Flu vaccine - does it cost the same at every pharmacist??

Guest Fly Away

Guest Fly Away

We have scripts for our flu vaccine to collect from a pharmacy. Can anyone tell me if the charge is the same everywhere or if pharmacists charge different amounts? We are on a reciprocal agreement medicare card if that makes a difference.

Thanks

We have scripts for our flu vaccine to collect from a pharmacy. Can anyone tell me if the charge is the same everywhere or if pharmacists charge different amounts? We are on a reciprocal agreement medicare card if that makes a difference.

Thanks

I get flu jabs free through work which is a result....not sure about how much it will cost you.

But we have medi-care but this doesn not cover prescriptions...

Hope this helps

Guest Fly Away

Thanks all. I will ring round a few places and see what they say. I will use $20 as a good price.

The Drs we are going to gave us the prescription and we have to buy the vaccine and take it to the surgery where they keep it in the fridge until our appointment. Is that the usual way of doing things??? It seems long winded....

Thanks all. I will ring round a few places and see what they say. I will use $20 as a good price.

The Drs we are going to gave us the prescription and we have to buy the vaccine and take it to the surgery where they keep it in the fridge until our appointment. Is that the usual way of doing things??? It seems long winded....

Yes, that's what they normally do here, although some docs who have a practice nurse will get you to see the doc for the prescription, then you get it filled and see their nurse for the jab.

If you have to take the vaccine home the chemist will put it in a special cooler bag usually, and make sure you keep it in the fridge.

Guest GIPSY

Hi

Does everyone have a flu jab or is it done by choice or if you are over a certain age?

I have only ever had flu once (albeit not man flu!) and never want it again, but just wondered if it was comulsory in Oz?

Cheers

Hayley

Hi, it might be a bit late now but there is a vaccination clinic at the civic centre tea tree gully that does alot of vaccines at a lower price and less hassle than the Dr's, its run on a tuesday afternoon (i think) i have Flu done thru my job but i am gonna go there for tetnus and hep. check out the website if you need more info i did have a leaflet but its in a "safe place' with all my other lost things!!:arghh:

weez;)

Hi

Does everyone have a flu jab or is it done by choice or if you are over a certain age?

I have only ever had flu once (albeit not man flu!) and never want it again, but just wondered if it was comulsory in Oz?

Cheers

Hayley

It's by choice but I think some people may get them for free if they wish.

I have always had one done, and having seen my husband end up in hospital on a drip through having Type A flu a couple of years ago, it's something I would recommend everyone has done. Hubby lost 10 kilos in weight in a week, and I thought he was going to die. It was unlike any flu I've ever experienced before, and he still has an ongoing health issue resulting from it. Frightening stuff.

Guest Fly Away
Yes, that's what they normally do here, although some docs who have a practice nurse will get you to see the doc for the prescription, then you get it filled and see their nurse for the jab.

If you have to take the vaccine home the chemist will put it in a special cooler bag usually, and make sure you keep it in the fridge.

Thanks Wizzy - I just wondered as I wasn't sure... it's a bummer being a novice at everything. LOL :biglaugh:

Hi, it might be a bit late now but there is a vaccination clinic at the civic centre tea tree gully that does alot of vaccines at a lower price and less hassle than the Dr's, its run on a tuesday afternoon (i think) i have Flu done thru my job but i am gonna go there for tetnus and hep. check out the website if you need more info i did have a leaflet but its in a "safe place' with all my other lost things!!:arghh:

weez;)

Thanks Weez - will try to remember that for next time. :wubclub:

It's by choice but I think some people may get them for free if they wish.

I have always had one done, and having seen my husband end up in hospital on a drip through having Type A flu a couple of years ago, it's something I would recommend everyone has done. Hubby lost 10 kilos in weight in a week, and I thought he was going to die. It was unlike any flu I've ever experienced before, and he still has an ongoing health issue resulting from it. Frightening stuff.

I remember reading about your husband last year and it has always stuck in my mind, so I am keen to have the jabs. As a family we have had flu 3 times in the past 10 years - each time was pretty bad but nothing like your husband. I have begged our GP in the UK for the jab but as we weren't 'vulnerable' he wouldn't give it to us. Just glad we can get it on demand here. I don't mind paying for it if it means I don't get flu.

Guest Mrs PHH
Hi

Cheers

Hayley

Some companies pay for you to have the jab, both me and my OH have had it done at work. I guess they don't want there employees off with the flu.

Well I had my jab yesterday and it was $23.85. The nurse at my GP's practice told me she was getting fed up with doing them as she had done at least 100 jabs since Thursday night and she was a bit ummmmm 'heavy handed' to say the least - so now I have an aching left arm!

Now I have to persuade hubby that he really should have one, having had Type A before and being hospitalized, and the fact that we have endless kids coming in our house all the time with all their germs, he really needs one, but big wuss is afraid of needles!