What to go out and buy for the container?

tina&steve

getting ready to leave the UK and come over to Adelaide and wanted to ask what should I be buying to put in the container?

What is hard to get hold off? Someone told me winter duvets anything else?

have 5 days of shopping left:confused:

Cheers for your help xx

Tina xxx

Ps I dont like marmite:biglaugh:

Guest Guzzler&Sas

I'll get in before the usual suspects and say, buy as much as you can from Next, M&S,Tesco, because without these company products you will not survive:biglaugh:,

on a more serious note you may want to bring some medications that are familiar to you and your family, Calpol being a good example.

If you are not already bringing one, a tumble dryer(condenser) would be cheaper in the UK, dishwashers are also cheaper,

Guzzler

Guest Guzzler&Sas

Hi there

Magic cream .... well if you have kids who fall over and are scrapping their knees or getting mossie bites - then Germoline/Savlon. Obviously named magic cream in our house.

Ignore my husbands sarcasm - there are plenty of clothes shops here for kids and adults, but you may want to raid Primark/Asda for cheaper kids clothes - jeans were about 1.50pounds when we were there as opposed to $15-20 here for a pair.

Mind you, there are plenty of salvos/second hand shops here and no-one really worries what their kids wear - we have gone back to the hand-me-down, play clothes mentality here which my parents had and it never did me any harm - well at least I think it didn't! hahaha!

Cheers

Sas

:wubclub:

i agree about duvets and bedding in generalis expensive here, also towels too can never have too many of those!! Id say bring everything, i regret not bringing stuff like laundry baskets and airers as you only have to buy them again. Oh line props they dont sell them here (not that i need one) but you can buy clothes lines but no line props lol.

ps can u bring me some prawn cocktail crisps, half a container should do it :biglaugh:

Argos Sun Loungers, and a couple of spare cushions for them (and can you bring me a couple too please?!) You just CANNOT get nice ones here, specially the reclinable ones, and believe me, I have looked everywhere in the past four years! I know it's not the done thing to lie int he sun here, but I need to keep my vitamin D levels up!

The white goods are well worth bringing though

Make sure you take all the wrapping and stickers off, so that it doesn't look too obvious that it's less than 12 months old... I'm not sure how hot they are on checking, but it's one of those things you have to declare - for import duty.;)

It's been a couple of years since we packed up, but I seem to remember electrical goods over £200 and less than 12 months old had to be declared...

Bisto, Galaxy (OMG I miss that)........... If you like M&S undies then stock up as I have found that the most difficult thing to buy. You can get most things here (except Galaxy) its just costs an arm and a leg. Probably coz they know us Brits are desperate. Oh did I mention Galaxy LOL

LOl thanks guys. Looks like I'll be spending my day off shopping tomorrow:biglaugh:.

What size bedding? do they have single double and kingsize like the UK?

Done the Debenhams and next sale for my sons clothes so he will need half a container for his clothes and the other half for crisps and chocolate:biglaugh:

forgive me guys; this sounds like a red cross parcel :biglaugh:

Now i have to re evaluate my container goods; i could make a killing on crisps and chocolate..................will you still want them if they're stale after 12 weeks in a container?:P

wish i hadn't sold all my white goods now......blow it to smithereens; and i was sending a couple of duvets... the rest i have to have until i fly out; wonder what the air frieght cost would be???

Can I add a question to this, is it worth or even allowed to send stuff like cleaning products, you know bathroom, kitchen cleaner etc,,,,, Just thinking of the very first supermarket shop with two kids and having to buy absolutley everything. Just where do they draw the line on what you can take?? I'm talking unopened here.

Bit of an organisation freak and thinking of getting all my 'products' in ready for arrival!!

Guest Sharron & Andrew

Hi Scousemouse,

We have been advised by the shipping company to take everything we can - nice gentleman came round last week and made a list of everything we could take (and informed us of few that we couldn't). We also got a quote for air freight as my husband wanted to keep a few of his hand tools back, this is what we were quoted:

To final residence Adelaide, Australia for the sum of £295.00 upto 25kg, thereafter at a rate of £8.70 per kilo.

Best of luck with the packing!!

Sharron x

To final residence Adelaide, Australia for the sum of £295.00 upto 25kg, thereafter at a rate of £8.70 per kilo.

