English Dictionary

Guest Chelseadownunder

Guest Chelseadownunder

When you arrive be ready for no one to understand/look at you strangly after the following words......

Train Ticket

Sweets

Flip Flops (Always gets a laugh)

Cheers

Weres that to (Bristolian)

Allright mate has been changed to G`Day

The number Four (Try saying four to someone) Especially good if your from Leeds.

If your Deborah your now Dib

If your Harry your now Hairy

Feel free to add to the list

Scott SA Financial Planner (Super, Life cover....)

When you order chips be prepared for them to ask you if you'd like hot chips or cold chips (aka crisps)...... don't ask someone which team they're rooting for......if you arrange to meet someone at "half one" they might think you mean 12:30 (German influence I think)....and if you want a decent cup of tea you have to ask for 'white tea' or they don't give you any milk.....

Guest Martin and Val

A Great Post this one, I've been compiling these for a while now and send them over to relations every now and again for a laugh.

Sorry if any of the have already been used:

Ute - Utility vehicle

Wagon – 4 wheel drive

Esky - Cool Box

Trunk -Boot of a car

Kelpie - Australian breed of dog traditionally used to herd sheep.

Singlet - undershirt.

Swaggie - short for swagman a drifter (person without a permanent place to live) who carried his swag (pack) as he travelled the country on foot looking for work. He was a common sight during the depression of the 1890's and 1930's. And maybe 2009, if you see me say G'day!:biglaugh:

Family Snap - take a picture of the family with a camera

Shoot through - leave quickly.

Rock up – just turn up somewhere

Thongs - Flip Flops (If you go into a shop and ask for Flip Flops you are likely to be given Sun Screen “Slip Slap Slop”)

SLIP-SLAP-SLOP-SEEK and SLIDE

(Slip on a shirt, Slap on a hat, Slop on Sun Screen, Seek shade and Slide on Sunnies)

Sun Screen– Sun cream (Generally factor 30 is used as the norm)

A “uey” - U Turn

Glad Wrap - Cling Film

Umbrella - Garden Parasol is not heard of

Stubby – Bottle of beer (A pint isn’t really as big as a pint in most places and a Schooner is a ½ pint)

Garmy Bags - Black bin bags

Budgie Smugglers - Speedo Swimming trunks

A Buck - A Dollar

A Globe - A light bulb

Patty - Beef burger

Snags – Sausages

Man Hole – Loft Hatch

Guest Guest75
When you arrive be ready for no one to understand/look at you strangly after the following words......

Train Ticket

Sweets

Flip Flops (Always gets a laugh)

Cheers

Weres that to (Bristolian)

Allright mate has been changed to G`Day

The number Four (Try saying four to someone) Especially good if your from Leeds.

If your Deborah your now Dib

If your Harry your now Hairy

Feel free to add to the list

Scott SA Financial Planner (Super, Life cover....)

The "Four bit " strikes a chord coming from Leeds:arghh:

Guest alan smallman

Like the 'budgie smugglers'. Can visualise it right now!! Nothing to do with 'duck smuggling' tho? (trumping). Made me smile. Cheers

Alan

Guest massive

Here's some more

Ice block (lolly ice )

Lollies (any kind of sweets )

Egg pant (aubergene)

Zerkinie? (corchette)

Batherrs (swim shorts )

slppery dip (slide)

Better than this in work the other day i left a note for the next shift the director asked to see it so i said don't panic its nothing negaitve she replied no its ok i am just checking your Australian English to see if its correct !!!!!

What's train ticket in Australian then? :nah:

I asked my husband (Australian, Adelaide born and bred) what he would call a train ticket. He looked at me bewildered and said 'I'd call it a train ticket'. :biglaugh:

However he probably hasn't used public transport in Adelaide for 20 years !! Maybe they mean multiptrip /singletrip / daytrip which are types of ticket.

Courgette is Zucchini (Italian)

Don't know what an egg pant is ??? ;)

Having lived with an Australian for nearly 16 years I've lost touch what is English English and what is Australian English. I don't really notice the difference anymore. Our kids are a bit bilingual too, so they probably get some funny looks at school.

Guest Martin and Val

We found this out as soon as we got here as we were looking for peppers and asked the assisted to be told "Over there" they were real peppers you know the very hot red ones!!! We didn't want them.

Martin

Guest Guest75
where do you get the train to then Tyke?:biglaugh:

Don't forget Bogan and Feral and the difference between them. My daughters spent about an hour trying to find English equivilent for their aunt.

Last time I got a train was from Melbourne - got a cheapie on the Overlander back to Adelaide for $29 - spent all the savings and more in the bar.Don't remember much of the journey:goofy:

Guest Django

We had to cover the kids school books and got a strange look asking for sticky backed plastic :biglaugh: We were shown where the contact was. :rolleyes:

And I bet you won't find anything called felt tipped pens here. :nah: Texters no probs though.:biglaugh:

Guest stufi1997

ockah-a bit coarse, rough, unsophisticated

i'm over......- I'm not dealing with that

cell-mobile

there are sooo many, but see when you try to remember!!! I had to get used to repeating myself, it's become habit now, think i might develop a stutter.....

Everything I tell my aussie neighbour, I get "Far Out" in response.

According to her, my entire life is......"Far Out".

(I wonder if she's meaning my stomach, as its pretty "Far Out" right now!:biglaugh: Only 20 more looooong weeks to go!)

J x;)

Everything I tell my aussie neighbour, I get "Far Out" in response.

According to her, my entire life is......"Far Out".

(I wonder if she's meaning my stomach, as its pretty "Far Out" right now!:biglaugh: Only 20 more looooong weeks to go!)

J x;)

rofl, theres a few more but they be rude so wont say, lets just say some are highly annoying...