Asthma and Eczema and food allergies!!

Guest ladybird

Guest ladybird

Hiya, my daughter is asthmatic and has quite bad eczema and on a recent wanted down under a family in adelaide said her conditions had got worse!! Has anybody else found this and how is medicare affected by needing regular prescriptions? She is 3 so only a young one!

Plus myself and my daughters are allergic to cow's milk, whilst I know soya or soy milk is much more widely available in Oz does anyone else now if milk free foods are easily available. Does food have the same allergy warning labels we have here? Otherwise the weekly shop might take a long time!!

Guest steph&neil
Hiya, my daughter is asthmatic and has quite bad eczema and on a recent wanted down under a family in adelaide said her conditions had got worse!! Has anybody else found this and how is medicare affected by needing regular prescriptions? She is 3 so only a young one!

Plus myself and my daughters are allergic to cow's milk, whilst I know soya or soy milk is much more widely available in Oz does anyone else now if milk free foods are easily available. Does food have the same allergy warning labels we have here? Otherwise the weekly shop might take a long time!!

Hiya our son had acute eczema (where it went from bad to terrible in a matter of days) he had not once had an out break since we arrives almost 2 years ago (he was 5 then). Both my kids had an intolerance to full fat cows milk - although this has gotten easier with age! as they said it would when they were babies, both were in soya milk until 3 years of age & then cravendale semi-skimmed milk. Here we use the boost green semi skimmed milk, but this may have to be trial & error. Asthma is also not a prob as there arent many humid days, infact only recall a few! and then it was me that worst than the kids!

There are lots of milk free foods to choose from & they are big on gluten free products!

I hope this helps steph x

Unless you can identify the triggers it's impossible to say whether the symptoms will stay the same, get better or worse. Adelaide is one of those (many) places that gets tagged with the 'capital of the world' status when it comes to certain allergies and asthma.

Somebody else's experience is unlikely to mirror your own unless the same triggers (plus any number of other factors) are at play. The good thing is, because of the prevalence of asthma and allergies, there will be plenty of medical experience!

Good luck, Jim

Guest steph&neil
Unless you can identify the triggers it's impossible to say whether the symptoms will stay the same, get better or worse. Adelaide is one of those (many) places that gets tagged with the 'capital of the world' status when it comes to certain allergies and asthma.

Somebody else's experience is unlikely to mirror your own unless the same triggers (plus any number of other factors) are at play. The good thing is, because of the prevalence of asthma and allergies, there will be plenty of medical experience!

Good luck, Jim

Hi Jim I have to say I agree with you but, only to a point - in the case of eczema it is 80% inherited and a major factor is weather related rather than diet so the damp/humid weather is a major factor. Eczema starting in adulthood is much more likely to be diet & allergen reactive.

With regards to the allergies; children they are now classed as intolerance rather than allergic and anyone who suffers past the age of 5, (due the fact that all foods are now in the daily diet) they are treated as allergies, so you are quite right in saying that each person is different, I don't want to cause a storm in a tea cup but I am giving advice based on my experience not as gospel or doctors advice as infact most of the posts on this site are, and I felt that this is fair giving that I have been here for 8 seasons with children who suffered from these symptoms regularly when we lived in the Uk,

steph x

Hi Jim I have to say I agree with you but, only to a point - in the case of eczema it is 80% inherited and a major factor is weather related rather than diet so the damp/humid weather is a major factor. Eczema starting in adulthood is much more likely to be diet & allergen reactive.

With regards to the allergies; children they are now classed as intolerance rather than allergic and anyone who suffers past the age of 5, (due the fact that all foods are now in the daily diet) they are treated as allergies, so you are quite right in saying that each person is different, I don't want to cause a storm in a tea cup but I am giving advice based on my experience not as gospel or doctors advice as infact most of the posts on this site are, and I felt that this is fair giving that I have been here for 8 seasons with children who suffered from these symptoms regularly when we lived in the Uk,

steph x

I didn't mention eczema, just asthma and allergies generally. I don't know anything about eczema, having had no experience of it. I wasn't commenting on the advice you were giving; I read the OP post and responded to it without reading replies, so nothing I wrote had any reference to your post, and there's certainly no reason for you to think you need to show how your advice is meant to be 'fair'.

Jim

Guest ladybird

Thanks guys. The posts are helpful and i've been using the search facility to look at other past posts about this. I think she is growing out of the asthma so hopefully by the time we get out there (if we come) i hope she will have done. The eczema tends to flare up with anxiety and 'stress' factors plus when she has cow's milk so its good to know there is a good food choice. Not a lot i could do to lessen the stress side of it but she wants to live where kangaroo's are so might not be too bad lol

Guest lucy_20

hi just wanted to add that i have asthma..have for as long as i can remember and i have to admit even though i LOVE it in adelaide my asthma has worsened a fair bit... due to the sometimes dryness and humidity, saying that though medicare don't care how many prescriptions you get.. i have to refill my inhaler 1 or 2 a month... and doctors services over here are excellent!

I hope you decide to come over...its a once in a life time opportunity that im fairly certain it won't regret!!

good luck with everything!!!! :)