"Adelaidians"

Diane

Just reading on another thread where Libby (I think) came up with this word and it made me smile. Reminded me of when I was chatting to another mum at the school who originated from NSW - now I know we are "South Australians" and there are "Victorians" in and around Melbourne, but I wondered what those who come from New South Wales were - you got it "New South Welshmen" - even if they're women! I guess Queenslanders is a pretty obvious one - but what about those from NT? and are those in Perth Western Australians or West Australians? Sydney dwellers are Sydneysiders, what about Melbourne? And is there such a thing as a Brisbanian? A Cairnian? A Perthian? A Hobarthian?

Guest Libby1971

Yes it's my word and I claim the copyright. All requests for publishing consent go through me or my agent (the dog in this case)!!!:laughxmas:

Good questions!!! It is a crying shame that it is the end of term now as I do my best thinking during assembly (see thread devoted to new lyrics about hair cuts with the Rescue me tune)

I think a Melbourne dweller is Melbournite. Probably utter tripe but it sounds quite exotic, don't you think? Hobart is a Hobartanian.

I am just making this cr*p up, can you tell?

LOL Typical teacher Libby - you can say these things with total conviction and I for one am convinced it is all totally factual! Although I have to say i thought people from Hobart might be Hobbits....

Thanks, Cribber, for the "Topender" one - although maybe you too are making that one up ..... sounds feasible anyway!

I wonder if a Brisbane dweller that eats no meat or dairy is a Brisvegan then?

Guest Libby1971

Hobbits? Brilliant idea. These words might exist, I just have no idea so I have checked on www.thefreedictionary.com and guess what? Adelaidian is a word!!!!!!!!!! Woo hoo, I know what I am talking about, I just can't spell properly as they have it as Adelaidean. Actually I can spell coz it looks better my way. Anyway, it is a work in progress for the others as I strive to look up the others.

Guest Guest75

Talking of copyright.......I claim the word "Pozzie" .Mentioned by my own fair hands at this PC.

Short for a Pommie Ozzie........now mentioned in a lot of forums.............. You heard it here first folks :wisemanxmas:

And there are Darwinians as well

• 4 weeks later...
Guest 0405delboy
and ... wait for it... Adelads

Hello to all,

Might have already been said but people from Adelaide are also known as croweaters!

0405delboy:embarrassed:

I truly don't want to rain on anyone's parade and I can only think there's something evil about me for even mentioning this but....(take a deep breathe LC)

Here goes... Adelaidean is a bit before Libby - used before 1840 (:GEEK:). TBH I'd heard it before so just looked in an Australian dictionary before posting. Am I bad?

I'll get my coat....

Yours scared of reprisals,:swoon:

LC

Guest Guest75
I truly don't want to rain on anyone's parade and I can only think there's something evil about me for even mentioning this but....(take a deep breathe LC)

Here goes... Adelaidean is a bit before Libby - used before 1840 (:GEEK:). TBH I'd heard it before so just looked in an Australian dictionary before posting. Am I bad?

I'll get my coat....

Yours scared of reprisals,:swoon:

LC

You heard it used before 1840???

Even I didn't think you were that old!

Guest Guest75
Aaw, shucks!

:)

Stop it you two..............Must be something in the water here !

Was going to use the "mucky" emoticon but don't want to be offensive - just seeing two happy people in love ;)