Reflections on the UK and good to be 'home'

Guest Libby1971

Guest Libby1971

Well, I am back from my hols in UK. We went back for just under 2 weeks - don't ever try this, too tiring/ demanding and nothing gets done to your satisfaction.

It was lovely to catch up with family and friends...it was interesting to hear their questions and find out their news. It was devastating to say goodbye and with my sister and aunt I was even more distressed than when we left. The OH had initially declared that we wouldn't be back for 4 years and after the goodbyes he has changed that to 2!!!!

Weather was good for almost all of the time we were back. Sun was shining and for me, England's countryside is still one of the most beautiful places to see, rain or shine, but best when the sun is shining. I feel my spirit soar with the wonder of it all.

Shopping was great...it was touch and go there for a while about whether I could or should leave Sainsburys! Bourbon biscuits, tuna pasta bake sauce mixes, minstrels, pot noodles, bacon crisps, chicken crisps. Thorntons and Cadburys.:notworthy:

Takeaways...peking duck pancakes!! Yum yum...if you know where in Adelaide to get them, please tell me. Curry we can get here if you go to The Balti House. Fish adn chips or more specifically, cod and chips, tasted fantastic.

However, what the trip did for us and for me in particular (I am still struggling to call Aus home) is remind me why we came. We came here to offer our children a better way of life. And they have it. In bucket loads. Coming down the Brighton Road this morning, I was struck by what a pretty city I live in. And the views are to die for. The space is great. The houses are set back from the street in most instances. There is little traffic (although most Aussie drivers are plonkers). The sun is shining.:jiggy:

What I noticed about the UK was the litter. Stacks of it. What a tragic shame...what beauty is there is marred by the dirtiness of some thoughtless gits who should know better.

I also noticed that people seemed to look like Klingons! Nothing from outer space exactly but there were so many people I saw who were frowning or who had wrinkly foreheads and I thought they looked Klingon-ie. Here when the sun shones, there is no mistaking it and you get the sunnies out. In the UK, it sort of shines, and you don't put the shades on and so you wrinkle your forehead to offset the almost bright conditions.

Prices are insane in some areas, although house prices have plummeted. I can only imagine the distress this is causing those who are trying to get here and need to sell their house to do so. It really is a buyers market out there.

People looked morose. Hunched over, tired, weary, little spark. I was shocked by the way people seemed to be weighed down by it all. :(

And the traffic! Queues everywhere and the biggest bl**dy carpark in the world hasn't got much better. We hit signs that said incident ahead, slow down so we and every other car did that and there was no sign of anything going on when we got the junctions it said it was. So a traffic calming measure ended up causing congestion and frustration so to the genius who thought that one up, next time don't bother.

Now this is clearly generalisation, but these are the things I noticed.

I am almost at the point where I could call Adelaide home but this trip has highlighted to me how fortunate I am to be here, and how my life is better for it. I do feel more relaxed about being here, and have had a swift change in my approach to Adelaide.

Much as it grieves me to say this (and I won't do it again in a hurry), Guzzler, you were absolutely right!

Welcome back Lib.

In the short time I have been here I can't ever see myself wanting to go back to live. Grahamdiscribed it and I can't put it better. 'The sky seems bigger here'. It is a much nicer place to live with, on the whole, friendlier, happy people.

Pete

OMG you just reminded me about Bourbon biccies....(one of my childhood favs) will defo need another case for purchases!

I'm glad you had a good time reconnecting with your family, so 2 weeks would never seem long enough. It sometimes does take a trip back to highlight just how much your expectations have shifted. ie litter, my girls had a massive problem with no bins and just chucking litter on the ground as their cousins did. Cousins had to do it for them. As each year goes by here you will feelmore settled and with each trip back, you will remind yourself how lucky you and your kids are. Besides this is where Haighs chocs are made and they personally select the cocoa beans for their annual blend. :D

This is not to say that all folks in England are dour folks with nowt to look happy about, I'm sure if they have a comfortable life and live in a nice place then life is probably good for them too.

Well you'll only have to make your supplies last 2 years now.Lucky you went before the exchange rate dropped out of our favour....I'm hoping it improves before I go...sorry guys who are shifting funds this way!

