Leaving London... things we will not miss!

Guest The Pickles

Guest The Pickles

We are so excited to be coming to Adelaide and thought I'd jot a few things down to remind me why we are leaving...

Things I will not miss when I leave London:

• Commuting on the tube every day, particularly when Chelsea are playing at home
  • A 2 hour round trip to get to the office (3 hours for OH)
  • Wearing flip flops (sorry thongs) to work in this nice weather and coming home with black feet (nice)
  • Rubbish everywhere, even when there are bins nearby
  • Stepping in chewing gum
  • Being constantly harassed for money from beggars, drunks
  • Feeling intimidated by gangs of hoodies
  • Bank Holiday rain and traffic jams
  • Grey, dull days with/without rain
  • Miserable people
  • Paying extortionate rent for a house despite us both having good jobs
  • Not being able to afford to buy a house
  • Too many cars
  • Too many people

Things I will miss when I leave London:

• My parents (although they hope to join us in a couple of years)
  • My work colleagues – I couldn’t ask for a better working environment
  • The sounds of birds tweeting on a summer morning (Australian birds squawk don’t they)?
  • Going to the odd game at Anfield

Things to look forward to in Adelaide:

• A new start for me and my family
  • A better way of life
  • Sand between our toes on a daily basis
  • Blue sky and sunshine
  • Welcome rain
  • Happy, friendly people
  • Wine regions virtually on our doorstep!

Need I go on? :jiggy:

Marilyn, Glenn & Louis (age 3, almost 4) x

Flights booked 29 June

Guest SA Great

Good post guys, it all sounds positive and promising. I really can't argue with anything you have written because it's all true! Maybe missing the odd game at Anfield seeing as they are still second best to Man Utd!!! LOL

hi the pickles family your a saff london family! i spent many a day at wimbledon stadium with the stock cars on sunday nights happy memorys, i USED to live in east london well dagenham and to be honest i dont miss it one bit...i did come back to london last year october and after landing at 6am jet lagged and then getting a train to romford essex and just looking out of the window i could see why i left for australia everyting looked grey and dirty it didnt feel home anymore i wanted to get out as soon as possiable lucky i was getting a flight to spain that night to see wife and kids...

but good luck with the move over it wont take long to slip in to a new way of life and just remember your wife and kids will thank you for what you have done for them...where are you going to be living when you get here? im mawson lakes soon to be sailsbury heights in new house

alex

Guest Lisajonesey

Ha Ha! All the reasons.. we are moving too!

The OH commutes on an overland from Reading.. then 2 tubes to work.. so he's looking forward to giving that a miss!

He also says that he has "black snot!" Gross.

What time does it get dark in Adelaide in the Summer? I was just wondering if it stays light for as long as ours, in the "summer" months.

We've had a week of sushine here, and it's making me very excited. Although, I'll be turning up in the winter!

Pickles family.. when do you arrive?

Lisa.x

Guest fluffy1984

Great Post! Lodging our app next week, so about a year or so wait for us! Its nice to see young families are heading for Adelaide. My partner and i are planning to have kids out there, so its cool to know others have/doing the same, as all out friends are in Sydney :(

Lisa, i agree with your OH, as myself and my partner blow out black, grimy looking snot from all the smog in town!! Will miss my Chelsea boys thou....its almost impossible to keep in touch with the games :) Pickles, when do you head off? x

Guest The Pickles

We arrive on 1 July... OH handed in his notice today and I'm waiting for my redundancy wheels to be put in motion (thank you to my wonderful boss)... Oh yes the black snot, I won't miss that either!

Really looking forward to meeting you all in person and sharing a few cold beers and/or glasses of local wine.

Marilyn, Glenn & Louis (age 3, almost) - not really Pickles... confused?? x

hi,

yes no black snot in Adelaide :err: everytime i went into central London i got it too ...

but public transport here is not as frequent as in London.

i still dont drive and i really struggle to get to places, it seems such an effort, as some buses only run 1 or 2 every hour (outside CBD). i feel really cut out from everything. plus the lack of a high street to just go for a stroll or a coffee makes it difficult ...

was used to get anywhere i liked by public transport before.

but then again, u dont get as much trouble on the buses as we get in London. everybody is more civilized.

ignore me, there are lots of positive things in adelaide, i was fed up with london life for the same reasons as u. but beware, its very slow paced and it takes time to get used to it. i get quite impatient and have to tell myself to relax :)

good luck with the move.

Guest The Pickles

I would've thought it would be quite easy to give up a Spurs season ticket ... sorry, only mucking about! :P

I agree with all of your points - I'm going to miss the obvious family and friends but am finding it really hard to part with my Tottenham season ticket!