Is the healtchare good in SA?

Guest Robarts Family

Guest sarahsmartiepants

I had rubbish experience of UK hospital, other than giving birth to 2 kids.

Here my son went to the doc on the friday with a headache he hadnt shifted for 2 weeks, she asked him to come back next friday if it hadnt gone, which he did, the next day he had a brain scan, dont worry she said we eliminate the worst case scenario first, they then did blood tests which uncovered a iron disorder.

I am sure there are just as many bad expiriences as good, but I know where i would like to be when I am ill.

A friend in the Uk had a daughter who kept having fits, she had to wait 5 months for some brain scan that told them she was epileptic!

Guest KP Nuts

I've only had one experience so far of the doctor's here, got an appointment the same day within an hour of going there for the first time. The doctor was very nice, and spoke to my daughter and not me, which she liked. So at the moment I would say here is better, but as I said this is only the first time.

Guest katsmajic

I hold my hat off to the health care system here - but then i have only praise for the NHS too.

You pay here, via medicare etc, whereas UK the costs are wrapped up in NI.

As a family weve had several incidences, requiring Drs and hospital assistance - all have been really positive - waiting times here are minimal.

Guest alibongo

Hi

Have had one or two medical problems in Aus and so far have found it a quick system to access

Gps do all referral themselves while you are waiting so saves time.

In the UK you would have to wait for them to dictate a letter and for the secretary to type and fax off

From a nurse working in the system I find it very frustrating but thats the system

• 1 year later...
Guest Guest5035
My GP here is a lovely Canadian lady whom is very thorough.....i wnt see anyone else now.HG[/quote

OK HG we know what you mean:D:biglaugh:

I thought the system was brill here until yesterday, my 82 year old neigbour fell at home, no locum available, ambo called, into Lyle Mac, all good sent home, nothing wrong. Overnight ambo called taken to Modbury this time, found fracture in spine:shocked::shocked: Now at Memorial, (private).

Stevo

I guess there are always bad experiences wherever you are (and doesn't matter how "routine" something can be, things can go wrong...) but I have found that looking after our family's health here has been easier than in UK. Things that have made a difference are locum service that will visit you after hours, womens and childrens great for taking children in when you need that kind of care, shopping around for doctors is the only thing that is a bit annoying but there's a lot of choice that may just take some time unless you have a great recommendation.

Things are a little 'disjointed' in terms of having to go here for one thing, there for another... but we have no complaints so far.

Prescriptions seem expensive, and antibiotics are handed out like smarties, or so it seems. Because you have to pay for the drs, I tend to find that they will give you a script with a choice of whether to cash it in "if you need it" which annoys me somewhat - I go to the Dr for a medical opinion and want a Dr to tell me whether my child needs antibs or not - I don't like having the dilemma of deciding that for myself. BUt I've found a good Dr who will be prepared to say to me "if she were my daughter I would...". So it's a case of finding the personality of Dr that is right for you.

I've definitely found that semi-urgent / urgent things have been dealt with amazingly and quickly.

Yes, my dad had a stay in RAH when he was here... treatment was fantastic right up to the point they had him in a ward. One visit was enough for me. I have no sympathy for those who are campaigning to keep the place open, I have no plans to go back...

But if you have medical insurance you can hopefully avoid having to go there for anything...