem to be sharing at the moment we are looking forward to our arrival on the 21st , so yep we will definatley be up for a meet once everyone else arrives . swampo we will keep looking for the details .

Good luck to you all making this journey in the near future x

Debbie

• 2 weeks later...
Guest pommyprincess

hey all,

theres not much to worry about... and as soon as you get here and get settled pretty much all your worries will disappear. just make sure you dont forget to bring everything...i forgot my fave dress and was spewing. lol :skeptical:

as for being worried about when your here, adelaide is an awesome place, and you will love it...your coming at a perfect time aswell coz summers coming :jiggy:we landed in winter just after the 2006 massive heatwave so it actually felt cold here lol. and if your like me and have some kind of seasonal affective disorder (comes with living in england i reckon) you wouldnt of liked it much.

The last few days in england are pretty hard...mine are a huge drunken blur though, my friends had me out on the p*ss for about the last 2 months i was there hehehe

Best thing tho when you get here, is dont look back with rose coloured glasses...think of the reasons why you moved away, not what your missing out on, coz guaranteed it wont be much lol.

Good luck all you ones getting ready for the big move!! :D