Nanny State!So annoyed.

sduffy

Hi GUys,just wandered if anyonelse has had a similar problem.

Daughter was off ill last Friday and yesterday due to really bad asthma and terrible allergy probs.Recent high pollen levels havent helped.

Her high school stipulates that if a pupil is off for two days or more,must have a medical certificate from a doctor.

We saw a new dr at our practice yesterday who confirmed that her asthma wasnt good and that she has a sinus infection.She upped her asthma inhalers and gave her a 7 day course of penicillin.I said in view of all this and the fact that she has only recently been discharged by Flinders Hospitalfor immune deficiency problems,anaemia etc i felt she could do with a couple of further days off school.Dr said no she can go back.

She has been up most of the night unable to sleep through coughing and congestion and looks like a ghost and the guilt i feel at sending her to school when i know she isnt fit to do so is awful.

I strongly disagree that a dr who saw her for the first time for 10 mins yesterday should dictate what is best for my daughter.

Feel like the state here has too much say.

I dont want her to be off unnecessarily as with the blooming fees we are paying wouldnt want that anyway,but when i feel that my daughters health is being compromised that is a different story.

Have other people encountered this.

Sue

No never! If my child is off school then I just have to ring and say why. The only thing I had to do was to advise in writing that my daughter would be having an extended abscence and not returning at the start of the school year but a week n a 1/2 later due to being on holiday overseas. My daughter is at a private school, but even when my kids attended a state primary no one ever had to produce a medical cert unless off for weeks on end maybe. Private schools do set their own rules though and some state schools that have had probs with attendance in the past may be trying to address issues in a stricter way.

Ring the school and state that your daughter is not going to be at school. Go and see another doctor if necessary. There is no point your daughter going to school if she looks and feels bad. She'd probably end up being sent home anyway if she looks that bad because schools don't like being responsible for sick children.

Guest Django
Her high school stipulates that if a pupil is off for two days or more,must have a medical certificate from a doctor.

Or what????

Sounds bizarre to me. Kids needing a doc's cert to prove they are sick.

Pete

Guest mysnix

My son was off from high school last week for 2 days and they operate an absentee text line. As far as I am aware that is all that is required, he was back yesterday and not been asked for anything. Hope not because he didn't see a doctor.

I think that is a bit over the top myself, have you spoken to the school. If it is necessary I would see a different doctor - you know your daughter best Sue! Hope she is feeling better soon x

edit - just read through my school policies :-

Short term absences - 1 or 2 days

Caregivers are asked to provide a written diary note, detailing the reason for absence. on the day of return to school.

Long term absences - 3 or more days

Parent/caregivers are asked to contact the home group teacher before the absence, if possible, or on the third day at the latest to explain the absence. In addition, a written diary note, stating the reason for the absence needs to be provided on the day of return to school. If the reason is sickness, caregivers are expected to provide a Doctor's Certificate (for 3 days or more).

Very long term absences

Occasionally requests are made by parent/caregivers for students to be absent for very long periods, e.g. to accompany parent/caregivers on an overseas trip. Parent/caregivers are asked to discuss with the Year Level Co-ordinator / Deputy Principal, the implications of long term absences from the school, before firm plans are made. Approval needs to be sought from the Principal. When students are unavoidably absent for a long period of time, where possible the school will provide details of work for students to go on with, if requested to do so.

So yes I would need a note for over 3 days! There you go learn a new thing every day :-)

I would see another doctor.