Scary Dentist costs

Guest k8bug79

Guest k8bug79

HI , I have just been reading a post on pio about dental costs. OMG they are extortionate. I would have responded on there but thought as we are heading to Adeliade that I would get advice from the people already there. How does the dental system work there? Do you get any help at all with costs? We are a family of 5 and my husband has quite a lot of trouble with his teeth so I am terrified that the kids may follow suit and end up bankrupting us. I am not that bothered about having medical insurance as I think the state care looks adequate enough plus i doubt we'll earn above the threshold for no help. I think I am right in thinking there is a medicard system?

How much do you reckon dentists cost you, and is there a way of getting just dental insurance, is it worthwhile etc?

Thanks

It is worthwhile do get some extra insurance that has a dental benefit. That being said, I am going to be about $10K out of pocket over a period of 3 years after a bad fall last year. It isn't cheap here and unfortunately dental isn't covered under Medicare. Just suss out the health insurance plans and see if it's worth it for you. If you ever need a recommendation for an endodontist (who gives discounts) and an orthodontist (who spreads payments out over a few years), let me know;)

Guest parko

Hi ave just had two back teeth out three weeks ago cost me $370 dollers our son starts his treament on the 13th of this month ie,braces fitted and we got to pay $800.00 dollers on the day but the full cost of his treament over a 18 month period is $5000 dollers.

parko

HI , I have just been reading a post on pio about dental costs. OMG they are extortionate. I would have responded on there but thought as we are heading to Adeliade that I would get advice from the people already there. How does the dental system work there? Do you get any help at all with costs? We are a family of 5 and my husband has quite a lot of trouble with his teeth so I am terrified that the kids may follow suit and end up bankrupting us. I am not that bothered about having medical insurance as I think the state care looks adequate enough plus i doubt we'll earn above the threshold for no help. I think I am right in thinking there is a medicard system?

How much do you reckon dentists cost you, and is there a way of getting just dental insurance, is it worthwhile etc?

Thanks

Kate,

You can just get Extras cover which includes dental, chiro, physio, ortho, etc. depending on level. We are family of 5 and got top level as it had top level of ortho cover and we are assuming all three may need it. I have to say we have gone for Hospitalisation as well. Most important is to get ambulance cover regardless (most people suggest post office but we got ours for about $65 for all 5 of us from another company) as an emergency call out can be well over a $1000.

Liz

Guest k8bug79
Kate,

You can just get Extras cover which includes dental, chiro, physio, ortho, etc. depending on level. We are family of 5 and got top level as it had top level of ortho cover and we are assuming all three may need it. I have to say we have gone for Hospitalisation as well. Most important is to get ambulance cover regardless (most people suggest post office but we got ours for about $65 for all 5 of us from another company) as an emergency call out can be well over a $1000.

Liz

Thanks, do you mind telling me how much you pay roughly a month for your medical? I knew about ambulance cover but thought you just got it from SA ambulance, are you saying you can buy it elsewhere?

Guest guest569

Took both my kids to the orthadontist this week !!:shocked: my 9 yr old was told to come back in a couple of years as she will need a few teeth pulled to make room for others to grow ( and i thought her mouth was big enough !!)

My 7 year old son was told a small brace is needed to correct a crossed overbite at $820.:chatterbox:

Thanks, do you mind telling me how much you pay roughly a month for your medical? I knew about ambulance cover but thought you just got it from SA ambulance, are you saying you can buy it elsewhere?

Ambulance cover is generally included in any private cover you purchase but most companies sell ambulance only insurance. We purchased ours from HBF. I've PM'd you the rest.

Liz

Many private health insurance schemes only cover you and your family for emergency ambulance services. They do not cover for non-emergency services and depending on the exclusions, do not cover for the cost of transporting you between hospitals or from your own home, amongst others. SA Ambulance subscription cover all uses.

Thanks just reading about noble dentist has anyone used/ heard of them?

Definitely heard of them, but last time I checked they only had one registered practioner in Adelaide, think he is/was in Payneham which is just to the East of the City. So depends where you're living whether it would be any good for you.

Also, I get sent a voucher once a year for each of my kids for a dental check up. From Centrelink or the Government or someone (don't look a gifthorse and all that!) - they also get low cost dentistry through the school dentist service - about $30 a time i think it is, as long as they're in full time school, so between those two I manage to get my kids' teeth checked twice a year for minimal cost. Luckily so far neither have needed anything orthodontally. Again though, I think even with private cover, you're limited as to how much of orthodontic costs you can claim back in a year.

For us adults, I just pay direct - found it works out cheaper that way than the regular private cover costs. I always make sure I tell the dentist first that I am doing this, so he doesn't do extra bits without checking first!! You can also claim something like 20% back against tax for any medical costs over something like $1500 a year - that includes other medical stuff (like my laser eye surgery last year) and also dentists stuff I understand. Check with your friendly accountant!!

Kate,

You can just get Extras cover which includes dental, chiro, physio, ortho, etc. depending on level. We are family of 5 and got top level as it had top level of ortho cover and we are assuming all three may need it.

Obviously I've no idea what the upper limit of your cover is, but ours is very limited. It's a bit of a false sense of security to think that you're insured, only to find that just the first few hundred dollars of a large bill is covered.

Jim

I have been with Mutual Community for a few years and am happy with them. They have a list of preferred providers and my dentist and chiropractor are on that list and for my chiro I only pay a few dollars each visit. My teeth aren't too bad and I've usually only paid a few dollars there also because they are on that preferred list. There is another called MBF that some people I know use and they think they are good. We prefer to pay separate ambulance which we pay direct with St Johns Ambulance - it works out cheaper to get the subscription for a year rather than tack it on to your medical insurance as it then detracts from the other options you can take.