Peanut Allergy

Guest Lisado

Guest Lisado

Hi all

We have just found out our 4 yr old daughter has apeanut allergy - Grade 5 which is severe (god forbid- she could end up in coma or worse if she has anyhting to do with peanuts / peanut oil/ etc). Here in the UK - everything has warnings on "may contain nuts". Is it the same over there? Any help appreciated as we have to watch everything she now eats - at parties, restaurants. We even need peanut free flights to oz

Many thanks, LIsa

Guest ReadyPenny

Hi Lisa

Yes I have seen lots of products with peanut warnings on them, similar to UK. Our flights with Singapore served nuts as a snack but they were is sealed bags, individual servings. Good luck with the flights, but don't worry any more than necessary about the nuts, they are well sign posted!!!!

Mandy

Guest ReadyPenny

Hey, congrats. Just noticed your Visa has now been granted - Well Done, you have been through enough hassle to get it. Must have missed that somehow!!! Dont get on much because Sean and Amber hog the Pc all the time. Our stuff is being delivered on Monday and then we will have two so will be on a bit more often

Mandy

Guest Lisado

Unfortunately Amelia cannot be in room where peants being eaten - hence the peanut free flight. My nephew suffers from the same problem. Even at kids' parties, she will have to take her own food :mad:

Yeps the visa came at long last Mandy - in fact we got our passports today with visa in them - so exciting. I am applying for jobs now and hunting for accommodation. We hope to be there in Sept in time for the kids to start school in October

Just can't wait

Guest lynne

We flew with singopore airline and there was a person on there with a nut allergy so they did not serve the nuts. But you need to tell the airline prior to travelling and when booking in.

And just to reassure you, the schools I've been in (and kindys etc) have all been great with peanut allergies. The child's photo complete with warning was placed in a sensible position (canteen/staff room/ kid's classroom) plus each had a member of staff qualified to administer an EpiPen in an emergency.

It sounds really tough for your daughter plus you as a family, but I'm sure you are not alone and it will all become second nature. Congrats on the visa though!

:wubclub: LC

Guest The Hadleys
Hi all

We have just found out our 4 yr old daughter has apeanut allergy - Grade 5 which is severe (god forbid- she could end up in coma or worse if she has anyhting to do with peanuts / peanut oil/ etc). Here in the UK - everything has warnings on "may contain nuts". Is it the same over there? Any help appreciated as we have to watch everything she now eats - at parties, restaurants. We even need peanut free flights to oz

Many thanks, LIsa

Hi Lisa

Dont panic, my 14 year old daughter has a peanut allergy too, we have been here 6 months, my daughter carriers her epi-pen around with her at school. As regards to the flights as soon as you have booked you need to let the airline know in writing with a letter from your doctor. We did a recci in 2007, informed singapore airlines verbally over the phone, when we were about to board the flight I just casually informed the flight attendant who I was and they knew nothing of my request, it was a absolute nightmare, they refused to let us fly unless we saw the doctor at the airport to say my dauughter was fit to fly, and I had to argue the toss for them not to serve nuts, to cut a very long and stressfull story short, it was fine in the end, just make sure they know before and you will not have a problem. They gave a clear announcement that if anyone had took peanuts on the craft to refrain from eating them.

Dawn

Guest Lisado

Thanks all for your reassurances. We will defos write letter to airline company as you suggest.

Plus thats a great idead about the school - that sounds like they are really switched on about allergies.

Lisa

Guest Libby1971

I am one of those causing a nut free flight. I have had an epipen for the last few months. I thought I might need one but refused to have the test until I got here in case it messed the medicals up. That being said I have known I have had a nut allergy all my life and over the years it has got worse.

When we rang to sort the seats etc, I informed them over the phone of dietary requirements and in my case I wanted nut free. I was asked if I had an allergy and that was it until we got on the plane. A stewardess came and found me and said that they had planned the meals to ensure that I was not exposed to nuts and within 20 mins an announcement came across the speakers to say someone had a nut allergy on board and no nuts would be served. They also asked that out of consideration to the passenger could people who had brought nuts with them, please not do so as alternative snacks were on board.

Most schools are nut friendly i.e. they are aware of nut allergies adn don't serve them. However, there is no real way to stop other parents sending their kids in with nuts although they are reminded.

All food will probably be labelled may contain nuts as it is thie get out clause should nuts get in. I don't think there is anything you can do about it and you'll just have to take care. I take an antihistamine daily all year round just in case of something like this.

Hi, not sure if this helps but most Health food shops contain food clearly marked, as they used to cater for people with food allergies. I know these store are more to do with Gluten free but is worth asking them.

I have been to this store, they have a very good food range:

http://www.freestores.com.au/locatefreestorespage/locatestores.php

Also this one looks good but haven’t been in yet:

http://www.kyliesglutenfree.com/

And for more info:

http://www.unley.sa.gov.au/site/page.cfm?u=897&c=5225

Guest TC for short

Just a small point, but when you write to the airline (if you're doing it the old-fashioned way) send it registered post so you have proof that they received it (just in case).

Equally, if you e-mail them make sure they e-mail a response (nag them until they do), print it all out (your letter and their response) and carry it with your passport.

That will ensure they cannot deny knowledge, and any further expenses you incur should be their liability.

TC

Guest Lisado

You know, apart from my nephew I didn't know how common peanut allergies seem to be!

I will take your advcie on board (ha ha) and definately ask for confirmation that the airline has received my letter/email - thats so helpful.

I know the supermarkets cover their backs and label everything with "may contain nuts" but drives me potty.

Thanks also for the helpful links

stars as always :cute:

lisa