Coffee Shops!

NicF

Hello, my name is NicF and I'm a coffee shopaholic.

Seriously, one of my favourite pastimes is going out to a nice coffee shop for coffee and cake and one of my favourite things about Adelaide is there are so many nice looking coffee shops to choose from. If the going to the coffee shop is the main purpose of my outing then ideally it would be in a location where there was something else on offer, either a nice park, a beach or one or more interesting shops to check out. I'm no coffee connoisseur so I'm not fussy about what the coffee is like as long as I can get a barista made latte and there is a nice selection of cakes I'm happy. The place does have to be clean or have somewhere nice nearby to sit though.

I don't have a favourite coffee shop and there area still a few close by that I still need to get to but I'm always on the lookout for new places to try. So what is your favourite coffee shop, or where is your favourite place to visit that has a coffee shop or kiosk?

Guest wen66

Agatha's in Port Noarlunga, do an awesome coffee...foods good, too.

I love a good coffee and recommendations......so go for it:smile:.

PS: The Nespresso shop, Rundle Mall....free coffee, get sampling:biggrin:x

Have you tried Elbio's in Newton? We hold our monthly book-club meetings there, nice coffee and lovely cakes!

I haven't no, and it wouldn't be that far from me either. Not quite walking distance (although not far off) but still very close. I'll add it to my local coffee shops to try list.

We have a Nespresso machine so I'm in the shop quite often for capsules anyway. I think an afternoon out to Port Noarlunga may be on the cards at some point.

Agatha's is good. I enjoy the food there.

If you are including breakfast then AKA Fuse on the beachfront in Christies Beach is also good. They do great cake and coffee.

I had a great breakfast at the Cortile café in Walkerville. A bit out of the way for me but I like to explore the city at the same time. From the outside it's deceiving but the area is at the back...well worth a visit. The cake was so good that I had to bring some back for my daughter! :smile:

Agatha's is good. I enjoy the food there.

If you are including breakfast then AKA Fuse on the beachfront in Christies Beach is also good. They do great cake and coffee.

I had a great breakfast at the Cortile café in Walkerville. A bit out of the way for me but I like to explore the city at the same time. From the outside it's deceiving but the area is at the back...well worth a visit. The cake was so good that I had to bring some back for my daughter! :smile:

Ooo, Walkerville isn't that far from me, another one for the local (ish) list. And Christies Beach on the list of afternoons out.

At Prospect there is Muratti's Cakes and Gateaux which I think is fantastic - really spoiled for choice - the display window is just always packed with cakes, pastries, their coffee is really good. It's always got heaps of people there. There is also a place called Cafe Komodo a few doors down which I haven't been to yet. It is hidden away down a little walkway and it's got ambience and real rustic appeal. I went to check it out and it is quiet spot away from the main road of Propsect Road which can be very noisy. It feels like a secret special place.

Another vote for Pure in Glenelg. So different to most of the chain store/cafe rubbish on Jetty Road. Great food, coffee, everything! It is a bit hipster but in a cool way not a super try-hard way. Also check out Zest Cafe Gallery and La Musette (both in Glenelg).

I also like Le Carpe Diem - a French cafe - on Grenfell St, and The Howling Owl, both in the city.

Hi Guys

'Taylor Blend' - on Hallet Road Stonyfell by St Peter's Girls School....I am told by locals that this is the best coffee in Adelaide!!! people travel from N Adelaide to come and taste his coffee...

I only have coffee at weekends and it is in walking distance to my house which is handy....the cakes are wonderful and it is a very busy little place. You will notice that all the staff are men!

Hi Guys

'Taylor Blend' - on Hallet Road Stonyfell by St Peter's Girls School....I am told by locals that this is the best coffee in Adelaide!!! people travel from N Adelaide to come and taste his coffee...

I only have coffee at weekends and it is in walking distance to my house which is handy....the cakes are wonderful and it is a very busy little place. You will notice that all the staff are men!

Tried this one today. Quite hipster although the average age of the clientele while we were there was about 70. The coffee was nice, although I couldn't tell it from any other coffee if I'm honest. The cake selection was very nice if slightly grown up. My nine year old wasn't that keen on the chocolate muffin he had but my OH ate it quite happily. Fortunately they sell cans of coke, but not much else in the way of kids drinks. Inside is quite small but there are loads of tables outside. Nice spot with an oval across the road, a garden to one side and a small wood across the road on the other. The road it's on was a bit busy but not busy enough to spoil the experience. Overall I'd say a lovely place for grown ups but not so great for kids unless they have fairly cosmopolitan tastes.

I'm testing out the Cudlee Creek Cafe for you tomorrow and will report back...

Love the sound of that one Diane - you will definitely have to report back.

Ginger's Coffee Studio is just around the corner from me and it is always packed.....and I've never been ......so that's it then I am booking in!

There is also this newish place called Cherry Darlings Bakehouse at Forestville has opened up....I haven't tried there coffee but their baked goodies are great. I think I am going to put on some of the weight I've lost....:swoon:.....

