then there was one

Guest dotty

Guest dotty

Hi eveyone...or anyone!!

I am in need of some positive comments, common sense or maybe both!

Several months ago we were all patiently waiting for the visa so we could set off for our fab. new life down under. Then partner and I split up......then there was two, more difficult but still achievable . Now he's staying here to 'finish his A levels'.

Which I admit, makes a lot of sense. But what do I do now?

Does it sound totally (yes it does !) crazy to leave everything behind and come out there alone?

It's gone from being a potentially difficult move to almost impossible.

your thoughts please?

Anyone else out there mad enough to encourage me to go it alone?;)

Dotty

Guest Django

You gotta do what you gotta do. Its a new start having broken up with someone. Where better to 'get away from it all' than the other side of the world? Least you won't get any hassle from mates of both, etc.;) As for the A level student. Think of it as you going ahead to set up a home for the both of you. The question you've got to answer is will you regret not going? Think of why you want to go. Oh and you won't be on your own. There's a forum of your mates on here all heading towards Adelaide.;):D

Pete

Guest ali@51

I think a new start is a very good idea. However you will be a long way from home and all your support networks. I think you have to take a long hard look at your self and work out whether you think you are strong enough to cope with the hard times on your own. Because the one thing you will be taking with you is yourself. New friends are great but except in rare circumstances they dont know you as well as friends and family who have been there through thick and thin for a long time. If you are sure this is the best thing for you and are really sure that both you and your son can cope alone then go for it and good luck but I think it is a decision that has to be based on facts that only you know.

Good luck with your decision

sig.jsp?pc=ZSzeb112&pp=ZNxuk101LWGB

Guest dotty

thanks everyone!

yeah, no worries about bumping into the ex!!!

I know it's going to be tough but I still feel it's something I have to do.

I think it was a bit of a shock to realise I'll be going it alone. Sometimes I wonder if fate (or is that DIMA?)is trying to tell me something!!;)

on the positve side, I won't have to worry about renting a place, I can arrive with a suitcase and find a room to rent in someone elses house and who knows...with the kids taken good care of by their Dad here in Uk I may even have some money for myself for the first time in 20 years!!!

It's a long way to stetch those apron strings .....time to let them go I think!

Now...off to find friends:D

thanks again Dotty.

Guest stephb

hi dotty,

you are not entirely alone! 3 of us on here (so far) from the uk are also moving solo... im in a slightly different situation as dont have children/ex partner, but otherwise in a similar position. i am feeling very excited about making the move alone. you sound like youre finding the positives of making that choice which is great. personally i really like the fact that this move is just about me, i can do it the way i want, without worrying how anyone is coping with the adjustment. it is hard to anticipate how it will feel without the usual support network about, but the amazing thing is that it can give you chance to realise just how well you can cope on your own. potentially really rewarding!

anyway, us other folks going on our own are thinking of meeting up in london sometime, so if youd be up for joining us pm me and i'll keep you posted! either way, all the best :D steph

Guest sarah

Hi Dotty, i think you will have the time of your life! Wow what a country to explore on your own.... I reckon tis one of the best in the world.....spesh for singletons, you go for it girl & the rest/best will follow...:)

hI Dotty,

well i thought i was reading my life, i thing we are very strong doing this life change on our own, so good on you for making the move it will be fantastic so chin up mayb we can have a singles club in oz lol.

Ice

Guest emmylou

Hi Dotty

Well I'm another of one of those singles going it alone, and yes it is hard but just think of the opportunites! As Steph said we are trying to organise a get together so it would be great to see you (and Ice and anyone else!) I know that feeling of 'i've just got to do this' and to be honest I don't think it goes away.

Take care

Emma

Guest dotty

Hi Ice/Emmylou

Thanks for the support, I am feeling much more positive now.

I have spoken to my son and I know he will be well looked after by his Dad, so time to let him go I think.

At least I know I'm not the only crazy woman moving to the other side of the world alone!!

What's your story Ice? When are you hoping to go?

Emmylou, Thanks, I'm going to PM Steph about the London meet.

the whole process has been a nightmare I just think the end's in sight and the final lot of paperwork's gone off and then something else happens ( like migration agent mis filing application in wrong sub-catagory and having to apply again..only to find state sponsorship has run out and having to apply again...etc:mad: )

It's just 2 years of still not knowing if I'm going that gets me!

Keep in touch

Dotty

hi Dotty,

my story in short, i split from my ex 5yrs ago,after 24yrs, but always worked shifts so our son spent lots of time with him, in the last 3yr ive dun lots of travelin, Africa, Canada, oz twice, sold 2 houses to do it. so not worked since last Aug its been fantastic but now oz is home thats what i want, my son is 16 in sept and as u no they can make there own mind up & its not always wot we want,im waiting for my 119 visa to come so hope by xmas im in oz for gud, im gettin nervous doing it alone,but ive wanted it for so long nothing will stop me, my son will join me oneday i no he will,im trying to think of gud things he will enjoy when he comes over & NOT the things i will miss about him over ere, ivejust got a web came thing so i can talk to him on ere,if i figure it out that is lol. wel i did say in short so thats about it. its funny yr life n mine cos my nik name is Dotty too...... pm me anytime. keep positive cos i no how yr feeling.

Ice x

Guest dotty

Hey stop spoiling my drama!

I'm happily soaking up compliments about how brave I am - leaving everyone and moving to the other side of the world alone etc. etc.

And there's you lot making it sound like it's going to be fun, a whole group of us on our own....actually enjoying it!!!:D

I think I might squash my posh frock in my suitcase when I move- you never know, might get a social life!:P

feeling more optimistic now

Dotty

Guest Twirly

Wow how inspirational are all of you!

As we plan to leave on the 17th of July it is great to know that there is a suportive and powerful community out there.

My only advice is do what you think and feel is right!

"come to edge" he said

"Come to the edge"

"we are afraid" they said

"Come to the edge"

They came, he pushed and they flew!!!!

Fly

Twirly and Podi

See you on the other side buddies!

Sarah