Mum coming over for a hol soon, can she get medical help if needed?

Guest Glindy

Hi,

Just want to have everything in place as my mam is coming over from Dublin in ten days, and she does see her Dr quite a lot back home as she has high blood pressure and other niggling issues. Have heard about some kind of recipricol program for when people from Uk and Ireland visit Australia, Hopefully she will be totally fine while she is here, but just want all the facts in place, if she is unwell can I just bring her to my Dr here? She has a medical card back home in Ireland. Thanks:)

Guest philnjulie
Hi,

Just want to have everything in place as my mam is coming over from Dublin in ten days, and she does see her Dr quite a lot back home as she has high blood pressure and other niggling issues. Have heard about some kind of recipricol program for when people from Uk and Ireland visit Australia, Hopefully she will be totally fine while she is here, but just want all the facts in place, if she is unwell can I just bring her to my Dr here? She has a medical card back home in Ireland. Thanks:)

hi, you need to take her to a medicare office near you with passport and proof of home address eg travel insurance letter will suffice and also her travel visa and you will get issued with temp card plastic will follow phil

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest mike and tor

it will depend on her passport. If it is a UK passport then all well and good. If it not and there is not rhca with that country (Eire) then she will need medical insurance.

We have come up against this issue as both my wife and I have PR in the UK but with canadian passports. We contacted Medicare and have been told we need private insurance until we apply for PR in OZ.

• 5 weeks later...
Guest steph&neil

Hi just wanted to say that if it was an emergency you wont need to register with medi care at all, (even after being treated as they dont charge for public hospital emergencies) my brother in law came last year & got an ear infection they not only seen him the doctor he seen was an ENT consult so took him up to the clinic opened a now finished for the weekend room, treated him & sent him on his way! I have to say although a shock to pay for doctors etc it is fab that you can get a same day app without convincing the receptionist you really do need to be seen! (sorry I am sure there are lots of uk Doc receptionists that are great just that our local ones in the UK thought they were the powers that be!)

Also you can register with medi care for a rebate after the appointment!

Steph x