Whats the rules and regs on getting married in adelaide?

tina&steve

Yep been together years and are taking the plung at long last;) but not sure on the rules on getting married here tried doing a search on the net but not come up with much can you gays and gals help?

Would like to have a small wedding on the beach is that allowed here.:policeman:

hope you can help

Cheers

Tina x

Yep been together years and are taking the plung at long last;) but not sure on the rules on getting married here tried doing a search on the net but not come up with much can you gays and gals help?

Would like to have a small wedding on the beach is that allowed here.:policeman:

hope you can help

Cheers

Tina x

Same rules as anywhere Tina, whats his is yours and whats yours is yours.

:P

So us men have nowt, :wideeyed:

Guest guest569

[can you gays and gals help?

hope you can help

Cheers

Tina x

Is it legal for gays to get married now adays ????:Randy-git:

hope you can help

Cheers

Tina x

Opps that was ment to say Guys and gals but gays can reply too:embarrassed:

Guest Kazzarazza

Hi Tina. Civil ceremonies outdoors have been allowed out here forever. We had ours back in 1990 at Veale Gardens, Adelaide and were well impressed with how easy it was to organise even back then - sure beat the prospect of a registry office wedding back home in Bolton, at that time!! You can do a google search for Marriage (or civil) celebrants in Adelaide. When you have chosen a location just check with the local council whether or not you need a permit - your celebrant may even organise this for you. Alternatively, if you don't mind me giving a plug on here, I have a friend who has been planning events, etc in Adelaide for years and now has her own business. Her name is Sue and she is also an ex-pom, coming out here just before us in the late eighties, with her parents. Her website is http://www.espweddingplanners.com/ I'm sure she could give you all the information you need. Good luck, Karen.

I used http://www.weddingsa.com.au/ to help me plan my wedding. I hadn't been in Adelaide long, didn't know anyone (there were no websites like this back in 2003) and decided on Easter Sunday for my big day.

We chose Old Government House in Belair National Park as the wedding venue (check it out, it's only open on Sundays) and our reception was next door at the Belair Park Golf Club.

We used a Civil Celebrant and he was excellent.

Best wishes for your big day!

Michelle

Hi Tina. Civil ceremonies outdoors have been allowed out here forever. We had ours back in 1990 at Veale Gardens, Adelaide and were well impressed with how easy it was to organise even back then - sure beat the prospect of a registry office wedding back home in Bolton, at that time!! You can do a google search for Marriage (or civil) celebrants in Adelaide. When you have chosen a location just check with the local council whether or not you need a permit - your celebrant may even organise this for you. Alternatively, if you don't mind me giving a plug on here, I have a friend who has been planning events, etc in Adelaide for years and now has her own business. Her name is Sue and she is also an ex-pom, coming out here just before us in the late eighties, with her parents. Her website is http://www.espweddingplanners.com/ I'm sure she could give you all the information you need. Good luck, Karen.

Thanks Karen will look up that site thanks x

i know you can married in botanical gardens in city which is very nice place indeed not sure where or who you speak too but one thing i want to know is.....am i invited?

alex your fello essex friend :)

Well was gunna ask you to be pageboy but cant make up my mind to have you dressed in a sailor suit or a pair of frilly velvet knickerbockers;)

We saw a wedding being conducted on Glenelg Beach one evening.

Fancy that

aparently you can get married on that boat in glenlg, the big old one is it the buffalo? :jiggy:

Fancy That too

I used http://www.weddingsa.com.au/ to help me plan my wedding. I hadn't been in Adelaide long, didn't know anyone (there were no websites like this back in 2003) and decided on Easter Sunday for my big day.

We chose Old Government House in Belair National Park as the wedding venue (check it out, it's only open on Sundays) and our reception was next door at the Belair Park Golf Club.

We used a Civil Celebrant and he was excellent.

Best wishes for your big day!

Michelle

Will look at that to thanks Michelle. I know one of the mums at the school is a celebrant so might ask her advice then

Thanks for all your help I'll send you all a slice of cake:notworthy:

You need to contact OCBA to register your intention to marry (Notice of Intention to Marry) which must be done at least 30 days prior to your wedding no matter where you have it, and get the appropriate paperwork sorted. http://www.ocba.sa.gov.au/ They are the government department where all BDM's are dealt with.

If you wish to marry on a beach you must contact the relevant local council first. They have rules about large gatherings and I know that Onkaparinga Council require an official application if over 30 people will be gathering for a ceremony on the beach. It's really a rubber stamp thing for them but they DO need to be informed. You'd probably need to have an alternative venue available too, just in case the weather is grotty.

Alternatively the Register Office itself in Grenfell Street has a lovely wedding room. We got married there two years ago next week, and it's just fine. It can hold up to about 60 people I think. When we got married there the total cost was around $180 - and that covers the NOIM, the ceremony and the official wedding certificate and another posh one for framing! You don't get to choose your celebrant at the Register Office, you just get whoever is on duty, but they are all lovely - I met a few during my dealings with them trying to sort out hubby's Prospective Spouse Visa. And of course they are only open Mon - Fri, so no weekend weddings there.

If you use a celebrant they can do a lot of the paperwork for you, but they can be very pricey if you are on a budget - depends what kind of wedding you want.

The first thing you should do is read through the wedding regs on the OCBA site.

Good luck

Sharon

Guest sarahsmartiepants
You need to contact OCBA to register your intention to marry (Notice of Intention to Marry) which must be done at least 30 days prior to your wedding no matter where you have it, and get the appropriate paperwork sorted. http://www.ocba.sa.gov.au/ They are the government department where all BDM's are dealt with.

If you wish to marry on a beach you must contact the relevant local council first. They have rules about large gatherings and I know that Onkaparinga Council require an official application if over 30 people will be gathering for a ceremony on the beach. It's really a rubber stamp thing for them but they DO need to be informed. You'd probably need to have an alternative venue available too, just in case the weather is grotty.

Alternatively the Register Office itself in Grenfell Street has a lovely wedding room. We got married there two years ago next week, and it's just fine. It can hold up to about 60 people I think. When we got married there the total cost was around $180 - and that covers the NOIM, the ceremony and the official wedding certificate and another posh one for framing! You don't get to choose your celebrant at the Register Office, you just get whoever is on duty, but they are all lovely - I met a few during my dealings with them trying to sort out hubby's Prospective Spouse Visa. And of course they are only open Mon - Fri, so no weekend weddings there.

If you use a celebrant they can do a lot of the paperwork for you, but they can be very pricey if you are on a budget - depends what kind of wedding you want.

The first thing you should do is read through the wedding regs on the OCBA site.

Good luck

Sharon

Hello Wizzy!:wubclub:

Good luck

Sharon

Thanks Sharon lots of info on there x

• 3 weeks later...

Here's a good one for you, a guy replying to this thread... :)

Anyway, been through that not too long ago. Don't want to be off topic, but we used the weddings SA forum (www.weddingsa.com/forums) for a lot of research.

My personal favourites that we discovered by ourselves were Heidelberg cakes (Stepney), Kerry Willard in the Stamford Plaza for our wedding reception (I think she's a Londoner too, a lovely girl and did a GREAT job, nothing was too much trouble for her or the other staff - Well Done Kerry !) and Shay van Weezep as our celebrant. The drivers from Adelaide Impressions were also VERY professional - full marks.

These people, esp. Kerry made it what it was - a great day.