Any advice for handover files????

Guest russell 12

Guest russell 12

Hi all

Has, or is anyone else preparing handover files from their dentist and hospital/GP in prep for their move to Oz? :nah: I have been in contact with my GP who will charge me around £15 for my files, hospital are charging £10 handling fee and then a maximum price of £50 and have an appointment at the dentist next week for a check up.......dare i ask for a handover file?:chatterbox: Do we nedd them? has anyone else gone over with them?

Please help!

Louise;)

Hi all

Has, or is anyone else preparing handover files from their dentist and hospital/GP in prep for their move to Oz? :nah: I have been in contact with my GP who will charge me around £15 for my files, hospital are charging £10 handling fee and then a maximum price of £50 and have an appointment at the dentist next week for a check up.......dare i ask for a handover file?:chatterbox: Do we nedd them? has anyone else gone over with them?

Please help!

Louise;)

Hi louise,

Not 100% sure but i seen to recall a previous post about this and seem to remember the general advice was not to bother as the way the medicare system works and the fact you are able to turn up at any doctors the need for medical records etc is not really necessary. Please dont take that as gospel and im sure once the crew wake up down below a more definitive and possibly correct answer will be given based on going through the process

Guest Aussiebound

When we where at the dentist a few weeks ago, i mentioned emigrating and hand over files. The receptionist said they would hand over files but at a cost - didn't want to know how much at the time as we had not long paid for the visa fees etc, but as with everything else at the dentist I don't imagine it will be cheap!

As to whether we really need them, I have no idea, just going by the planner in the Australia magazine that says to take them!

Sarah

I asked my gp receptionist how I would go about getting the records to adelaide and was told, wait until you are there and we will forward any relavent information to them.

My dentist on the other hand said that there was no need to transfer any information over, as the care would just start afresh with whatever dentist you registered with as you would need to get an initial consultation with them.

Don't know if this is any help or not.

Guest dglamoore
I think this might be the thread you are looking for

http://www.pomsinadelaide.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1163&highlight=medical+records

Thanks pete, was just going to answer so saves me typing it all in again :jiggy:had first experience with docs this week too. Very easy with no hassles. Phoned up to make appointment, take medicare card and see doc. No records even mentionned :cute:

Unless you have ongoing dental treatment that your dentist here would need to see then no need to bring them either. They just do an xray to see what is going on and go from there :) so save your money!

Lisa:v_SPIN:

Guest sarahsmartiepants

Agree there with LIsa, if there is a long history of doc or dentists visits,adn you feel it would be better for your new doc/dentist to read then bring them.

we personnally havent needed them, I am severly anemic and only had to tell the doc, she did fresh tests, that was it.

I would say though to bring any immunisation records you have for your child, that might not be necessary if your kids are still youbg....you can remember what they have had, mine had thiers so long ago now I have forgotten most of them:embarrassed:, there are different ones here to have, some they are too old for but they have just had hep B.

ssarah

We brought copies of our medical files with us, the Dr's scanned them on to the computer. I don't really think it is that important unless you have an ongoing illness or as sarah said for kids vaccinations - we needed to prove what jabs they had and hadn't had, but you should have that info in your red book! :)

At the end of the day if you want to bring it bring it if not don't worry. If I was doing it again I wouldn't worry about mine or my husbands, but I would about the kids as they both have asthma and the dr was better able to write their 'asthma action plans'.:D

• 3 months later...
Guest katsmajic

Hi,

My GP surgery did us computer print outs of important information for free, just stuff like vacc's and c-sections etc.

Our dentist has even offered us our sons xray to take as he has a misplaced insisor - which is best left alone apparently.

My consultant whos been treating my broken leg has said hes contacting his 'friend/colleague' in Adelaide to refer my case to make sure i stay in good hands - and hes giving me all my notes/scans/xrays to take as well...we have got lovely DR's here. x

• 2 years later...
Guest SaraLouiseSaunders

We paid £10 for our doctors notes each and the dentist advised not to bother as they generally will make an assessment of you themselves

Sara & Mark

Guest ben&sharon

I'd say bring it all if you have a history. We paid around £70 for our GP to print it all off for the three of us and our doctor has been delighted to get it all - at least we have everything on record. It's helped to speed things up for my OH to get treatment at Flinders for an ongoing problem - we've avoided having to go through all the initial tests again.

Sharon.