Friendly Little creatures...

Guest LynziC

I've been back and forth on the whole 'Australia's Deadliest Creatures' hype.

I mean last year I stepped on an Inch ant and nearly cried about it, later realizing I probably overreacted a tad.

I've seen a range of bugs and spiders in the house, nothing too scary and seeing crocs and snakes in the NT had made me become very blazé about Australian wildlife - that is until I got home from work tonight and screamed the whole street down...

My friendly postman had left me a little note to say that he had left me a parcel in the 'gas meter box' - hmmm? I have to admit I had no idea where this was let alone what was inside.

So after some investigation I found the box and ambled inside noticing the large amount of cobwebs, I grabbed the big parcel inside and out on top of it was a nice fat black redback spider. Needless to say I screamed like my life depended on it, grabbed the fly spray and a piece of wood and proceeded like a crazed woman to flatten it!

Slightly more scary than the inch ant incident, and i will go back to believing that the aussie wildlife is hardcore.

What was in the parcel? A potato squeezer from mum - no more lumpy mash for me!

Let me know your encounters, and yes I am a big wuss...:shocked:

Lynz xxxx

...uh oh... well I have to admit that I have now gone to find out what exactly these Inch Ants that you mention are. They don't sound too good.

And in any case, apparently the UK is getting funnelweb spiders and black widows which are imported with goods from Australia and they're not dying because our winters are coming later and not quite as cold so they're able to just about survive here now meaning they can effectively breed and we'll definitely within the next 10 years be able to find them during British Summers over here!

You have my sympathy Lynzi! I brought the post in a couple of weeks ago and by accident brought in a huuuge huntsman spider! My girlish screams could be heard all the way to the CBD I imagine. When we first arrived in Adelaide I was bitten on the boob by an inch ant (long story as to how it got up there...) and it hurt like bugger. Death to all insects I say!:biglaugh:

You have my sympathy Lynzi! I brought the post in a couple of weeks ago and by accident brought in a huuuge huntsman spider! My girlish screams could be heard all the way to the CBD I imagine. When we first arrived in Adelaide I was bitten on the boob by an inch ant (long story as to how it got up there...) and it hurt like bugger. Death to all insects I say!:biglaugh:

Ouch! :huh: I reckon that would of hurt lots! My hubby tells me huntsman are harmless but when you can't find a glass in the cupboard big enough to trap one it's wrong!!!

It's bug season now and all the critters are getting in, i hate the black wormy things, the earwig looking things and the moths which, quite frankly, sound like big birds flapping round the room!

I Check my shoes every morning.....

Guest Guest75

:biglaugh:

You do seem to be having fun with the wild life.

I was chased by a very unhappy Koala yesterday up here at our place,

Not the sweetest creatures when enraged.:realmad:

Even the cute things can have attitude here:swoon:

I'm tired and sunburnt now so I'll get the pictures and whole tale on tomorrow

oh, this made my flesh crawl, and gave me a needed giggle at the same time:huh:

Never heard of inch ants, are they an inch big then????

Oh, and my boy has been asking for a "goolie-gaurd".........cos my brother said the redbacks hide under the lavvy seat just so's they can munch on yer nads!!

Sad.but true, so if you know where i can purchase said protective wear.......please tell.

Guest sarahsmartiepants
...uh oh... well I have to admit that I have now gone to find out what exactly these Inch Ants that you mention are. They don't sound too good.

And in any case, apparently the UK is getting funnelweb spiders and black widows which are imported with goods from Australia and they're not dying because our winters are coming later and not quite as cold so they're able to just about survive here now meaning they can effectively breed and we'll definitely within the next 10 years be able to find them during British Summers over here!

That seems like a good swap............... exchange migrants for deadly insects:biglaugh:

oh, this made my flesh crawl, and gave me a needed giggle at the same time:huh:

Never heard of inch ants, are they an inch big then????

Oh, and my boy has been asking for a "goolie-gaurd".........cos my brother said the redbacks hide under the lavvy seat just so's they can munch on yer nads!!

Sad.but true, so if you know where i can purchase said protective wear.......please tell.

Yes Inch ants are indeed an inch long, it's like the daddy of ants and they give you a nasty sting! over the next month or so you'll see them at night mostly.

Goolie guard!! ha ha... well unless your toilet is in a dark shed down the bottom of the yard you won't be getting redbacks biting your bits any time soon...

Basically just don't go putting your hands in random dark cubby holes :unsure:

Redbacks are deadly though on a serious note, even though i almost had a religion against killing spiders (cos they eat the other house bugs for us and the mozzies) these superhero-looking spiders (big red lightning flash on the back) need to be eliminated!

Here is a friendly hunstman on my fence last summer.....

Lynz xxxx