Do i have to get Medicare?

Guest richoz

Hi all,

Got my perm res visa and am due to arrive 21/09/09 and will get my medical insurance sorted out then, what i want to know is do i have to enroll with medicare aswell?

:wacko:

Rich

Yep indeed you do. Just rock up with your passport to one of the many medicare offices dotted around and they'll sort you out.

You'll need medicare to see a doctor and they'll ask for it at the hospital too. I reckon you'll need it before you can sort out doctors and medical insurance

Guest guest569

A friend of mine had an ambulance called the other weekend. He tells me its a call out fee of $850 . If you need them to take you to hospital its $100 PER KILOMETER !!!!!!!! AS WELL !!!!!!

He hasn't got his bill yet. Is this true ????

Guest ReadyPenny

If you are taking out medical insurance ie Medibank, Mutual Community etc, the extras package, most of them include ambulance cover. Check this first as we arranged ambulance cover as soon as we stepped off the plane, $120 for family for a year, the day after we joined medibank and hey presto it was included!!! Waste of $120 me thinks!!!

Mandy