pools

Guest ali@51

Guest ali@51

Hi

We have just been ogeling at the houses in adelaide and it got us thinking. On our everlenghtening wish list is a pool.we are not however averse to having one put in ourselves. so as I am married to an accountant (deep pockets short arms) who has allready worked out our budget I wonder if anyone can help by letting us know give or take how much it would cost???

thanks very much

Guest graandjac

Hi Ali, If I remember rightly (bit fuzzy!) on Wanted Down Under prog they had a bit of info on pools and to build, cost in the region of $8,000 start and around $100 to maintain monthly and that's using a pool tech person to come and do it all for you! Not bad we thought. It's on our wish list too!

Gra and Jac

Guest steph&neil

hi there we priced this as well were looking at the fibre glass pools about 10k (£) for a good sized pool - we looked up a site from a company in adelaide - alphapools.com.au this site will give you all the options to get started

They arrange fir the permit you need to fill the pool fir the 1st time (we were told can take a while depending on time of year, & i think you have to have it inspected before it can be filled - shock no short cut in paperwork!

hope this helps

steph x :P

Guest Guest75

Hmmmm.....pools.A never ending debate seems to go on about "should I have one?" in the forums over the years.

It is totally personal choice and not obligatory.

Recently we've been viewing quite a few property's and every time the agent realizes you are English they mention the pool.Either that the house has room for a pool or we will love it because it has a pool!!

It's not obligatory.:rolleyes:

Saying that we have a pool.

For a variety of reasons........

We like swimming.

Not keen on the sea (scary things in there!)

It's great for keeping visitors kids entertained while we get down to some serious partying.

It looks great, we have it landscaped into the hillside and it is a real feature that that adds value to Tyke Towers.

You can buy above ground pools quite reasonable ( rough guess they start at $ 4000 with pump / filter and good quality)

A friend has just had one fitted by either Alpha pools or Freedom pools. A nice fiberglass number that cost around $22,000.

The extras can add up - you must put up fencing around the pool by law, then there is the landscaping. It can be quite a money pit.

We use ours around 6 months of the year.We have solar heating - which is fairly standard now.

Running costs are not too bad, the electric bill can be high in Summer when you run the pool / solar for up to 10 hours per day.

Chemicals are minimal as our pool is a salt water one.Much less salt than the sea and it operates by a chlorinator that runs a small charge through the filter and releases chlorine from the salt.

Pools are easy to maintain if you keep up with them. In winter I put about 30 mins per week. In Summer about 2 x 30 mins per week.

It's up to you if you need a pool guy. I know one if you need one;)

I do my own maintenance as I work from home.

Hopefully you can see these piccies............

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z5/auseelife/pool050904.jpg

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z5/auseelife/Pool2.jpg

Guest deb and stoo

WOW

That looks just amazing.......do you do guided tours around 'Tyke Towers' ? If not you should start to.

:)

Stoo Deb & Boyz

Guest Guest75
WOW

That looks just amazing.......do you do guided tours around 'Tyke Towers' ? If not you should start to.

:)

Stoo Deb & Boyz

Errrm.kind of;)

We held a large family wedding around the pool a few years ago , celebrant and all:)

Your pool is gorgeous Tyke, thanks for the piccies - I can always dream, maybe one day !

Can I ask, us poms well me anyhow, believe you need min 600m2 plot for such luxury - am I right or do you need more?

Do you know how far from the house it needs to be?

Why the questions? Well easy really, we have seen a few houses within our budget on similar size plots BUT the back of the properties do look relatively small, having said that there is space but my OH thinks that there will be health & safety guidelines for installation ie the fence & he is convinced with the footings etc it needs to be so far from the back of the house - is he right ?? Thanks kindly for your help

Angela

Guest The Bowmans

Wow Tyke

Now I'm very jealous! I really really want one now! It;s just moved way up the wish list. Thanks for the costings, really useful.

Deena :D

Guest graandjac

:eek: Tyke! - I'm gonna need to do some serious running before I come to one of your pool parties!!!

The wet part of your landscape looks sensational. World Cup pool party at yours it is - maybe?!! :D

Jac x

Guest Guest75
Your pool is gorgeous Tyke, thanks for the piccies - I can always dream, maybe one day !

Can I ask, us poms well me anyhow, believe you need min 600m2 plot for such luxury - am I right or do you need more?

Do you know how far from the house it needs to be?

Why the questions? Well easy really, we have seen a few houses within our budget on similar size plots BUT the back of the properties do look relatively small, having said that there is space but my OH thinks that there will be health & safety guidelines for installation ie the fence & he is convinced with the footings etc it needs to be so far from the back of the house - is he right ?? Thanks kindly for your help

Angela

I'm no expert but here goes..........