Guest Guzzler&Sas

Libby & gang - welcome back or home, which ever you feel more appropriate.

Please don't tell Guzzler that he is ever right, it is me who has to live with him!!!

Looking forward to catching up soon ...

Good insights - and I for one, am in no hurry to go back, but then I never have been. Don't get me wrong, it would be great to see family and friends.

All the best ...

Cheers

Sas

:wubclub:

Hi Libby,

Good to hear you are safely back in Adelaide. I've just read that bit about "the Klingons" :( out to my mum and she said you are spot on, she was exactly the same until she arrived here.

Judi x

Great to have you back Libby. Texted you last night but bet you have 100s of them to catch up on.

As I told you - you were missed - especially last week. A bbq just isn't a bbq without you and Bob!!!!

You just highlighted the reason why we hated our last holiday back in the UK and we are currently planning our next visit for August next year. We have no choice, we have family we must see and haven't seen for over 4 years.

To be honest, we don't miss anything materialistic from the UK any more. Everything is available here but some of them you have to pay a bit more for. As for the chinese, if you look in one of the china towns chinese restaurants you will find the peking duck pancakes there. Don't miss curries - hubby makes them just as good as the indian restaurants back in UK.

We only miss family and friends but they move on too and it is somewhat disappointing when you go back for a visit.

Guest the staffords
Well, I am back from my hols in UK. We went back for just under 2 weeks - don't ever try this, too tiring/ demanding and nothing gets done to your satisfaction.

It was lovely to catch up with family and friends...it was interesting to hear their questions and find out their news. It was devastating to say goodbye and with my sister and aunt I was even more distressed than when we left. The OH had initially declared that we wouldn't be back for 4 years and after the goodbyes he has changed that to 2!!!!

Weather was good for almost all of the time we were back. Sun was shining and for me, England's countryside is still one of the most beautiful places to see, rain or shine, but best when the sun is shining. I feel my spirit soar with the wonder of it all.

Shopping was great...it was touch and go there for a while about whether I could or should leave Sainsburys! Bourbon biscuits, tuna pasta bake sauce mixes, minstrels, pot noodles, bacon crisps, chicken crisps. Thorntons and Cadburys.

Takeaways...peking duck pancakes!! Yum yum...if you know where in Adelaide to get them, please tell me. Curry we can get here if you go to The Balti House. Fish adn chips or more specifically, cod and chips, tasted fantastic.

However, what the trip did for us and for me in particular (I am still struggling to call Aus home) is remind me why we came. We came here to offer our children a better way of life. And they have it. In bucket loads. Coming down the Brighton Road this morning, I was struck by what a pretty city I live in. And the views are to die for. The space is great. The houses are set back from the street in most instances. There is little traffic (although most Aussie drivers are plonkers). The sun is shining.:jiggy:

What I noticed about the UK was the litter. Stacks of it. What a tragic shame...what beauty is there is marred by the dirtiness of some thoughtless gits who should know better.

I also noticed that people seemed to look like Klingons! Nothing from outer space exactly but there were so many people I saw who were frowning or who had wrinkly foreheads and I thought they looked Klingon-ie. Here when the sun shones, there is no mistaking it and you get the sunnies out. In the UK, it sort of shines, and you don't put the shades on and so you wrinkle your forehead to offset the almost bright conditions.

Prices are insane in some areas, although house prices have plummeted. I can only imagine the distress this is causing those who are trying to get here and need to sell their house to do so. It really is a buyers market out there.

People looked morose. Hunched over, tired, weary, little spark. I was shocked by the way people seemed to be weighed down by it all. :(

And the traffic! Queues everywhere and the biggest bl**dy carpark in the world hasn't got much better. We hit signs that said incident ahead, slow down so we and every other car did that and there was no sign of anything going on when we got the junctions it said it was. So a traffic calming measure ended up causing congestion and frustration so to the genius who thought that one up, next time don't bother.

I am almost at the point where I could call Adelaide home but this trip has highlighted to me how fortunate I am to be here, and how my life is better for it. I do feel more relaxed about being here, and have had a swift change in my approach to Adelaide.

