Baby formula milk - UK vs Oz

ischa

Hi,

We are due to come over Feb '10 (visa in, now the waiting game!). We are due to have our second baby in Oct, I'm in the process of putting together a Q&A book - before baby 2 arrives and all I have time for is nappies and feeding;)!

Can you pls tell me what formula milk is available in Adelaide, and if you get any of the usual brands that you get in the UK ? Brands I can think off in the UK, Cow & Gate, Aptamil, SMA...)

Thanks !

Lindi

My sister came over here in Feb with her little one he drinks Farleys in the UK and they did have the same here although it had a different name, I think its Nurture????. The formulas here (popular ones) are NAN (is made by Nestle so the equivalent of Cow and Gate), S26 (equivalent of SMA) and Karicare (equivalent to Milupa/Aptamil)

Lindsey

• 3 weeks later...
Guest guest3462

Most of the formulas just have different names, but if you choose to change your brand it shouldn't bother baby too much if you make the change gradually. If you can bring some from Uk, and buy some of what you intend to use here, you can introduce it slowly ie, 1 feed a day, then 2 feeds a days every few days til the Uk milk is no longer used. It should take about 2 weeks for full transition, but there should be little or no changes to your baby's digestive routine! It can take up to 4 weeks for baby to get fully used to a new milk, so persevere if you think they are not taking it well, as changing frequently can lead to cramp and "colic".

I am a health visitor, so if you need any advice please ask.

Good luck

Julia x

My sister came over here in Feb with her little one he drinks Farleys in the UK and they did have the same here although it had a different name, I think its Nurture????. The formulas here (popular ones) are NAN (is made by Nestle so the equivalent of Cow and Gate), S26 (equivalent of SMA) and Karicare (equivalent to Milupa/Aptamil)

Lindsey

Yep, was told by S26 is SMA. BUT I was told by Karicare that they are equivalent to Cow & Gate! believed them too and on the basis have that have always used that as Holly's formula! :huh: as Cow and Gate seemed to suit my boys best. Have to say she has been ok on it, although it karricare gold seems to be one of the most expensive formulas and rarely on offer.

As others have said, baby should be ok with changeover, but if it is only 4 months when you arrive, you may still be breastfeeding, so it might not be a problem anyhow?