887 visa application and medicare eligibility

jim and adel

Hi all, it's my understanding that temporary residents get full medicare cover as soon as an 887 visa application is lodged (certainly that used to be the case). I recall a page about this on the medicare site but I can no longer find this and those helpful people staffing the medicare counter in Tea Tree Plaza say they know different and that full medicare only kicks in once the visa has been granted and that this has always been the case.

Can anyone point me in the direction of something official that gives the rules? I've looked in the obvious places - diac and medicare site - and while references there suggest that medicare may be available to applicants, I can't find anything definitive (but it used to be there somewhere 'cos I've read it!)

Perhaps the rule has changed?

Anyone help?

Thanks, Jim

Hi when we went from temp to Pr we had a total of three different cards.This was a few years ago now.

First Card Reciprocal took in passport to get this one

Second When we applied for Pr took in confirmation of application

Third one when we were Granted Pr and took Grant letter in

hope this helps

Hi when we went from temp to Pr we had a total of three different cards.This was a few years ago now.

First Card Reciprocal took in passport to get this one

Second When we applied for Pr took in confirmation of application

Third one when we were Granted Pr and took Grant letter in

hope this helps

Your second card - confirmation of application - is the point we're at. Adel has taken proof of our 887 application in but Medicare say we're not covered until we have the visa; they're unconcerned about whether we've applied or what we've applied for, hence my request for any official document showing this.

Thanks, Jim

Your second card - confirmation of application - is the point we're at. Adel has taken proof of our 887 application in but Medicare say we're not covered until we have the visa; they're unconcerned about whether we've applied or what we've applied for, hence my request for any official document showing this.

Thanks, Jim

We received an interim medicare card once the application for 887 was in, from the office at Marion. The lady told me it gave us full access but would be swapped for a permanent one once the visa was through - the visa came through a couple of days after the interim medicare card!

• 1 year later...