Problem

fluffy

Guest mez10

I'm here on a 457 visa and I filled all the forms in from my new company about Health Insurance etc back in December. But when I arrived I was told that I don't need to join a Health Insurance due because the UK is now on the reciprocal health care list. They gave me the option to still join the company scheme, but when I checked the details it didn't cover any dental work.

I would check before signing up for any Insurance, you might not need it.

Good Luck with the move

Darren

Guest steph&neil
My application for 457 asks me to prove I have adequate health insurance, before they can process it. none have my family have any health issues and we are all due to havemedicals on wednesday.

Hi we came out on 457 - the recipical agreement is enough - we do have private health insurance now - with kids the ambulance cover is a must - never needed to use it but at about $120 (I think thats about right?) for a years family cover compared to an $800 bill if you need one in an emergancy it is well worth getting as soon as you get out here!

Steph

Guest steph&neil
Thanks I don't want to sound dull but what is recipical agreement and how do I get it?

Hiya the recipical agreement is not something you apply for, when you register for the first time you will be asked for your passport, you should apply for your medicare card after you arrive, in person, there are offices at various locations all over Adelaide & the suburbs. There is no hurry, but if you require to see a doctor before you have this you may be asked to pay in full before you will be seen - you can still claim the medicare paid part back when you register for the first time.

You will then be sent a medicare card which looks similar to your NI card will all family members listed on the card, and it will say recipicol acreement card on it. All UK passport holders are entitled to this - even tourists so if you have visitors that require to be seen by a doctor they can claim some of the cost back.

When you go to the doctors you show the card & although some doctors bulk bill (no charge) most will charge you at the end of your appointment (we are about $50) you then claim back $33(not sure if this has increased but this is approx) from medicare, leaving the gap as your part. While the system of paying to see a doctor is strange you will find that there are no noisy recieptionists trying to put you in 2 weeks from now - we are always seen the same day, you can choose any doctor and fill in a simple reg form - no zones. Please note that emergency out of hours treatment at public hospital are free & children under 16 are also free at the doctors after showing your medicare card.

Our son had a small op at the women & childrens hospital & after seeing the consultant was done under the public system within 3 week (not as emergency) & everything was free! Also last year had the out of hours doctor come to the house at 3am to see our daughter - simply showed the medicare card when he arrived.

I just realised how much I wrote - sorry but I found it hard to understand the system when we first arrived & wished I had asked! Steph x

Hiya the recipical agreement is not something you apply for, when you register for the first time you will be asked for your passport, you should apply for your medicare card after you arrive, in person, there are offices at various locations all over Adelaide & the suburbs. There is no hurry, but if you require to see a doctor before you have this you may be asked to pay in full before you will be seen - you can still claim the medicare paid part back when you register for the first time.

You will then be sent a medicare card which looks similar to your NI card will all family members listed on the card, and it will say recipicol acreement card on it. All UK passport holders are entitled to this - even tourists so if you have visitors that require to be seen by a doctor they can claim some of the cost back.

When you go to the doctors you show the card & although some doctors bulk bill (no charge) most will charge you at the end of your appointment (we are about $50) you then claim back $33(not sure if this has increased but this is approx) from medicare, leaving the gap as your part. While the system of paying to see a doctor is strange you will find that there are no noisy recieptionists trying to put you in 2 weeks from now - we are always seen the same day, you can choose any doctor and fill in a simple reg form - no zones. Please note that emergency out of hours treatment at public hospital are free & children under 16 are also free at the doctors after showing your medicare card.

Our son had a small op at the women & childrens hospital & after seeing the consultant was done under the public system within 3 week (not as emergency) & everything was free! Also last year had the out of hours doctor come to the house at 3am to see our daughter - simply showed the medicare card when he arrived.

I just realised how much I wrote - sorry but I found it hard to understand the system when we first arrived & wished I had asked! Steph x

That information is great, could you let me know how I apply and who to.

Thanks

Guest PeterT
How do I get insurance to go with my 457 visa as they ask for an australian adress and as of yet we don't have one. we are hoping to come end of July.

I am assuming, as you dont have an Australian address yet, that you are referring to the visa requirement to prove you have insurance at the application stage. My understanding from our recent application process is that you are not able to use the Medicare reciprocity that you are entitled to as a UK citizen.

For our application I simply scanned the policy document of our travel insurance policy provided with our bank account and supplied that. It was obviously sufficient as our visas were issued the following day. ( I had to resend the file as some pages had not scanned adequately)

I would suggest, if you dont already have such a policy, purchase one from somewhere, there are many cheap annual policies available, and send your case officer that.

If, once you are there, you decide to rely on medicare I would certainly consider taking out at least ambulance cover which I believe isnt covered by Medicare. The South Australian Ambulance Service runs their own policy which would cover you nationwide, and from what I recall it is not expensive, far less than one call out.

Good luck,

Peter