Do I need to bring hard copies of a job reference?

Guest Avastar

Guest Avastar

I think I read somewhere saying bring hard copies of job references... do i need them?

I was assuming any prospective employer would just contact my referees and ask them for a reference as and when it was needed?

Is that how it works in adelaide?

I'm hoping to work in a pretty general area - marketing/events - if that makes any difference!

Guest ansabras

hi, as I am new to this site and myself am looking to go over soon, I will be interested in what feed back you get. I also just assumed in this electronic age they would just contact your employer.

good luck.

Andy

Guest Niki & Nige

Hi bring your hard copies, but make resume look more local than pom, i found when i depommed my cv, I had more job interviews, they are really red tape mad here as well.

Guest BAZnDAF
Hi bring your hard copies, but make resume look more local than pom, i found when i depommed my cv, I had more job interviews, they are really red tape mad here as well.

How do you de-POM your resume?

Guest Niki & Nige

de pom find out your what all related skills qualifactions are and use them instead of british, example LGV class 1 in uk is MC here, leave out as much british sounding things you can,

they think poms will drift from job to job ( and most do ) looking for better pay,

South Australia pay is not as good as the rest of Australia,

Marketing and events jobs can be hard to get in, so the better your resume looks and the more written references you have, the better.

At them moment I am bringing customer testaments, employer references, personal testaments, award certificates and a 10 page brag file of recent achievements, many of which are congratulatory emails, all on hard copy.

I work in sales - anything else I should bring?

Pies

Guest Libby1971

I think it is worth while remembering that your certificates are going to say that you have a UK qualification and this (xxxxx) is what it is called...so calling it something else on your resume is sort of defeating. When they try to match the docs up, they can't. I had a support statement which I sent out along with the resume in which the Aussie appropriate terms were used but my resume has not changed.

Maybe it is industry dependent...what would be the point of trying to claim I had an Aussie qualification when I don't?

As for docs to go with it, scan everything. Have a copy on disc, your originals, plus bring some certified copies or get them done for free at the City Council offices, and bring everything you can think of. Bring it over in your hand luggage if possible. We had all the certificates in a folder in there but all the support folders like photos etc were in the suitcase I think. I wanted them as soon as possible.