Interesting Reading in the Advertiser!!

Anne B

Don't really want to start off a debate, but we had visitors over from Adelaide last weekend, and they brought with them the mandatory copies of the Advertiser and several bars of Cherry Ripes!

The Advertiser is always a good read, it's only a year since our last visit to Adelaide but you get out of touch quickly. I like to see the prices of things in the adverts. I was amazed at the price of Hot Cross Buns at Foodland, $2.99 ($3) for 6 !!! That works out at 50 cents each!! At Tescos they are 12 for £1.20 (10p or 20c each). That's a huge price difference. :shocked:

Also spotted the results of the previous day's Voteline (138 callers).

Q: "Should the State Government make it tougher for migrants to enter the state?"

A: Yes 96% No 4%

Not a representative sample (138) but interesting that the question is being asked in the first place.

I asked our (Australian) guests if they had noticed that there were a lot more British people in Adelaide now (you get the impression reading these forums that the whole of the UK is emigrating!) and surprisingly they answered that they hadn't noticed any difference. They were totally unaware of Hallett Cove being dubbed 'little Britain' etc etc.

Still got a lot more reading to do. I just noticed Ken (KG) Cunningham used to be a cricketer. I never knew that...!!!........

The hot cross buns were even dearer in Woolies. I think they were $4.89 for 8 today!

Food is getting more and more expensive every week here. My fav gingernuts have gone up from 86 cents a pack to $1.10. We noticed this morning that a twin pack of chooks at the local chicken shop had gone up from $9.99 to $10.99 in the last 24 hours ........... they were $8.99 a few weeks ago.

I just wish my wages kept pace with it all.

Guest Nick11
Yeah....bloody expensive...more & more each week!

Hey...did anyone notice how pathetic the job paper was this week? Won't need a pull out for it soon....they'll have room in the normal classified!

You'll need a magnifying glass to read the job vacant section:arghh:

Guest The Pickles

Is it really all doom and gloom on the job front, food expenses? ... is the only thing we've got to look forward to the weather? It's hard not to worry when a lot of the threads on here seem to be getting more negative... I really appreciate that life isn't going to be without its troubles and won't always be rosy, I'm really trying to stay positive but my OH refuses to listen and doesn't want to know when I mention the apparent lack of jobs especially as we're giving up everything in the UK for our new life in Adelaide, as have most of you on here. Let's have some happy stories... please? x

Guest tooeasy

its not all doom and gloom we moved here nearly 12 months ago and really love it here i have always had a job in the uk and the same here we have recently bought our own house here and we seem to have more money in our pockets than in the uk i find some things more expensive but going out here is cheaper and you can plan your days out without fear of getting rained off or too cold i wouldnt go back to the uk now the family here love it :)

Hey...did anyone notice how pathetic the job paper was this week? Won't need a pull out for it soon....they'll have room in the normal classified!

Employers don't normally advertise on public holiday weekends, so many people are away on short breaks out of the area, visting family etc, that they don't sell as many copies of the paper so their advert isn't seen by as many people. Was the same in the UK on any bank holiday weekend, I would never have advertised a job then as you would get half as many applications.

Guest Guest75
Employers don't normally advertise on public holiday weekends, so many people are away on short breaks out of the area, visting family etc, that they don't sell as many copies of the paper so their advert isn't seen by as many people. Was the same in the UK on any bank holiday weekend, I would never have advertised a job then as you would get half as many applications.

I too noticed the Carrers supplement was thin - but as you say it is holiday time.:):)

Guest kangomik

Lets be honest, there are not that many jobs around at the moment. the engineering section over the last couple of months has been dire. Even on the net its sparse for work in engineering. It has been getting thinner over the weeks, and i do understand its easter soo expect it to be thin. Like wise the property paper, but i didn't expect it to be that thin.

Some food is expensive, some is cheap. Rellies over at the moment and are suprised at the price of bread. £5.50 for two loafs (offer).

The exchange rate will affect how you work it out to previous months also. Some work it out like we do at 2 to 1, some at 2.5 to 1.

All the more reason to live and spend the dollar rather than convert to pounds.

Saw bannanas at .99KG near Hahndorf the other day.

Basically its not cheap here, it's not the '90s in greece or spain.

Jobs are not plentiful.

But the place is brilliant, people are friendly, and the free time is excellent, a lot less stressfull.

Guest LordLucan
Is it really all doom and gloom on the job front, food expenses? ... is the only thing we've got to look forward to the weather? It's hard not to worry when a lot of the threads on here seem to be getting more negative... I really appreciate that life isn't going to be without its troubles and won't always be rosy, I'm really trying to stay positive but my OH refuses to listen and doesn't want to know when I mention the apparent lack of jobs especially as we're giving up everything in the UK for our new life in Adelaide, as have most of you on here. Let's have some happy stories... please? x

Here's a happy story. We are now 6 weeks into autumn, and almost every day consists of wall to wall sunshine, temperatures in the mid 20s. Yesterday, as I loaded the freezer after Cazzie's food shopping, I put away 3 large steaks which cost $10, 3 large chicken breasts, $10, a pack of 8 pork steaks (enough to feed 3 people), again $10. Try finding that lot in Tesco. Oh, and a BBQ pack of mixed meat for today's BBQ, for which the weather is guaranteed.

