Medicals and VAT Refund from the UK Gov

Guest Martin and Val

Guest Martin and Val

Now I don't know if this is in the correct section or not but I thought I should let you all know about this.

It's not often that the British Government want to give you money is it?

We arrived here on 22 Oct last year, we had our medicals Jan of the same year (2008).

We arrive home today to find a letter which had been redirected from our old UK address, it came from the Bridge Clinic in Maidenhead asking us to contact them for a refund of VAT paid on our medials.

Apparently HM Revenue and Customs have ruled that the migration medicals we had should not have been subject to VAT and that the clinic had an obligation to refund us the VAT paid. One simple phone call to them and the refund of the VAT amount has been paid into our account!!!

Wow, not a huge amount of money but never the less, welcome.:jiggy:

Hope this is of interest to you all.

Martin

Guest WoodMartin

I'm off to check how much (if any?) VAT we paid. Think the paperwork may be in our shipment which went a week ago so will be remembering this for when we see it again!

Ali

Guest Martin and Val

For those just about to pay for their Medicals it may be worth telling the medical centre about this if they don't already know that is.

It could save a family a tidy sum. I don't know how far you can go back but if you consider we had our Meds back in Jan 2008 so it certainly looks like you can go back a fair way.;)

Good luck

Martin

Guest ben&sharon
Now I don't know if this is in the correct section or not but I thought I should let you all know about this.

It's not often that the British Government want to give you money is it?

We arrived here on 22 Oct last year, we had our medicals Jan of the same year (2008).

We arrive home today to find a letter which had been redirected from our old UK address, it came from the Bridge Clinic in Maidenhead asking us to contact them for a refund of VAT paid on our medials.

Apparently HM Revenue and Customs have ruled that the migration medicals we had should not have been subject to VAT and that the clinic had an obligation to refund us the VAT paid. One simple phone call to them and the refund of the VAT amount has been paid into our account!!!

Wow, not a huge amount of money but never the less, welcome.:jiggy:

Hope this is of interest to you all.

Martin

We did ours at the Bridge Clinic - ill have to check the paperwork when the container arrives to see if we were also charged. Great tip - thanks!!

Guest Martin and Val
Now it is said on the PIA grapevine that you are well on the way to your first million here in Oz Martin,so if i apply for this refund,will this "small amount of money",in your terms,change my life substantially?ATB Sue.

Sorry to disappoint you Sue but that must be somebody else's grapevine!

Anyway I can't say how much this refund will change your life or even if it will at all but it certainly could be a nice little surprise for a large family.

Hope you get something back.

Martin

i was trying to remember where our papers for the medicals are (we also used the bridge clinic) - they are probably in the container :goofy:

BUT no need! we've got the letter yesterday with a phone number - and they just want to know how we'd like the money being transfered :cute:

thanks marting for making me aware!!

Do you just contact the medical centre where you had the medicals done?

Do you need the receipt as I doubt very much if I still have it?

i was about to getting my thinking hat on where our receips is (i think in the container!) - but they contacted me before i even got around to do that!

and they just want payment details from us.

so i guess if you were to contact them they'd know about it!

Guest Martin and Val
Do you just contact the medical centre where you had the medicals done?

Do you need the receipt as I doubt very much if I still have it?

We didn't know anything about this until we received a letter from the medical centre. Really pleased we kept up the postal redirection for a further year or we may never have heard about it!

Give them a ring one day and ask the question it will only cost you a couple of dollars and you stand to get more than that back.

Cheers

Martin

thats good to know. but i cant remember if we paid VAT on ours or not. we had them done in manchester in jan 08 but i doubt very much if i know where the reciept is and we didnt keep up redirection of post. :o(

may look into it if i find the number ?

its nice if you are owed money for a change

thanks

Kathx

• 1 month later...