Oz beer. The worst in the world?

Guest Bristol_Matt

Guest Bristol_Matt

This post will probably take some stick but I have got broad shoulders and would very much like to read a counter-argument.

I am just back from doing a 2 week reccie in Adelaide. A lot of which I thoroughly enjoyed, so I dont believe I am not being a negative, whinging Pom when I make the statement Aussie beer is the worst in the world.

I have been lucky enough to have been to most countries in Europe as well as having travelled to the USA and the carribean.

All of these countries seem capable of producing beer that has a taste, why cant Australia?

For those of you who haven't tried Oz beer, imagine Soda Stream having produced a beer flavour, then imagine you only put in a quarter of the flavour in the bottle, then imagine freezing it so it was only just about liquid form.

Seriously, for the first few days I was there I thought I had a cold!

I got so desperate to taste something I thought I would pay a bit extra for a Stella. But would you believe it, even that had no taste. It turned out it is brewed under license in Australia.

Not being somebody who throws in the towel easily, i decided to try every single Aussie beer I could find. In the end I thought Cascade was the tastiest.

Now dont get me wrong, i am not saying the beer is nats wee as most are a healthy 5%. Its just IMHO they have no taste.

What do you think, is there a country any worse at making beer? Or have i got it all wrong?

Anyway, I will just sit back now and wait with anticipation for the hate mail...

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest cunnah10
This post will probably take some stick but I have got broad shoulders and would very much like to read a counter-argument.

I am just back from doing a 2 week reccie in Adelaide. A lot of which I thoroughly enjoyed, so I dont believe I am not being a negative, whinging Pom when I make the statement Aussie beer is the worst in the world.

I have been lucky enough to have been to most countries in Europe as well as having travelled to the USA and the carribean.

All of these countries seem capable of producing beer that has a taste, why cant Australia?

For those of you who haven't tried Oz beer, imagine Soda Stream having produced a beer flavour, then imagine you only put in a quarter of the flavour in the bottle, then imagine freezing it so it was only just about liquid form.

I got so desperate to taste something I thought I would pay a bit extra for a Stella. But would you believe it, even that had no taste. It turned out it is brewed under license in Australia.

Not being somebody who throws in the towel easily, i decided to try every single Aussie beer I could find. In the end I thought Cascade was the tastiest.

Now dont get me wrong, i am not saying the beer is nats wee as most are a healthy 5%. Its just IMHO they have no taste.

What do you think, is there a country any worse at making beer? Or have i got it all wrong?

Anyway, I will just sit back now and wait with anticipation for the hate mail...

my hubby is a beer man...loves his STELLA..but like you found that Stella there in Adelaide did NOT taste like Stella in the UK (although very expensive)...he turned to HAHN (DRY) in the end or PURE BLONDE....did you get a chance to try either of them?

each to their own though!

hope this hasn't put you off Adelaide (lol)

Guest TheTodds

Have you ever had indian or Malay beer? they're bad! i'm a real ale man myself but warmed to the taste of VB & Crown lager. Coopers isn't to bad really. Stella that's real bad!!!!!!!! ;-)

Guest familygood

Coopers Red, rolled before opening, is in our opinion one of the BEST beers in the world!!! Draught beer seems to be left a bit wanting I must agree...

Next time you come, head out to Lobethal and try the beers at the microbrewery there, now starting to be stocked in selected pubs around Adelaide. OH tends to brew his own stuff to get something decent, but reliably informs me (the only beer I can stomach is stout!) that the Lobethal ones are pretty good.

Guest Tracijbc
Next time you come, head out to Lobethal and try the beers at the microbrewery there, now starting to be stocked in selected pubs around Adelaide. OH tends to brew his own stuff to get something decent, but reliably informs me (the only beer I can stomach is stout!) that the Lobethal ones are pretty good.

Yep, Matt has become a home brew demon since being here, not because of the taste, but because of the price!!! Home brew can do 20 litres of beer for approx $20 rather than a slab for $40 from our local Fassina.