Last night, we spent the last 2 hours of daylight on a seat overlooking the beach 80 metres below, and afterwards, went to see 2 films (Hunger and Slum Dog Millionaire) for $8 at Brighton's Windsor Cinema.

Today, the sun is shining as usual, and we are torn between spending a sunny day in the garden and a sunny day out and about.

Yes, it's got a lot to do with the climate. But LOTS of things are cheaper than the UK, though lo and behold, not everything is.

Follow the dream. The streets aren't paved with gold, but the sky is.:)

Lets be honest, there are not that many jobs around at the moment. the engineering section over the last couple of months has been dire. Even on the net its sparse for work in engineering. It has been getting thinner over the weeks, and i do understand its easter soo expect it to be thin. Like wise the property paper, but i didn't expect it to be that thin.

Some food is expensive, some is cheap. Rellies over at the moment and are suprised at the price of bread. £5.50 for two loafs (offer).

The exchange rate will affect how you work it out to previous months also. Some work it out like we do at 2 to 1, some at 2.5 to 1.

All the more reason to live and spend the dollar rather than convert to pounds.

Saw bannanas at .99KG near Hahndorf the other day.

Basically its not cheap here, it's not the '90s in greece or spain.

Jobs are not plentiful.

But the place is brilliant, people are friendly, and the free time is excellent, a lot less stressfull.

Agreed, bread is very expensive here. Couldn't believe the price of hot cross buns, spoke to the in laws on skype yesterday and they got six for 30p. 6 in Coles were $4.49!!!!!

You are right about friendly people though, just opened our front door to find a bag hanging from the handle with 2 chocolate rabbits in it from our neighbour. That wouldn't have happened in a million years where we lived in the UK.

Guest cornish Busdriver

Me and the missus moved over in November 08 on PR Visa but she had to go back to finish off the house sale and get the pups and furniture shipped out.

We both had gotten jobs here before we came, i started in january cause i wanted to take some time out and find my bearings. Missus starts heres end of the month as she is taking some time out just enjoying the place.

The main line of work i wanted to go into was not an option for me here as the money is crap in it so i went back to being a bus driver again and well happy with it and missus will be a theater nurse at Calvary Wakefield.

So far we are a lot happier, better off, more relaxed, have more time togeather and even the pups are more chilled out but they do spend most days going down to the beach.

Would we ever go back to uk, HELL NO!!!!!!!! this is home and life is bloody great.

I agree that the job section could be thinner than usual, due to the easter hols....but come on guys....it's been shrinking for weeks now!!!

I know it's not nice to hear the negative things....but IMO what's the point in making out that everything is great here! It's not.....

The recession is making it's way over here big time now.........i'd be thinking very carefully about giving up a secure life in the UK at the moment....but i know what it is like when you set your heart on emigrating...it kind of takes over everything, and i remember very well that i didnt want to hear any negative stuff....and i wasnt comtemplating emigrating during a recession!

In the past couple of weeks i know of people in all sorts of work, who have lost their jobs....office...sparkie's....retail...etc...

So...the job paper is shrinking and more people are chasing those jobs......at my work, we are getting more cold calling...people after employment, people after business....

But hey the sun is shining!!!!

Guest SA Great
Here's a happy story. We are now 6 weeks into autumn, and almost every day consists of wall to wall sunshine, temperatures in the mid 20s. Yesterday, as I loaded the freezer after Cazzie's food shopping, I put away 3 large steaks which cost $10, 3 large chicken breasts, $10, a pack of 8 pork steaks (enough to feed 3 people), again $10. Try finding that lot in Tesco. Oh, and a BBQ pack of mixed meat for today's BBQ, for which the weather is guaranteed.

Last night, we spent the last 2 hours of daylight on a seat overlooking the beach 80 metres below, and afterwards, went to see 2 films (Hunger and Slum Dog Millionaire) for $8 at Brighton's Windsor Cinema.

Today, the sun is shining as usual, and we are torn between spending a sunny day in the garden and a sunny day out and about.

Yes, it's got a lot to do with the climate. But LOTS of things are cheaper than the UK, though lo and behold, not everything is.

Follow the dream. The streets aren't paved with gold, but the sky is.:)

Great post Mr Lucan! Positive, positive, positive. Well done. Yes we went to a wedding today and the weather was sensational 27C and bright sunshine. Tomorrow we are going water skiing with yet another 27C and sunny coming up. Off to the reception now....see ya!!