Hi there. I would get another quote on that :shocked: at the beginning of August I sent some things over air freight (did too much shopping on my hol to the UK) it cost me just over GBP 100.00 to send 29 KG over to Adelaide which arrived a couple of days after me! The company I used were based in Exeter but there must surely be some that are cheaper in your area too! :unsure: Failing that people were advising me at the time to try excess baggage company - this was also quoting much cheaper than the company have quoted you

Every penny helps

Good luck

Guest Guzzler&Sas
Can I add a question to this, is it worth or even allowed to send stuff like cleaning products, you know bathroom, kitchen cleaner etc,,,,, Just thinking of the very first supermarket shop with two kids and having to buy absolutley everything. Just where do they draw the line on what you can take?? I'm talking unopened here.

Bit of an organisation freak and thinking of getting all my 'products' in ready for arrival!!

I would imagine that you will arrive before your container?, if not I wouldn't bother bringing anything that " could" cause a fuss this end,

Guzzler

Guest Sharron & Andrew

Hi,

I don't know if the quote reflects the sort of items that would be going (bricklayers tools) and the fact that they have to be cleaned and crated, but we have decided that we won't be sending anything air freight!!

Whatever tools he can't pack in the container, he can leave behind God only knows he has pleanty of them, leaving one or two behind won't kill him!!!

Depending on when we travel we may still have to get a quote from people for excess baggage though as 16 year old says she can't live without any of her things whilst the container arrives she NEEDS everything!!!!

Sharron x

Guest Alipally

DON'T PUT CHOCOLATE IN YOUR CONTAINER!!!

Remember it passes through the equator with no Airconditioning... it will be a mushy mess by the time it gets here! Bring it in your luggage... much safer!

Seriously the only thing that's bothered me so far is the gravy mix! :shocked: But if you're desperate you can buy both Bisto granules and powder ... so not really a problem and if all else fails.... make your own stock and buy cornflour like the old uns had to!

Clothes are expensive, and from what I've seen of the underwear available.... My sisters have their work cut out for them... shopping in M&S..... Just because you live here doesn't mean that you can't appreciate what the UK has to offer on occasions!!

Guest the staffords
Hi there

Magic cream .... well if you have kids who fall over and are scrapping their knees or getting mossie bites - then Germoline/Savlon. Obviously named magic cream in our house.

Ignore my husbands sarcasm - there are plenty of clothes shops here for kids and adults, but you may want to raid Primark/Asda for cheaper kids clothes - jeans were about 1.50pounds when we were there as opposed to $15-20 here for a pair.

Mind you, there are plenty of salvos/second hand shops here and no-one really worries what their kids wear - we have gone back to the hand-me-down, play clothes mentality here which my parents had and it never did me any harm - well at least I think it didn't! hahaha!

Cheers

Sas

:wubclub:

wow...its called magic cream in our house too!!!and lipsol(magic lipstick)....and all this talk of bringing quilts!!if you used to have "a quilt in your bathroom"?....then bring some decent bog roll...cuz the stuff over here is absolute crap(pardon the pun)....so thin and flimsy...never shake hands with an aussie!:err:

wow...its called magic cream in our house too!!!and lipsol(magic lipstick)....and all this talk of bringing quilts!!if you used to have "a quilt in your bathroom"?....then bring some decent bog roll...cuz the stuff over here is absolute crap(pardon the pun)....so thin and flimsy...never shake hands with an aussie!:err:
Plenty of decent bog roll here..................you just have to pay more for it:)........or buy a sh*t load when its on special:biglaugh:

Bisto, Galaxy (OMG I miss that)........... If you like M&S undies then stock up as I have found that the most difficult thing to buy. You can get most things here (except Galaxy) its just costs an arm and a leg. Probably coz they know us Brits are desperate. Oh did I mention Galaxy LOL
Try a bar of DOVE..........you may be surprised at the taste:)

Hmmmm look like a could be changing jobs in Oz:idea:. I could be a spiv and sell stuuf on the black market like in the war:biglaugh:

Instead of nylons it will be crisp chocy and next clothes place your orders;)

Thank for all your help lots of goodies toi add to yet another list.

tina xx

• 1 year later...
Guest JoTanCalOwen

Hello all,

Just jumping on the band wagon a bit here, someone mentioned before about white goods, well i have never had tumble dryer, had thought about bringing airers, but white goods, hmmm not sure ... I would love to bing my cooker fridge freezer and washing machine are these possible to bring over? Cooker is gas and elec tho also arger style with 8 rings so probably a bit too big

Thanks

Tanya