Mind you, I have to be honest, I do miss a really good pint of Stella, but have started drinking more Mexican Cerveza since living here, and Matty still loves a Coopers Pale.

T x

Guest SA Great

There is more to life than beer Matt!

Guest nishman

There's some bad un out there (west end springs to mind). But some good ones too - little creatures, coopers "ales" (pale, dark, sparkling), james squires, tooheys old...

I turned to home brew more from the economic perspective - 2½ slabs of beer for $20. The (coopers) ales and stout come out really well.:) I heard that Coopers make more out of the home brew than anything else...

Guest cafehag

I've tried beer all over the world as well.

In my opinion Coopers ale is as good as any you will find.

If you take the brewery tour and understand the history and the care taken is producing this ale (still independently produced by the Cooper family) then you will understand.

Guest panther

Well you should have visited all the wineries, we have the best wine in the world and at good prices, therefore why drink Beer?Panther

Guest SA Great

OK I am going to say what I'm really thinking. Is it really that important that the beer isn't up to your expectations. If you are complaining about things just on a reccie then what are you going to be like when you emigrate? Sorry Matt! but that's the facts.

Guest Django

I would suggest that there is nothing wrong with the beer but the way the Aussies like to serve it. I must admit I like Coopers but it tastes so much better (in my opinon) when served at room temperature. As a real ale fan I don't normally drink chilled beer unless its lager but drink that rarely.

Pete

Guest Bristol_Matt
OK I am going to say what I'm really thinking. Is it really that important that the beer isn't up to your expectations. If you are complaining about things just on a reccie then what are you going to be like when you emigrate? Sorry Matt! but that's the facts.

Please dont apologise, it's your opinion and I respect it.

Guest Bristol_Matt
I would suggest that there is nothing wrong with the beer but the way the Aussies like to serve it. I must admit I like Coopers but it tastes so much better (in my opinon) when served at room temperature. As a real ale fan I don't normally drink chilled beer unless its lager but drink that rarely.

Pete

I had a feeling the super-cold temperatures had some effect.

Guest Bristol_Matt
Well you should have visited all the wineries, we have the best wine in the world and at good prices, therefore why drink Beer?Panther

I wouldn't disagree with you. The reds I tried were awesome. But I am imagining a bbq on a hot summers day. And beer is the drink of choice.

Guest panther
I wouldn't disagree with you. The reds I tried were awesome. But I am imagining a bbq on a hot summers day. And beer is the drink of choice.

No there are a number of chilled reds available as well, try them all at a b/q

Guest sarahsmartiepants

Dont worry Matt you will get used to it, my husband has now after 3 years.......

..............................................Unfortunatly:biglaugh:

Guest Bristol_Matt
Dont worry Matt you will get used to it, my husband has now after 3 years.......

..............................................Unfortunatly:biglaugh:

WARNING - GENERALISATION ALERT!

Thats the problem, you women just dont understand the importance of a good beer!

;-)

Yup,i like my beer,and too (after 7 months)still swap and change in my quest to find Valhalla!Tooheys is about the best of the 4.6 ish stuff,but my favourites are Coopers Lager and Chang beer.Must have summat to do with the old 5% volume on the label!ATB Billy.

Guest graandjac

Matt you said you have big shoulders ....so your talking cr**;):P, love it the clean crisp taste of Hahn Super Dry....the best beer ive ever taisted....only my oponion of course.........lol

As for the price issue raised.........i guess if we were all drinking cheap beer so would all the teens and then we would then have Booze Australia on the telly... something i can do without so if it means paying a bit more then so be it........!!!!!

Guest SA Great

Hear hear Graham. I think Australia has some great beers but it all depends on your taste of course. I like Tooheys Extra Dry and Coopers Pale. Mind you, I did sink a few pints of Tetleys at the Elephant on Saturday night and it was awesome!! $5 an imperial pint between 6pm and 9pm! Includes all beers including Guiness! (Has Guiness got 2 n's??)