This is a good thread, thanks NicF

At Prospect there is Muratti's Cakes and Gateaux which I think is fantastic - really spoiled for choice - the display window is just always packed with cakes, pastries, their coffee is really good. It's always got heaps of people there. There is also a place called Cafe Komodo a few doors down which I haven't been to yet. It is hidden away down a little walkway and it's got ambience and real rustic appeal. I went to check it out and it is quiet spot away from the main road of Propsect Road which can be very noisy. It feels like a secret special place.

Hi NicF:

Yes, I've been to Muratti's with a friend who can't resist the cakes and always buys a gateau to take home after a visit. I'm watching the calories, so tend to stick to coffee and leave the cakes in the display case, lovely though the selection looks! The coffee's good, though. My daughter has been to the Komodo Cafe and said it has a great ambience, having a '60s theme with vinyl records on the walls. I think she said they play 50s and 60s music, so it sounds like a good place to visit. Have fun !

Hi NicF:

Yes, I've been to Muratti's with a friend who can't resist the cakes and always buys a gateau to take home after a visit. I'm watching the calories, so tend to stick to coffee and leave the cakes in the display case, lovely though the selection looks! The coffee's good, though. My daughter has been to the Komodo Cafe and said it has a great ambience, having a '60s theme with vinyl records on the walls. I think she said they play 50s and 60s music, so it sounds like a good place to visit. Have fun !

I don't know how you do it - to resist the cakes :shocked:

And I think Diane owes us a review??

I don't know how you do it - to resist the cakes :shocked:

Nine times out of ten times I'm okay watching my friend tuck in to something gooey or chocolatey or walnutty when we're having morning or afternoon coffee catch-ups, but whenever I do weaken, I always feel bad afterwards because of the calorie-thing and then wish I hadn't ... ! So I tend not to; at least, not when it comes to coffee and cake with friends, that is. There was no mention of fruit-and-nut chocolate with a nice cuppa tea watching telly later on at home with MrH. Now that's a different thing altogether... LOL! :wink:x

Edited by NicF
Fixing quote

• 2 weeks later...

Linda and I just happened across "A Mothers Milk" coffee shop on Unley road, did not really look that much of a place, but had a coffee anyhow, Linda commented on how really good the coffee was, then a couple of weeks later we see the Barista had won some sort of Australian Barista competition, might be worth a try if your in the area.

Also there is a bakery we found when we were walking the suburbs one Sunday afternoon, "St Peters Bakehouse and coffee shop" a couple of people sat inside and out, but boy there was a steady stream and queues of customers for all the bakery items, very surprising for a Sunday arvo, it all did look good though, we had a nice coffee and cake, but the next time we had the Cornish pasty, which was fair compared to real pasties but good for Aussie standards, I would recommend a visit to this place for the coffee and cake as well as normal bakery supplies.

Keith.

PS. I just googled A Mothers Milk, seems gets quite good reviews.

Linda and I just happened across "A Mothers Milk" coffee shop on Unley road, did not really look that much of a place, but had a coffee anyhow, Linda commented on how really good the coffee was, then a couple of weeks later we see the Barista had won some sort of Australian Barista competition, might be worth a try if your in the area.

Also there is a bakery we found when we were walking the suburbs one Sunday afternoon, "St Peters Bakehouse and coffee shop" a couple of people sat inside and out, but boy there was a steady stream and queues of customers for all the bakery items, very surprising for a Sunday arvo, it all did look good though, we had a nice coffee and cake, but the next time we had the Cornish pasty, which was fair compared to real pasties but good for Aussie standards, I would recommend a visit to this place for the coffee and cake as well as normal bakery supplies.

Keith.

PS. I just googled A Mothers Milk, seems gets quite good reviews.

Although I'm sure you're right about the coffee shop you mentioned, but I'm a bit put off by the name 'A Mother's Milk' - well, a lot put off if I'm honest - as having a vivid imagination tends to conjure up ...no, won't go there...

I'm the same with pubs/restaurants with names like 'Slug and Lettuce' and 'Hog's Breath' etc.; If I was fancying a nice salad lunch, for instance, I'd never visit a restaurant with the word 'slug' in its name.

It's a shame because I'm probably missing out on some nice treats because of my name phobia. Oh well, it takes all sorts, I suppose. lol!

Although I'm sure you're right about the coffee shop you mentioned, but I'm a bit put off by the name 'A Mother's Milk' - well, a lot put off if I'm honest - as having a vivid imagination tends to conjure up ...no, won't go there...

I'm the same with pubs/restaurants with names like 'Slug and Lettuce' and 'Hog's Breath' etc.; If I was fancying a nice salad lunch, for instance, I'd never visit a restaurant with the word 'slug' in its name.

It's a shame because I'm probably missing out on some nice treats because of my name phobia. Oh well, it takes all sorts, I suppose. lol!

Google it up I think you can get an explanation, but it's not to about a human mother, more nature I think. It does get rave reviews for food but we only had the coffee. Go-on be brave and try it!