Mozzies

John Browning

MOSQUITOES

Well the good news is that you won't see a mozzy in the CBD and you won't contract malaria (or Ross River Virus) in Adelaide.

the downside is that you will need to control mosquitoes around your property in the suburbs.

This isn't that complicated:

-The larvae get laid in fresh, still water. Swimming pools and fountains are not a problem, nor garden ponds with hungry goldfish and frogs.

Rainwater tanks just need a eggcupful of Kerosene (or similar) on the surface to keep them Mozzy free. Empty out water lying around in watering cans and the saucers under outside pot plants.

All the Supermarkets sell a range of cheap, very effective repellants. You can also buy various electronic devices to zap the sods (-but don't forget: these atttract the Mozzies rather than repelling them).

If you don't like the idea of this: mosquitoes prefer not to bite people with high levels of B12 in the blood, and they find it difficult to settle on you if you are sitting in a breeze.

-So : eat well and stay cool.

Any other ideas??

JB :v_SPIN:

Guest Aussie pat

I had a blood test earlier this year as I had developed arthritis in my feet. I showed positive for Barmer Forest virus another mozzy borne virus similar to Ross River virus. It appears I picked it up in Adelaide. It didn't explain my arthritis in the end though. I had no idea I had it. It can make you feel really tired but as a working Mum I feel like that a lot anyway!

They do eat peeps with high B12 levels..................i was itchy red lumped vegemite scoffing proof of that, lol.:sad:

For the last week i have been back on the tonic water (diet stuff mind) and not one bite have i got; WOOHOO, a cure.

:idea:

I tell you the British Raj got it right with the Gordons and Tonic at sunset. Good old fashioned quinine works a treat.

Some of the sprays are good, aerogaurd for eg, but dont forget to spray your feet, nowt worse than inflamed itchy toe when you're trying to sleep, let me tell you!!

They do eat peeps with high B12 levels..................i was itchy red lumped vegemite scoffing proof of that, lol.:sad:

For the last week i have been back on the tonic water (diet stuff mind) and not one bite have i got; WOOHOO, a cure.

:idea:

I tell you the British Raj got it right with the Gordons and Tonic at sunset. Good old fashioned quinine works a treat.

Some of the sprays are good, aerogaurd for eg, but dont forget to spray your feet, nowt worse than inflamed itchy toe when you're trying to sleep, let me tell you!!

- Good one scouse...I'd forgotten about Tonic Water - a great way to avoid leg cramps, too. Dare say the diet stuff does work- but some of the cheap brands contains fake Quinnine, so suspect that might not work)

I had a blood test earlier this year as I had developed arthritis in my feet. I showed positive for Barmer Forest virus another mozzy borne virus similar to Ross River virus. It appears I picked it up in Adelaide. It didn't explain my arthritis in the end though. I had no idea I had it. It can make you feel really tired but as a working Mum I feel like that a lot anyway!

-Well that's not good news, Pat.

Barmer Forest?!

-you don't mean Barmera, do you? ...it's up in the Riverland .

Guest Rob and Clare

This is off the Salisbury Council Website :

Mosquito Control

It’s that time of year again, when mosquitoes begin to breed and take flight, creating a nuisance in our local environments.

Mosquitoes are a nuisance that can never be entirely eradicated. At best their numbers can be controlled through careful maintenance.

Did you know?

· Mosquitoes breed in calm water

· Only female mosquitoes bite. They bite to get your blood to be able to produce eggs and breed

· Mosquitoes can carry disease such as Ross River Virus

· One small pool of calm water may produce thousands of mosquitoes each week!

Are you breeding your own mosquitoes?

What can we as a community do to control mosquitoes and stop them breeding?

You can start in your own backyard by recognising and controlling breeding sites..

· Throw away any unwanted containers which hold water (eg- old tyres, drums, pot plant bases etc).

· Seal or cover all openings in rainwater tanks to stop mosquitoes from getting in

· Make sure roof gutters are not holding water. Clean gutters out regularly

· Continuously filter and chlorinate swimming pool water. Unchlorinated pools allow breeding.

· Empty pot plant drip trays once a week or fill with sand

Self protection

· Check that fly screens around the home are fitted appropriately and do not have large holes.

· Avoid outdoor activities at dawn and dusk when mosquitoes are most active.

· When you are outside and mosquitoes are present, wear loose long sleeved shirts and long, loose pants and apply an insect repellent.

· A tropical strength insect repellent is the most effective protection for uncovered skin. Tropical strength repellents contain a chemical barrier which blocks the sensors of mosquitoes. Always follow the manufacturer’s instructions when using any type of insect repellent.

· Mosquito coils are also effective for discouraging unwelcome mosquito visitors at BBQ’s or other outdoor activities.

Guest Aussie pat
I think it is Barmah Forest Virus http://www.health.vic.gov.au/ideas/diseases/rrv_facts#symptoms

which appears to be very similar to Ross River Fever.

Thanks Cliffy, yes you're right, I couldn't remember how to spell it off the top of my head. Yes it was a surprise when I tested positive as I never even knew I had it. There isn't really any treatment for it other than easing symptoms so it probably doesn't matter anyway.

We stayed down at Glenelg near the Pat. a few years ago and were nearly eaten alive by Mozzies. I suspect that was when I was first exposed to it.

Guest rachinadelaide

The most effective way of not getting bitten is to invite me to any BBQs. My husband calls me his mozzie protection....whilst I am around they are not interested in anyone else!!