GP So how does it work!??

Sears Family

Hi I've been suffering with a bad throat since monday, have 2 golf balls :sad: (have tried gargle potion that tastes like germaline - YUCK!) but only sooths it for a short time so figure if it remains for a few more days I may well have to see a professional!!

So how does it work? Do I need to register with a local GP Surgery (We'll be living in Seaford Meadows) or are they walk in centres?

Only picked up the midicare forms Tuesday so yet to get a card - hopefuly today if they process it that quickly?

If anyone could recommend a good doctor near us that also bulk bills (!?) that would be great.

Oh do they charge for consultation??

please help!

Regards

Von x

Guest guest569

Ive been to the one at seaford Meadows and they are ok. I then lined up to pay the gap on the consultation and they said nothing to pay:err: so they must bulk bill.:goofy:

Can't remember the Dr's name but he was a scouser and a really nice bloke.

You need to go to your nearest Medicare office and get a Medicare number first, ask them for a temporary card, as it takes about three weeks for a proper one to be sent. This also applies if you are a visitor and need medical treatment. You will need your passport and other id.

You can then go to any doctor's whatsoever, can be any area, where ever you can get in to be seen.

If they bulk bill, you will not pay anything, otherwise you pay and claim back a large part from Medicare. The surgery will provide you with the form to sign. You will also need your Medicare No. to receive scripts at the PBS rate.

Guest northernstar200

Hi there. We live in Aldinga, and when we try to book appointment for the doctor it can sometimes be a couple of days. But there is the alternative of the

GP Plus - After hours medical centre (8557 9555)

on pridham boulevard

U ring them up and they usually fit you in that day from about 6pm - 10pm And you dont pay for the consultation.

But i do think you would still need the medicare card number.

Hope this helps

Tracy

Guest verulam

You shouldn't have a problem. I was in Adelaide on holiday and had an accident with a very sharp knife while I was there. Did'nt have a medicare card as i was only there for a couple of weeks but got free treatment (stitches and a tetanus jab) at the Lyell Mcewin hospital. I then went into Elizabeth centre and registered for a temporary medicare card and then was able to have my stitches removed at the local doctors surgery at no cost before I flew back to the UK. The local surgery could have stitched me up but wouldnt do it as I didnt have a medicare card at the time..handy to know the state hospital would do it for free! Now got a permanent scar as a reminder of my holiday LOL

Guest Nicky&Andy

i was told by a local to go to the hackham medical centre, its up by collinades nr to the hospital its like a walk in centre , havent needed to go there yet so thats all i can tell you,

hope u feel better soon

Hi there

We went to see a GP last month for my blood pressure tablets. Even though they bulk billed, we still need to pay 30 dollar for the gap. But got a prescription for 6 months. if you need to buy medicine, chemist warehouse is one of the cheapest for prescription . Before we knew chemist warehouse, we went to a pharmacy near our house, and had to paid 30 dollar for my tablets. In chemist warehouse, we only paid, 23 dollars, and cheaper if you buy three months in advance. For my wife, even cheaper. The price difference is 15 dollars between chemist warehouse and another pharmacy.

kind regards

Hi we ended up at Seaford family centre, really nice and easy to get sorted (with medicare number in hand!) I didnt have to pay for consultation - Tonsillitus BTW :(

But just went across the road with prescription and paid $18 for 12 days worth - do I need to (or indeed can we) claim back meds?

Will see where nearest chemist warehouse is as Im on Thyroxine so cheaper the better!! :)

Thanks for your help x

Unfortunately no, you can't claim any meds, nor are children's prescriptions free.

The PBS limit is around $33 per item but if you allow brand substitution, or the cost is below that, you may get it for less. There is also a Safety net and concession card for low income earners to pay a reduced rate. Centrelink has details on that.

Guest tinkham_lee

The nearest chemist warehouse to you is at Moana Heights next to the foodland at the top of the hill on commercial road. We always go there and they are alot cheaper than the pharmacy in Seaford shopping centre