Much as it grieves me to say this (and I won't do it again in a hurry), Guzzler, you were absolutely right!

hi libby..nice story..but im hurt...deeply...im a klingon,and have been for the past 15 years!! i came to australia to escape the hurtfull remarks etc...after 3 years here,i at last felt i was being acccepted...then i read your thread..and all the old wounds were opened up again!:sad:

heres my story...i suffer terribly with pmt(wife has it,i suffer with it)..ive got a 4 yr old wild child boy and an 11 yr old princess...i cant wear shades(broken nose..they just dont sit right).....so please...next time...just think....klingons have feelings too ;)

Hi Libby

Welcome back to sunny Adelaide and dare I say it welcome home...? I really enjoyed reading your post, you do write such entertaining ones! Such a joy to read.

I'm glad to hear you're happy to be back despite the traumatic goodbyes. It's also reassuring to know you feel you made the right decision about moving here, particularly for your children.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts...

Dette

:)

Guest graandjac

:)wise words libby.......going back to the uk was a big decesion for you all to make but if it helps you to realise what you now have here, then it was worth every penny .......welcome home

Guest The Angus Clan

Shopping was great...it was touch and go there for a while about whether I could or should leave Sainsburys! Bourbon biscuits, tuna pasta bake sauce mixes, minstrels, pot noodles, bacon crisps, chicken crisps. Thorntons and Cadburys.:notworthy:

However, what the trip did for us and for me in particular (I am still struggling to call Aus home) is remind me why we came. We came here to offer our children a better way of lif What a tragic shame...need to sell their house to do so. It really is a buyers market out there.

People looked morose. Hunched over, tired, weary,world hasn't got much better. We hit signs that said incident ahead, slow down so we and every other car did that and there was no sign of anything going on when we got the junctions it said it was. So a traffic calming measure ended up causing congestion and frustration so to the genius who thought that one up, next time don't bother.

I am almost at the point where I could call Adelaide home but this trip has highlighted

Hi Libby, glad you are back safely- that's an awful long way to come for just 2 wks!

You've hit the nail on the head! Every other person I pass these days is stooped over, weary and dour! We noticed the difference when we were in Oz last year! Can't wait to get away! Glad you are feeling more settled .

Marcia

Guest salisbury massive

Hi

You can buy the frozen pancakes for the peking duck at central markets and get the hoisin sauce as well. Buy a duck, cook it, some spring onions and cucumber and hey presto. I've been doing my own now for ages, and I always get loads of pancakes and keep them in the freezer.

i must agree with you on the time limit, we went back for 13 days last year and spent the whole time house hopping and getting little quality time with anyone, I think 3 weeks is definately the mimimum time to go back for.

You are so right about everyone looking grey and miserable, even the kids noticed, they said it was like watching Eastenders!!!!!

Jo

Brilliant pancakes with crispy duck, spring onions, cucumber and hoisin sauce at the chinese opposite Tea Tree Gully Hotel - think its the Raffles Rooms or something? Anyway, probably on good as far as location goes for you, Libby, but Jo, give it a try and save on the washing up at home!

D

Awwww, sweet.

As a current "klingon", i must agree, everyone here looks morose............except me!

Happy am i with the house sold, the flights booked and a place to stay in Adelaide!!

Glad your trip was useful, now relax and enjoy what you found there, i sure am looking forward to a better life for the kids.

xx

Jane

Guest moonraker1959

Well I think it depends where you live in the UK.I certainly don't have loads of litter around me,neither do we have lots of people walking around looking morose!Most folk I know are always up for a good laugh :biglaugh:

Well I think it depends where you live in the UK.I certainly don't have loads of litter around me,neither do we have lots of people walking around looking morose!Most folk I know are always up for a good laugh :biglaugh:

Hi,

you can't be living in the Medway towns then where I used to live !:):)

Simon

Guest the staffords
hoho mr(s) soggy.

Can't be cos you moved can it?:biglaugh: seriously tho', my cuz lives in Swindon, dunno why, he just does!!; and even he says the folks are down hearted.........maybe cos you left eh?

it's good to hear somewhere south of merkeyside you can have a laff, didn't seem so in Cheltenham!!

oooh jane,,,im as south of merkyside as you can get(morphett vale)and i am constantly havin a larf.!!!

p.s. my mrs wants one of those sayers cheese and onion pasties...reckon it would be worth about $20 to here!!!

paul.