Crows Or Power?

Guest alan smallman

Guest alan smallman

Ok. Here's one for you. Does this depend on where you live or facilities the club can provide etc for fans? I am hoping to go to a game or two when I get there. What made poms who had no previous experience support a particular team. Is it really just about location?

Cheers

Al

Ok. Here's one for you. Does this depend on where you live or facilities the club can provide etc for fans? I am hoping to go to a game or two when I get there. What made poms who had no previous experience support a particular team. Is it really just about location?

Cheers

Al

The Power for me nowt to do with where i live who who i am just the Power :)...alot of poms who come over hate the game...i quite enjoy it !!!!

Guest Kazzarazza

Cheers

Al

Good question. Definitely the Crows. Nothing to do with location - I work and live in and around the Port. I think the word to use is "class", lol. When you've been here a while you'll know what I mean! Seriously though, Port (like Collingwood in Melbourne) are the team you either love or hate - there's no in bewtween.

Good question. Definitely the Crows. Nothing to do with location - I work and live in and around the Port. I think the word to use is "class", lol. When you've been here a while you'll know what I mean! Seriously though, Port (like Collingwood in Melbourne) are the team you either love or hate - there's no in bewtween.

I will have 5 bux that power finish higher than Crows this year @ Kazza.....lol;)

Guest Kazzarazza
Woohoo made it to feral in less than a year....:jimlad:

Less than a year - it's not too late to change then. Just put your choice down to inexperience, ha, ha.

Power - power all the way.

Always luved an underdog.

Crows are way too smarmy for my liking!

Nick you are a lady after my own heart!

We came over for our reccie in 2007 and Power v Crows showdown was being shown on the tv, we went for the underdogs.

I have a lot of family over here and they are split in their support, so it makes for a good day when they are playing each other.

Go POWER!!!!

Guest sarahsmartiepants
Power - power all the way.

Always luved an underdog.

Crows are way too smarmy for my liking!

I am with you Nick, except I dont go in for it in a big way.

Went to AAMi once and it was a great atmosphere.

When I got here 3 yrs back all you got on the news was Mark Riccuto this that and the other................ He got so much on my nerves I thought I would choose Power if I had to! (plus I heard a very juicy bit of gossip about him which put me off too)

I know Power fans who are not feral but have seen some that are! Same goes with the Crows.

Either team though they have good legs and short shorts so its all good!:biglaugh:

Guest Martin and Val

We haven't seen a game yet and its a very hard decision. Our next door neigbour has a huge flag pole and sitting on the top is not the Australian Flag but The Port Power Flag. Our Landlord plays for the Crows! So what should we do, get on with the neighbour or the landlord?

It's got to be the Crows hasn't it?

Martin

Has to be the Power - just to annoy my husband who is a Crows fan!! Plus I've even held the actual Cup that Port won when they were AFL champions in 2004!!

However many years ago we managed to get tickets to a Reception dinner held at Lords Cricket Ground when the Crows were over in London for an exhibition match at the Oval. We sat on a table with Nathan Bassett and I sat next to the man who runs on the pitch with wet sponges!! Also we know one of the Crows players parents so maybe I should support the Crows.

I've always really enjoyed the game and last year we went to Port Power V Geelong, my son sat with his cousin in the Outer Army section (total nutter Power fans) and had a fantastic time. The atmosphere at matches is very family friendly, if you can't get tickets to an AFL game then go along to an SANFL one. Wrap up warm, get a pie and soak up some true Aussie culture!!

Both AFL teams play their home matches at the AAMI stadium in West Lakes, which isn't far from Port Adelaide, so it's not particularly based on where you live as to who you support. Port Adelaide football club has been going since 1870, whereas the Crows were only formed in 1991, as a South Australian team to play in the AFL (which is why they wear the state colours). Port Adelaide didn't join the AFL until 1997 when they formed Port Power. They couldn't wear their traditional black and white as Collingwood already had black and white striped shirts. If you want to support a more local team then pick your nearest SANFL club.

Power to the People!!!

If you ask any long time supporters they'll tell you that Port were the original team that existed before the VFL became the AFL. The Crows were a team put together from various other SANFL teams, so apparently still don't count in traditionalists minds as a 'real' team! If you want a really good atmosphere, try going along to the SANFL final here - "Come on you Dogs!"

I didn't think much of Mark Riccuito when I heard him speak at a lunch I went to - but I guess he wasn't captain because of his brains! Friend of ours picked him up off the side of the road last week when he was knocked off his push bike and cut his head.

