Wisdom teeth

Jessica Berry

Hi

Just wondering if anyone has had their wisdom teeth taken out in Australia and can offer any information/advice?

My wisdom teeth are not giving me any problems or pain but the dentist wants to take the top one and bottom one out on the right hand side as he reckons there is cyst next to the bottom one and it is pushing on the tooth next to it and it will cause a hole and I will lose that tooth as well and he reckons the top one is too big as it has nothing to grind against below.

I am not sure whether I want to have them taken out, I am not going to do anything yet until I consider all options and I think I will get a second opinion from another dentist.

The last thing my UK dentist told me before I emigrated is 'don't let the Australian dentists take your wisdom teeth out', he reckoned the Australian's were obsessed with taking your wisdom teeth out, the Aussies say the UK dentists are behind the times, so you don't know what to believe!

Thanks

I would have as much dental work done in the UK, as you can!!!! I am not saying its because the Australian dentists are not good...my dentist is brilliant...probably one of the best I've had!!! BUT...its the cost!!!! Dental treatment is extortionate over here!!!! Private health brings the cost down....but if you don't have that...omg....second mortgage time!

I would have as much dental work done in the UK, as you can!!!! I am not saying its because the Australian dentists are not good...my dentist is brilliant...probably one of the best I've had!!! BUT...its the cost!!!! Dental treatment is extortionate over here!!!! Private health brings the cost down....but if you don't have that...omg....second mortgage time!

The last thing my UK dentist told me before I emigrated is 'don't let the Australian dentists take your wisdom teeth out'

I don't live in the UK, I live in Adelaide, see part of my posting above. I have Medibank Private Extras so that will cover some of the cost of the wisdom teeth, but I am more concerned about whether I actually need them out in the first place.

My son had his wisdom teeth out in hospital. It is cheaper if you can have them out in rooms but it depends on the lie of them for this. It was about $1200 to have em out, this included the follow up visit a week later. There was also the extra $200 or so for the anaesthetist after rebates from medicare and our health fund. This was for all four teeth out. My daughter had two teeth out in the dentists rooms and it cost us nothing as she is under 26 and still covered as a dependent youth.

Guest kangomik

They do like to take them out, The Mr's had her's out and had to pay for the anaesthatist. But she did have problems.

Mine keeps trying to persuade me, and to be honest one deffinately does need to come out.

As for being behind the times, i am not sure.

Guest Alipally

If they don't hurt then I wouldn't do anything about it....

Did you have the cyst before you left the UK? Can you see it? It may be worth seeking a second opinion.

I had a temp filling done in Mt Gambier whilst there on business. (cost me $2 gap after Health insurance) The dentist was really good and looked up a dentist in Adelaide who he said 'won't rip you off with unecessaries'!!

Sorry I can't be more help, but if the tooth isn't rotten, can be cleaned, doesn't cause pain or discomfort, why oh why would you want to take it out?

Just my opinion!! ;)

If they don't hurt then I wouldn't do anything about it....

Did you have the cyst before you left the UK? Can you see it? It may be worth seeking a second opinion.

I had a temp filling done in Mt Gambier whilst there on business. (cost me $2 gap after Health insurance) The dentist was really good and looked up a dentist in Adelaide who he said 'won't rip you off with unecessaries'!!

Sorry I can't be more help, but if the tooth isn't rotten, can be cleaned, doesn't cause pain or discomfort, why oh why would you want to take it out?

Just my opinion!! ;)

Thanks for your advice.

The wisdom tooth at the bottom is just poking through my gum, so you can hardly tell it is there. I have not had any problems with my wisdom teeth and they have been there for years.

I am wondering the same as you, do I really need to take them out. I suppose I am more cautious because of what my UK dentist said to me before we left the UK and wonder if it is really necessary.

When I was 19 my dentist told me my upper wisdom teeth needed removing otherwise I would be in a lot of pain. I am now 43 and although the wisdom teeth have been filled and apparently are crumbling away.. my ozzie dentist says..if it don't hurt..don't touuch it.

Wisdom teeth are useless. If the top one is too big..leave it. If you value the tooth next to your bottom wisdom tooth and feel you can't live without it..get it taken out. Cysts can be dangerous.

My daughter had a couple taken out and a submerged tooth pulled down. It cost $650 for the hospital room, $375 for the anestsitist but got 300 back from medicare and the surgeon cost $300 but got $200 back from our health cover.

My dentist here in adelaide basically said my wisdom teeth could stay where they are for the moment, but will need taking out as soon as one of them starts causing problems (and might as well take both out at once so only have to go through the process once). Shouldn't be more than a couple thousand all up, not sure how much the health insurance will pay, but I'll worry about that when the time comes.

only have bottom ones, both are completely sideways, one has come through the gum, but doesn't hurt.

Can't really compare to UK dentist, as erm, it's been ahem, quite a while since I'd been to the dentist.

Guest sarahtwinn82

My hubby had to have a root canal filling done in one of his wisdom teeth just after we arrived in Sydney. We found a very good emergency dentist who wouldnt extract it even though my hubby would have preferred that at the time. The total treatment cost $400 including xray. This was much cheaper than our UK dentist charged for a root canal filling I had a while back.

I would take notice of what your dentist tells you, and if you have doubts seek advice from another dentist. Dont put too much weight on what your UK dentist said.