I'd certainly approach the council and discuss with an officer the regulations regarding a pool.There is planning permission and safety guidelines to consider.Most council officers are very helpful and welcome questions. Pool builders have to abide by strict codes but it helps to have advise from other quarters.

A 600m2 plot should be sufficient, make sure that you can have access to the site for heavy machinery though.

You could always have a lap pool built - it's only small but has a jet of water that simulates a current if you know what I mean.

I'd have the pool installed as far away from the house as possible. I'm sure the digging out can cause a little movement in the slab / footings.

This can really have a effect if the builder hits rock on digging out.Not only will it cost you extra ,it will also disturb the ground more.

There are strict guidelines regarding a pool installation and the fitting of fences.

You have to apply for planning permission , have a soil test done (this indicates how strong the pool has to be), apply for a water permit to initially fill the pool. Fences have to be of regulation height with self closing gates and child proof locks.

You pool builder and local council will guide you through it all.

The build can be very stressful depending on how involved you become and what style of pool you have.

I did become involved and regularly sought solace in a few beers!!

The landscaping was quite a job as we wanted to have the entire setting in proportion to the pool itself.

This meant the obligatory fencing turned into a Corral rather than a playpen (cost $5,000+).I recommend the fencing company any day , they especially curved the fencing onsite which was a bonus as we did not want straight lines, just natural curves.

I did become quite obsessed as both the pool builder and I had a vision of what we wanted, our visions agreed but timescales did not!!

It really worked well for us, considering we work from home and don't really take holidays it fits our lifestyle completely.

Guest ali@51

Thanks Tyke

thats really usefull It has brought up a few issues we hadent thought off. It has now been printed of and is living in our usefull info file. Imortalized in print:D

Guest bev_stef

Hey Tyke

Those are gorgeous photos, looks like a very relaxing place to be, beats looking out the rain pelting down on the horrible pavement outside. I'm still a bit nervous abut having a pool with 2 scampy little ones mind you, may have to wait until theyre a little older.:rolleyes:

Bev

Your pool looks absolutely beautiful Tyke! And to think it was just the Beddlingtons that I was jealous of- before I saw those pics! (I'm not really jealous 'cos I love our Maltese-Shi Tsu X and Cocker Spaniel soo much. Well, more than I love the kids anyway!)

We also have a pool..it's quite large but compared to Tyke's, perhaps more of a puddle than a pool. Anyway, when we bought our house we had just come over. The pool looked lovely, and we weren't spending in dollars at that point, so we didn't check it out too much. This year we've had to replace the sand in the filter, plus the pool pump. No real drama, but almost $1500 has been spent on the thing this summer. Which was money I could have used elsewhere.

I don't suppose anyone else would be as blase as us though.

:cool:LC

Guest dglamoore

We have a huge pool in our front garden and no maintenance costs either :o:p

Does get a bit chilly this time of year though :(

The pool at Tyke Towers is stunning and the tour guide was great too :cool:

Lisa

Guest Guest75
Your pool looks absolutely beautiful Tyke! And to think it was just the Beddlingtons that I was jealous of- before I saw those pics! (I'm not really jealous 'cos I love our Maltese-Shi Tsu X and Cocker Spaniel soo much. Well, more than I love the kids anyway!)

We also have a pool..it's quite large but compared to Tyke's, perhaps more of a puddle than a pool. Anyway, when we bought our house we had just come over. The pool looked lovely, and we weren't spending in dollars at that point, so we didn't check it out too much. This year we've had to replace the sand in the filter, plus the pool pump. No real drama, but almost $1500 has been spent on the thing this summer. Which was money I could have used elsewhere.

I don't suppose anyone else would be as blase as us though.

:cool:LC

You've got me thinking of a name for that cross of dog now. Cross's are popular here aren't they. Good job it was not a cross between a Bulldog and a Shi Tzu ;)

I know a pool guy in your area if you ever need one.His Missus posts here as Sparklycat ;)

Guest Guest75
We have a huge pool in our front garden and no maintenance costs either :o:p

Does get a bit chilly this time of year though :(

The pool at Tyke Towers is stunning and the tour guide was great too :cool:

Lisa

Cheers Lisa.

Can Dawn swim??

Guest Aussiebound

Thanks for the lovely pictures of your pool and all the info on having them installed. A pool in highest on our list, none of us beach or sea lovers, would much rather have a nice pool. Just want to be there now!!!