private healthcare

Guest markmet

Guest markmet

Hi everyone

We are looking into taking out some private medical insurance, and just wandered if someone could recommend a good reasonably priced provider. We are just looking for basic hospital cover with extras such as dental and optical services.

Thanks in advance

Chris

Depends on the level of cover, but you could go for :

Mutual community, good dental and loads of preferred hospitals;

Medibank private, who basically are govt run, i think...........just put up some premiums too.

They have websites, check them out and be sure to get exactly what you need, especially ambulkance cover!!

Jane

Guest willfam

Hi,

have a look at: Private Health Insurance Australia - iSelect. This may help. All you need to do is answer a few questions and it will give you the name of health insurance companies that may suit. We are with Australian Unity and whenever we go to the dentist in particular they always comment on how much Aust Unity pay towards the bill.

Guest TraceyT
Hi everyone

We are looking into taking out some private medical insurance, and just wandered if someone could recommend a good reasonably priced provider. We are just looking for basic hospital cover with extras such as dental and optical services.

Thanks in advance

Chris

My cousin from Perth came to visit me last weekend and that was a question I hit her with. She uses Australian Unity, but has been with them for years, so the price is very reasonable to her. She told me to google 'healthcare compare australia'. She also mentioned 'select one' (or something like that).

Good luck with it all & please pass on any companies you feel are reasonable.

Thanks

Guest markmet

Hi

Thanks to everyone for the useful info. Have got quotes from some of the suggested healthcare providers, and initially had quotes that werent too bad. Then comes the stumbling block. Apparently as we are 475 visa holders we are classed as overseas visitors. I have tried to get the point across that we live here we are not visiting. We had a qoute for $164 per month now the same company are quoting $370 because we are visitors. If we are only visitirs how come they are quick enough to tax my husband $500 dollars per week. Sorry rant over. Just wandered if anyone else had this same problem on the 475 and whether there was a way round this.

Thanks

Chris

Hi, we were in the same situation...............

We opted for the medicare, and medibank private blue ribbon extras; however you can get hospital cover too, just dont swallow the lines they feed you.

Soon as we went to PR, changed our medicare details, and the premium cover suited our family best.

Hope that helps.

Jane

however you can get hospital cover too, just dont swallow the lines they feed you.

I'm not sure what's meant by that, but if it's 'pretend you're a permanent rather than temporary resident' then I'd suggest caution. Friends of ours did that and had a claim rejected. Lots of premiums paid, nothing to show for it ...

Jim

Certainly would NOT suggest any pretence!

More a caution to be wary of the sales speil.............some companies will use pressure for you to get more than you actually need as a temporary resident!

Sounds as if your dishonest friends got their just desserts!!!!!!

Sorry, totally misunderstood what you meant - now that I see I fully agree.

Yep, they were of the 'we're not paying that much for health cover' mentality, but in the end paid for something they couldn't access. It is a tough one for temporary residents, though.

Jim

There's a lot of that mentality about Jim, sadly.

Health cover is so important, the reciprocal care just wont cut it.

Sadly, your friends found out the hard way................and even simple things can cost a packet.

Simple advice is to get the best you can afford for your family, espesh dental, ambulance and hospital cover......trust me, its worth a little extra.

I havent experienced the public system, but being in the "trade", i do have some reservations about ever needing to.........................

Hi everyone

Thanks in advance

Chris

Remember as well that in Australia they age load at a level of 2% for each year you are over the age of 30. If you get insurance within a year of arriving in the country they are not allowed to do this. However, they may not "remember" to do this and to be fair some operators don't even know this is the policy. You have to do it over the phone not online.

Liz (this was a good PIA tip that saved us loads as we would never have known)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

Just a quick question, we will be arriving Oct on a 176 visa. I know we will qualify for state medical, what does this entail? Does most people still take out private medical insurance?

Any good site I can visit to have a look.

Thanks,