Things Adelaide Has Learnt From The Heat Wave 2009:

Guest Rob and Clare

Guest Rob and Clare

What a delightful reminder as we swelter here in Adelaide SA with 6 days in a row of higher than 40° C including our near record of 45.6° C degrees!

§ The best parking space is determined by shade instead of distance.

§ Hot water comes out of both taps.

§ You learn that a seat belt buckle makes a pretty good branding iron.

§ The temperature drops below 32c and you feel a little chilly.

§ You discover that in February it only takes two fingers to steer your car.

§ You discover that you can get sunburnt through your car window.

§ You develop a fear of metal car door handles.

§ You break a sweat the instant you step outside at 7:00am.

§ Your biggest bicycle wreck fear is, "What if I get knocked out and end up lying on the pavement and get cooked to death?"

§ You realise that asphalt has a liquid state.

§ Farmers are feeding their chickens crushed ice to prevent them from laying hard-boiled eggs.

§ The trees are whistling for the dogs.

§ While walking back barefoot to your car from apex park, you do a tightrope act on the white lines in the carpark.

§ You catch a cold from having the aircon full blast while you sleep during the night.

§ You learn that Centro plaza isn't a shopping centre it's a temple to worship air-conditioning.

§ Sticking your head into the freezer and taking deep breaths is perfectly normal behaviour.

§ A cup full of ice is considered a great snack.

§ An electricity black out is life threatening because your aircon and your fans no longer work and you are seriously going to be cooked!!

§ You no longer sit on a couch, why would you when you can settle down on the cooling tiles instead.

§ You need a stubby holder to keep the beer cold, not your hands warm

§ No one cares if you walk around with no shoes on.

§ You keep everthing in the fridge, including potatoes and bread etc....

§ people have enough left over beercans to make boats out of and have a whole regatta with tin can boats like Darwin...

§ The effort of toweling off after a shower means you need another one right away

§ standing naked under a ceiling fan is an acceptable way to pass time.

§ You wait till it starts raining to go for a run!

Guest Jamie&Carrie

What a delightful reminder as we swelter here in Adelaide SA with 6 days in a row of higher than 40° C including our near record of 45.6° C degrees!

§ The best parking space is determined by shade instead of distance.

§ Hot water comes out of both taps.

§ You learn that a seat belt buckle makes a pretty good branding iron.

§ The temperature drops below 32c and you feel a little chilly.

§ You discover that in February it only takes two fingers to steer your car.

§ You discover that you can get sunburnt through your car window.

§ You develop a fear of metal car door handles.

§ You break a sweat the instant you step outside at 7:00am.

§ Your biggest bicycle wreck fear is, "What if I get knocked out and end up lying on the pavement and get cooked to death?"

§ You realise that asphalt has a liquid state.

§ Farmers are feeding their chickens crushed ice to prevent them from laying hard-boiled eggs.

§ The trees are whistling for the dogs.

§ While walking back barefoot to your car from apex park, you do a tightrope act on the white lines in the carpark.

§ You catch a cold from having the aircon full blast while you sleep during the night.

§ You learn that Centro plaza isn't a shopping centre it's a temple to worship air-conditioning.

§ Sticking your head into the freezer and taking deep breaths is perfectly normal behaviour.

§ A cup full of ice is considered a great snack.

§ An electricity black out is life threatening because your aircon and your fans no longer work and you are seriously going to be cooked!!

§ You no longer sit on a couch, why would you when you can settle down on the cooling tiles instead.

§ You need a stubby holder to keep the beer cold, not your hands warm

§ No one cares if you walk around with no shoes on.

§ You keep everthing in the fridge, including potatoes and bread etc....

§ people have enough left over beercans to make boats out of and have a whole regatta with tin can boats like Darwin...

§ The effort of toweling off after a shower means you need another one right away

§ standing naked under a ceiling fan is an acceptable way to pass time.

§ You wait till it starts raining to go for a run!

That was a friggin ace post R&C. :notworthy:

Laughing my arse off. So true true.

I was building furniture in our new unit yesterday in the nude (no air con---yet)....yes cos of the heat.

I don't have any scandanavian heritage. :Randy-git:

Guest Martin and Val

§Farmers are feeding their chickens crushed ice to prevent them from laying hard-boiled eggs.

§The trees are whistling for the dogs.

Great read Rob, I wondered why the dog kept running off and i must go and check the eggs!:biglaugh::biglaugh:

Martin

Great post and all so true. I have discovered that ;

Drinking alcohol and sunbathing on the beach is not a good combination in 40 degree heat!

Decorating your sons bedroom in 40 degree heat is sheer madness.

Wearing an underwired bra in 40 degree heat is not pleasant - thought you might like that one Tyke!:biglaugh:

Guest Guest75
Great post and all so true. I have discovered that ;

Drinking alcohol and sunbathing on the beach is not a good combination in 40 degree heat!

Decorating your sons bedroom in 40 degree heat is sheer madness.

Wearing an underwired bra in 40 degree heat is not pleasant - thought you might like that one Tyke!:biglaugh:

Oh - thanks!!

Good to know I' not the only one to have trouble with underwired bras!!!;)

One more thing I've learnt - keep your eggs in the fridge when the air con's not working - otherwise when you break one into a frying pan it's a funny black colour and smells horrrrrrendous!!!

Sooo true about the steering wheel too - I even considered buying one of those lovely furry steering wheel covers (in pink, of course - and maybe a couple of hanging dice to match... you can take the girl out of Essex......!!)

Guest Snape Family

Absolutely brilliant

although I am currently on the Isle of Man and we need hot water bottles at night.

I remember when we were in Adelaide last Feb/March during the exceptional heat wave, going to bed with a frozen water bottle to try to cool down and waking in the middle of the night when they had warmed up!!!

Tracey