Silly Question - one for the girls!!

Guest Lisado

Guest Lisado

Okay. I will probs be ridiculed but I have to ask this question which has been bothering me for a while. Being from the North East of England and not used to warm/hot weather (saying that the BBQis out today - bout 15 degrees :jiggy:) I am worried about being too hot in OZ! As in "will my make up run?" "What to wear in the workplace, etc". I know there will be air conditioning but I am worried bout getting too hot on way to work.

My hubby thinks I am barking mad for worrying about these things but can't help it. I don't want to be a melting mess :swoon:

Lisa

Guest cazzie

Hello Lisa,

I was a bit worried about that too, so not a silly question. In the intense heat - over 30 degrees, I just wore less make-up as with a tanned face, less is ok. It didn't run or streak. Saying that, I do use waterproof mascara anyway. As for work, hopefully most places are air conditioned. At uni, I have actually felt cold indoors when it was boiling outside! Trial and error I guess will get you sorted. Take care and good luck with everything.

If you drive to work then the car will be air conditioned.

The buses and trams are air conditioned too. Provided you haven't got a long walk to the bus stop you should be OK.

If I caught the bus to work then the only time I used to get hot was waiting at the bus stop to go home. The office I used to work in was so cold that I used to keep a cardigan or jacket at my desk to wear during the day. Even then my (bare) legs would get absolutely freezing!

Guest ReadyPenny

Lisa

I am not a sun or heat person and I too was worried. However, I can honestly say that the heat IS different here, really. I wear my jeans on 34 degree days, whereas in Greece, I would wear as little as I could get away with in those temperatures, without frightening the locals!!!!! LOL I too wear less make up, just a bit of blusher, a bit of mascara and a bit of lip gloss and its fine. Dont worry, you will be fine.

Looking forward to your arrival, feel like I have known you for years and I love the Geordie accent too which is a real bonus. I will never be off the phone LOL !!!!!!!!

Mandy

If you take the bus, skip the make-up and go to work naked. Seriously, though just use layers and wear less of them on the way to and from...you'll need to be warm inside as the a/c will kill ya;) I don't wear make-up and just keep my hair up...no one looks gorgeous on those really hot days.

Guest maxxangel

Hi Lisa, Mandy is quite right; the humidity is much lower here, so the heat doesn't feel the same as in the UK. 15 degrees here feels COLD! It's only when you hit the late thirties and up it starts to feel hot. Mid 40s is a killer, but it only lasts for a week or two then plummets back down to the 20s which is jumper weather after a heatwave.

During the heatwave, everyone is in the same position and I think what they look like is the last thing on anyone's mind, but I'm sure any make up here would be made to cope with the heat. Even if your make up should run, I don't think anyone will bat an eyelid. The people on the whole are very non-judgemental here and you'd be surprised what people wander around in (ie: bedroom slippers on all ages, not just the elderly). It's one of the things I like about it here; although my husband is still very critical of people's dress sense.

Cara

Guest Lisado

Dear all

Thanks for putting my mind at ease. I dunno why I come up with these problems!

I don't wear that much make up here but I am soooo pale I need help. I am hoping I go a slightly off white colour (maybe cream) in Oz as I don't go that brown - hey it may be a first.

Hi Mandy - yeps looking forward tomeeting you too - you been great help over the months. Word of warning though - I'll be on the phone for hours - I am told i can talk for Britain (and now maybe oz!!!) :)