I must admit though that I'll support any Adelaide team when they're playing a Melbourne or West Coast team, but if it's a showdown, I tend to go for Port as that's where I work and I think there's a couple of Indigenous players in the team (or there used to be - not sure who's in the team this year!) so I think it's more of a true mix of the country's races!

The good thing about all of it is, that you have not got the nastiness associated with going to football games back home(with rivalry). It's more a friendly banter between the fans. Also agree that if you cant get along to AAMI stadium, get yourself down to a SANFL games. We try to get along to see the Glenelg Tigers play.

Guest LordLucan

Cheers

Al

Well, it was easy for me - the first team from SA to join the national competition was The Crows, so they were my team from the word go. Especially when they won the competition 2 years in a row! The Power came later, and because it is aligned with the local league's Port Adelaide team, who have been really dominant for many years until recently, many people hate them. However, not having been raised amongst such parochialism, I like to see both teams doing well, though when they play each other - well, it's The Crows for me!

There is a notion that Port Power are for the blue collar workers, and The Crows are often called the Chardonnay set! However, given that 2 senior academics in my department at work are fervent Port supporters, the theory doesn't quite hold up.

As The Power are struggling financially and have a too small member base, I recommend that every newcomer aligns themselves with them, so we can continue to have 2 powerful SA teams to stick it to the hated Vics!

LL

I agree with Anne...the games are very family friendly - andf cheap too if you buy a family ticket!

We have always gone for the Crows and have been to many home games -and caught one away- and have never seen anything but fervent pride from the Crows fans. There's little to beat the feeling when every one is barracking for the team, or chanting' Adelaide' etc.

The only bit of unpleasantness we've encountered was at a West Coast/ Port game a couple of years ago. The kids had gone to cheer as Westies came out and there were a few feral Port supporters who had hung round just to shout nasty/rude comments. They were drunk and nasty but soon sent on their way by the dads! I'm sure Sarah is right and there may even be some people that go for Crows who are a bit feral? :swoon:That said, I've met a fair few Crows fans who will not go to a Showdown if it's a Port game. We haven't found any particular problem, but it's certainly a lot easier to get tickets if it's a Port rather than Crows hosted Showdown!

And finally....Is it true that the Port fans are contributing all the money they get from the Tooth Fairy to ensure that Port can still afford to play at Aami?

Oh and....What do you call two Port supporters in white trakkie bottoms? A wedding!

Or...Why did Cinderella run away from the ball? Because she played for Port Adelaide!

And finally....who proudly paraded a banner in 2008 with a cunning (if obvious!) attempted cover-up of the word "Whose" "when they meant to write "Who's"? Oh, guessed it already? Yep!PORT's!

:biglaugh:LC

PS. Mind you, in fairness Port's Showbags look far nicer than Crows...but I guess you then have the embarrassment of carrying it round!

Yeah Yeah, well we'll see this year!! Oh thats if your team is still playing and not bankrupt by then!!! Lol (which i certainly hope they are NOT!)

i got to admit it is a very worrying siuation to be in.:swoon:

Hey we should set up tipster thread on here anyone fancy it....dnt know how it would work tho.

Maybe just do it nice and easy and just have it where you have to predict the winner of each game.

Guest Fat Boy Fat

“Power” coach Mark Williams gets wind of a potential new young recruit who lives in Iraq. Williams and the “Power” recruiting manager jump on a plane to war-torn Baghdad and track the young boy down.

They risk life and limb dodging bombs, bullets and grenades but finally find him and convince him to come to Australia.

The boy does a full pre-season, plays all the practice matches and gets picked on the bench in the seniors for the first game of the year.

Ten minutes into the first quarter, Chad Cornes goes down with a severe knee injury. Mark Williams turns to the boy and says, “This is it son, go to centre half-forward and show us what you can do.”

The boy proceeds to play the greatest debut game in AFL history. He kicks nine goals, takes mark of the year and kicks the winning goal after the siren from outside 50.

The “Power” players chair him off the ground and give him three cheers back in the rooms. Mark Williams tells the team what the boy from Iraq has been through and that he is a model lesson for all.

Mark Williams then pulls the boy aside and says,

“Son, go into my office, ring your mother and tell her what you did today.”

“So he heads off to the office and dials. “Mum,” he says, “Guess what I did today?”

“I don't care what you did today,” his mother replies. “I tell you what happened here today. Your Dad was stabbed and robbed, our house torched, our car blown up, and your brother has been abducted.” “Gee,” says the boy, “I feel a bit responsible for what happened.” The Mother replies, “So you should be. If it wasn't for you we would never have moved to Port Adelaide.“