18 months prior
Do your research
- Compile a shortlist of where in South Australia you'd like to live. Talk to friends and relatives already living in the State. Conduct research on the internet, useful websites include:
- Poms in Adelaide
- Learn more about property prices and the cost of living. Develop a budget for when you move.
- Research job opportunities and business opportunities for you and your family.
- Attend migration expos to obtain more information and ask questions.
- Find a migration agent or research your migration visa options if you plan to apply yourself.
- Talk to your doctor about any medical conditions that may need attention.
- Prepare your current home for sale or rent.
12 months prior
Apply for your visas
- Ensure that you and your family all have valid passports.
- Complete your visa applications forms – seek assistance from your Migration Agent if required.
Communicate your plans
- Inform your children’s schools of your relocation plans. Request copies of all relevant documentation such as school reports.
- Talk to your family and friends about your plans to relocate.
Organise your finances
- Consolidate accounts and reduce debts wherever possible.
Check the cost of moving
- Research costs for relocation services and source airfare quotes.
- Familiarise yourself with Australia’s customs and quarantine requirements for your pets and belongings.
6 months prior
Prepare to move out
- If your permanent residency visa has been granted, put your home on the market for sale and source temporary accommodation should your house sell sooner than anticipated.
- Check the required notice period for vacating your property if you are renting.
- Sell or donate unwanted furniture and household goods.
- Research processes involved with transporting pets i.e. quarantine, vaccinations, costs involved.
- Consider advising your employer of your relocation plans.
- Undertake medical and police checks if required.
- Create or update your Last Will and Testament.
- Obtain copies of medical and dental records for you and your family.
- Request credit references from your bank and other lenders.
- Narrow down your search for places you would like to live in South Australia.
2 months prior
Organise temporary living arrangements in South Australia
- Source and book temporary accommodation in South Australia for when you arrive.
- Investigate transport options to your temporary accommodation when you arrive.
- Investigate new schools or childcare providers for your children and register them if possible.
- Book your pets into quarantine service and boarding kennels if necessary.
- Begin packing items you do not regularly use.
- Update your Curriculum Vitae/Resume including employer references. Start applying for positions via employer and recruitment websites. Follow up by phone if possible.
- Contact potential employers in South Australia and notify them of your interest and expected arrival time. Arrange a telephone interview if appropriate.
- Obtain statements from your financial institutions and any pension /superannuation funds.
- Arrange necessary insurance cover for you and your family. Ensure it is valid until you take out a new policy in Australia.
- Settle any outstanding legal matters if applicable.
- Service your vehicle, prepare for sale or storage.
- Confirm your departure date with removalists.
1 month prior
- Sell or store your car.
- Provide a forwarding address to your bank, migration agent, post office, financial institutions, employer, friends and family, and relevant authorities. Arrange for your mail to be redirected.
- Compile personal records and paperwork into a secure travel file.
- Pay all bills, cancel subscriptions and ensure any direct debits will be stopped once you move.
- If possible, set up a bank account in Australia.
- Arrange for current prescriptions and a sufficient supply of any medicines.
- Organise private health and other insurance for when you arrive in Australia.
- Confirm temporary accommodation booking for when you arrive.
2 weeks prior
- Obtain some Australian dollars and/or travellers’ cheques for when you arrive.
- Finish packing all non-essential items.
- Back up your computer files.
1 week prior
- Organise transport to the airport.
- Pack essential items and on-board luggage. Include activities for children if applicable.
- Leave forwarding contact details for the new occupants of your home.