Money for emigrating

Guest darlo 2 adelaide

Guest darlo 2 adelaide

Dear chaps/ladies

Jusy a quick question for anyone interested. How much would you say is a bare minimum amount of dollars to have on arrival for someone when they have a job lined up but no financial help re beefits as am on the wrong visa (didn't know this until recently) as am on 457 (sponsored visa). I know everyone's taste/ expense is different but I'm really cheap, so want to know cheap amounts please. Any suggestions really helpful.

Sarah:err:

Guest Guest75

It's a very hard question to answer Sarah .

"As much as you can" is my first reaction.

You feel as if the money flows like water for the first few weeks here as you are getting established.

You need rent,bond,perhaps some rent upfront.Car purchase,perhaps house contents to buy - if not some temp stuff while your container arrives.

Good that you have a job lined up though - at least the saving will be replenished.

Hi Sarah

We came over in similar circumstances, and although hard, we have survived so far.

We only brought over about $4k in cash.

I suggest that you get your bank accounts opened before you leave the uk. With your job offer, you can apply for a credit card too before you arrive. This is what we did, and used it for emergency cash flow when necessary.

You just need to collect your cards at a local branch on arrival.

We also used the credit card to buy a very basic family car for $3k

We were able to arrange our (furnished) rental before we arrived, and paid 3 months plus bond up front, so we did not have to worry about rental payments initially.

Rememeber that most places are paid fortnightly, so if you start work asap (I started within a week of arriving), then you only have to wait 2 weeks for your 1st paycheck.

Cheers

Si

Guest darlo 2 adelaide

many thanks simon

I feel better now, especially knowing you arrived only 11 months ago, and surely prices etc shouldn't have changed that much.

sarah

Guest ReadyPenny

Hi Sarah

We will be taking £5k in cash and also have a job to start immediately. I know other members on here, who I have discussed this with at some lenth, who are actually there now and did it on less than this!!!!

It can be done, they are living proof of it, I suppose it depends on how determined you are!

I will be going in March with this amount come hell or high water!!! Unless I win the lottery in between!

Mandy

Guest brandyslad

We will only be heading out with about four grand max in cash. I have thought about this too and sometime I see people on forums chatting about amounts like 20 grand etc and I feel like passing out! We will have to get jobs out there asap, our only benefit is there is just the two of us so if we have to rough it for a while we will, plus we are both prepared to do anything (within reason LOL) for work to get up on our feet.

Hi Sarah

Cost of living here is defintately more expensive than we anticipated.

and we've only been here 3 month... not 11 :)

Not saying its easy, but it can be done..

Si

many thanks simon

I feel better now, especially knowing you arrived only 11 months ago, and surely prices etc shouldn't have changed that much.

sarah

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Carl Hallam

Just as a rough guide what does a loaf of bread cost , litre of diesle, dvd, etc . Landing August 2009 and bringing over wife and two kids will have approx £10k and i am a sparkie here and hope to soon get work over there , hoping this is enough to start, may have somewhere to stay as wife is ausie and her sis lives in Adelaide.

Guest Alipally

If you shop around, you can get a loaf of bread for $1.20, however it's perfectly possible to buy a loaf of bread for $3.40 if you're not careful!

Diesel is pricey at the moment.... $1.30 ish...(not sure as we have petrol now!) Petrol is around the 94c mark this week, but it changes all the time... we arrived in September and it was $1.40!!

Rent..... We pay $420 per week, but that's expensive I'm told.... $320 seems to be about the 'norm' for a 3/4 bed house.....You will need a deposit and two weeks rent up front at least..... if you really want to make sure that you get what you want then you are at liberty to offer 6 months rent 'up front', it definitely helps (Money always talks, whether we like it or not!)

Mobiles;

tbh, pay as you go is IMO the way to go... we have contracts but they're all for 2 years and they're pricey.

SA salaries are less that other states in Australia... the cost of living here doesn't compensate for that......

Tradies;

Don't know enough to give 'proper advice' but I am aware that you will need to do some extra studies to get a licence....... Find out what it is and try and do it before you get here via correspondence if it's possible, otherwise you'll be stuck in a ****ty paid job where you know more than the licenced sparky who will be paid a whole lot more than you! (I've heard it really sucks and Aussie sparkies are ummmm..... and I know this is a generalisation, but they're 'lacking'!!!:err:)

Hey we will be landing with only £5k thats all we have in the world no house to sell in UK so no equity either. I know lots of people say they only have a couple of thousand to take but they also have a house here in the UK selling or trying to sell which will usually give them a brucie bonus equity payout!! We are gonna go for it and with what we have and not worry about it ... I suggest you do the same! xx:emoticon-signxmas:

Guest Carl Hallam

hope all goes well for you,where are you living out there, we get there 18th Aug 09 woohoo cant wait wife is an ausie but ive never been, talk about a leap of faith although i'm a sparky so hopfully fing work fast once cour children are in school, two girls will be 10 and 12 when we land

Hey don't worry. We brought with us what we sold our car for (£4,500) and we survived okay and we have 4 children. The cost of living is about the same as it is in the UK. Admittedly we have a 175 visa and get family assistance which is a bonus but we still could have done it without this as we have spent out on stuff we didn't need to. Also you will find that going out is a lot cheaper here than the UK.

Good luck

Pete