Is there anything about a UK Christmas you miss ?

Guest Rob and Clare

Guest Rob and Clare

It's just for fun, so no slander, but is there anything you miss about a UK christmas ?

I know family and the cold may come high on everybodies list, but as annoying as i used to find Christmas songs, I miss Slade, Wizard and the Pogues not being played in every shop and on every radio station from November onwards and your fed up of them by the start of December:winkxmas:.... and the christmas parties i've been too, they always seem to have a band rather than a DJ (which is pretty good actually), but the DJ's in the UK play dodgy party songs that you can only enjoy at 11:00 after 6 pints of beer... So you can imagine the classy parties i've been too.....

Merry Christmas and a Bonza New Year :coolxmas:

Yeah top of my list is family and definately the cold, which I thought I would never say, but I just don't feel like Xmas without wearing jumpers, scarves and hats!!!!

Merry Xmas to all xx

Lynn

Well I have a packet of Paxo in my cupboard that we bought here a few weeks ago so I'm not missing that! I've been listening to radio 2 every day via the internet so I'm not missing the fab chrissy music either. I'm definitely not missing the cold and my only family is in Florida at the moment so to be completely honest - not missing anything at all!!:emoticon-signxmas:

Guest turners

We are finding it hard to feel chrismassey but think it's mostly due to the weather feels strange crimbo shopping in your summer clothes but hey it beats the freezin cold uk hands down

:emoticon-signxmas:Apart from my loved ones in the UK,

The smell of christmas

real christmas tree's

frost

snow

friends just popping in with cards

well thats it really, but on the other hand

What I would miss if I were in the UK,

Carole's by candlelight

The smell of the beach

early evening swims in the sea

just having a bbq at the beach, park, Zoo and swimming pools ect

Blue sky

Sunshine

fun

the kids smiling as they love the outdoors

Cheap seafood.

Just to say, when we got here last christmas we found everything so difficult, I know we are not the only one's, well I have to say and most of you prob know this, that we were going home at one stage in Sept this year, well, I don't ever ever ever want to go back to England other than to visit my friends and family, and I was never in the I hate the UK gang and still not but I just love living here now and have no doubt in my mind even though I could do with winning the lottery, that We have chosen the right path for us and our kiddies.

So just for anyone who is feeling homesick or feeling are we doing the right thing, you will be fine eventually stick it out, because its all worth it in the end.

I want to wish everyone a great christmas and if there are any parties going on do not hesitate to let me know.

Laura xxxxxxxx:laughxmas:

I miss the selection of gourmet food that shops like Tesco sell this time of year, and I miss going midnight shopping with my best mate when the shops opened round the clock (although that must have been hell for the people working there) - oh and I miss the school nativities, but mine are getting a bit old for those now anyway!

Just wanted to say, if there was an annual prize for someone that's been through the wringer in the year just passed, and come out on the other side of it with their heads held high, still smiling and positive, it would have to go to Laura. Good on yer, girl, so glad things worked out for you and yours in the end! You're an inspiration!

Diane

Ooooooooh I feel a song coming on:cutexmas:........

Ahem

Chestnuts roasting on an open fire,

Jack Frost nipping on your nose,

Yuletide carols being sung by a choir,

And folks dressed up like Eskimos. etc

:laughxmas::laughxmas:

In your dreams Pete, but also on christmas cards :laughxmas:

Now you need to learn some new Christmas songs like......

The north wind is tossing the leaves,

The red dust is over the town;

The sparrows are under the eaves,

And the grass in the paddock is brown ,

As we lift up our voices and sing

To the Christ child, the heavenly King.

:emoticon-signxmas:

In your dreams Pete, but also on christmas cards :laughxmas:

Now you need to learn some new Christmas songs like......

The north wind is tossing the leaves,

The red dust is over the town;

The sparrows are under the eaves,

And the grass in the paddock is brown ,

As we lift up our voices and sing

To the Christ child, the heavenly King.

Yeah, I love the Aussie version of Jingle Bells:

Jingle Bells, Jingle Bells, Jingle all the way

Christmas in Australia, on a scorching summers day

Jingle Bells, Jingle Bells, Christmas time is Beaut

Oh what fun, it is to ride, on a rusty holden yute!:winkxmas:

Have you gone up to Loberthall spely something like that ,next to gameracca, also spelt something like that, I'll blame it on the cheap wine, lol

They have there own christmas music.

Laura xxx

I miss xmas songs on the radio. You only hear them on xmas day here. What I wouldn't give for a copy of slades merry xmas and roy woods I wish it could be xmas every day!

