Fishing

coolerking

Hi, still in the UK but a few question for the fishing fraternity. I used to do a bit of course fishing but fancy doing some sea fishing but essentially, I want to eat my catch. So, the question is where is that a viable option, I probably will not have a boat for a few years. I am prepared to put time into learning techniques and rigs etc and would like to take my elder boys along as well.

Any advice would be great.

Cooler

Guest cornish Busdriver

G'day Cooler.

Ive been here since November and the fishing has been great.

I mainly fish at Noarlunger Jetty or off Christies Beach, there some bloody good tackle shops here as well.

Still havnt managed to land the bloody Stingray thats bugs the hell out of me when i go night fishing, nevermind though i get my boat next year so i can go after some realy big snapper.

Guest Guest75

Hiya Coolerking

Bring all ya stuff - most fishos here seem to regret not bringing it.

Some good course fishing - but Carp fishing is laughed at here - they are a pest fish.

I'll not go on and bore you too much - but have a look at the local fishing forum,great bunch of guys,very helpful........

http://www.strikehook.com/

:D

Guest motlyman
G'day Cooler.

Ive been here since November and the fishing has been great.

I mainly fish at Noarlunger Jetty or off Christies Beach, there some bloody good tackle shops here as well.

Still havnt managed to land the bloody Stingray thats bugs the hell out of me when i go night fishing, nevermind though i get my boat next year so i can go after some realy big snapper.

Hi,

Dont think you want to be landing one of them stingrays:unsure:

I've heard some fasinating stories about their tails whipping up to get you with their barbs.

We were down Marino a while back when hundreds of them came in to the rocks.

Some were about 2 metres wide. It was a truly awesome sight but killed the fishing off:arghh:

Apparently if you get one just cut the line as close to the hook as you dare. The hooks disolve in 4 days.

In reply to the original post yep bring all you can but make sure its cleaned for customs.

I gave up on course fishing as most of the lakes seem to have Turtles in them nicking ya bait.

And as tyke says the Carp are regarded as pests and it is ilegal to return them alive.

Plenty of edible sea fish though.

Heres a little Fiddler ray (Harmless)

Colin

Guest Guest75
Hi,

Dont think you want to be landing one of them stingrays:unsure:

I've heard some fasinating stories about their tails whipping up to get you with their barbs.

We were down Marino a while back when hundreds of them came in to the rocks.

Some were about 2 metres wide. It was a truly awesome sight but killed the fishing off:arghh:

Apparently if you get one just cut the line as close to the hook as you dare. The hooks disolve in 4 days.

In reply to the original post yep bring all you can but make sure its cleaned for customs.

I gave up on course fishing as most of the lakes seem to have Turtles in them nicking ya bait.

And as tyke says the Carp are regarded as pests and it is ilegal to return them alive.

Plenty of edible sea fish though.

Heres a little Fiddler ray (Harmless)

Colin

Bl@@dy Fiddlers!!!

Useless things they are!

Had a Port Jackson Shark yet Colin? - They are in the same class.

Had a Snapper ( under legal ) and a thumping great Smokehouse Cod on a double hookup near the Onk Mouth today - 200m South of the mouth..

Plenty of big Tommies there and around 1k South.

Caught a good few today,going to have a try at smoking them tomorrow.

I'll be the Kipper King yet!!:biglaugh:

Hiya Coolerking

Bring all ya stuff - most fishos here seem to regret not bringing it.

Some good course fishing - but Carp fishing is laughed at here - they are a pest fish.

I'll not go on and bore you too much - but have a look at the local fishing forum,great bunch of guys,very helpful........

http://www.strikehook.com/

:D

Thanks Tyke, I'll have a look at that.

Cooler

Guest Guest75
Thanks Tyke, I'll have a look at that.

Cooler

Enjoy...................:)

Lots of edible fish here.Just depends on your tastes.

King George Whiting are highly regarded here - little bit "fishy" for me.

Gar Fish are excellent eating but blooming fiddly to bone and fillet,my old Aussie mate loves doing this though - he gets to come out fishing,I get to learn :notworthy:

Flathead re excellent in my book - hard to actually target though,normally caught by accident.

The best has to be Snapper though ,big fish up to 30lbs with bags of big ,flaky meat.

My PB is 20lbs so far - hoping to top that soon.

Had a fair haul the other day with another Aussie buddy and a poster on here - but he can ell the tale ;) Grea to see he look o glee and hear the colourful/expressive language on his first Snapper hookup!