Have you gone to LObethall, they havr their own Music chanel on the radio

Laura

I miss xmas songs on the radio. You only hear them on xmas day here. What I wouldn't give for a copy of slades merry xmas and roy woods I wish it could be xmas every day!

Guest sarahsmartiepants

I think its the christmas atmosphere, the buzz you get in the weeks leading up to it in the UK just doesnt seem to be here. Also the dark nights so you can put the tree lights on early and not 1/2 hr before bed! I dont miss the cold but it helps with that warm cosy christmas evening.

Other than that nothing, and I am far more christmassy now I am on number 3!

Guest The Angus Clan
I think its the christmas atmosphere, the buzz you get in the weeks leading up to it in the UK just doesnt seem to be here. Also the dark nights so you can put the tree lights on early and not 1/2 hr before bed! I dont miss the cold but it helps with that warm cosy christmas evening.

Other than that nothing, and I am far more christmassy now I am on number 3!

If it makes you feel any better , there is no real buzz in my local high street this year - everything seems really flat. Not just my opinion - all my friends have noticed the same.

As for dark nights , just cast your mind back to the dark mornings that go with them! I dropped my kids at school today and someone had clearly forgotten to put the lights on - it was SOOOO dark!

You're better off in the sunshine , even if Xmas is a little odd without cold and snow! Enjoy!

Happy Christmas!

Marcia :emoticon-signxmas:

Guest Rob and Clare
If it makes you feel any better , there is no real buzz in my local high street this year - everything seems really flat. Not just my opinion - all my friends have noticed the same.

As for dark nights , just cast your mind back to the dark mornings that go with them! I dropped my kids at school today and someone had clearly forgotten to put the lights on - it was SOOOO dark!

You're better off in the sunshine , even if Xmas is a little odd without cold and snow! Enjoy!

Happy Christmas!

Marcia :emoticon-signxmas:

I think this is where christmas here different, don't get me wrong it's certainly a great time of year, but we have all our eggs in one basket, not only is it christmas but it's also our summer holidays, so it becomes a shared holiday.

In the UK all there is at this time of year is Christmas, garden centres, shops, everything is geared up just for christmas, but we're also gearing up for a summer break, maybe some diy at home and sprucing up the garden, some companies have such a long christmas shutdown there is no holidays any other time of year. Come May through to Sept, the weather turns cooler but we don't have anything big to look forward to unless you have a winter break planned or your really into the Footy season, then it can become a very quiet time of year.

Guest sarahsmartiepants
I think this is where christmas here different, don't get me wrong it's certainly a great time of year, but we have all our eggs in one basket, not only is it christmas but it's also our summer holidays, so it becomes a shared holiday.

Yes I know what you mean, I think christmas gets in the way of summer!

i was just thinking about this this morning - my 5yr old son was telling me how on christmas day he was going to throw snowballs and i was trying to explain that it doesnt snow here and this is partly why we came to australia, he was getting upset at the prospect of no snow but that lasted all of 5 mins. i thought about it and i do miss the snow and the dark at night with all the lights, it gets you feeling that it is christmas and you dont get that feeling as much here. though after feeling a bit sad about that, my sadness quite like my sons lasted all of about 5 mins ! i do not miss going out in the miserable freezing cold dragging 2 kids with me telling them to hurry up as im freezing and ive just stood in a puddle and my feet are wet. remember when there is a dusting of snow it looks so pretty but when it melts it is dirty horrible slush so all in all i wouldnt swap australia for scotland. of course i miss my family that goes without saying but i cannot wait for christmas morning when my kids open their presents and they can spend all day outside riding their new bike and scooter ! fantastic.

ps i would love a christmas cd though (have had to do a lot of singing to the kids as have no cd!) i had a couple of them but they are in the container on their way over and i do miss listening to them - if anyone knows where i can buy a cheap one let me know

Yeah, I love the Aussie version of Jingle Bells:

Jingle Bells, Jingle Bells, Jingle all the way

Christmas in Australia, on a scorching summers day

Jingle Bells, Jingle Bells, Christmas time is Beaut

Oh what fun, it is to ride, on a rusty holden yute!:winkxmas:

BRILLIANT!

must teach the kids this one

thanks

sjs

ps i would love a christmas cd though (have had to do a lot of singing to the kids as have no cd!) i had a couple of them but they are in the container on their way over and i do miss listening to them - if anyone knows where i can buy a cheap one let me know

Sarah Jane,

We have a few. If you want to rip one or two onto your laptop then I can pop them round later as I will be going to the shops later when Tracey gets home

Pete

Sarah Jane,

We have a few. If you want to rip one or two onto your laptop then I can pop them round later as I will be going to the shops later when Tracey gets home

Pete

cheers pete

that would be fantastic !